New member STW 3 info required

Colin Friend

Featured Posts

Hi. I have had my narrow boat a while now and it could do with a service.

There doesn't seem to be many 3 pot water cooled around, can anyone recommend a helpful expert.  

I saw a book called Lister the ST range. Does anyone own it, how good is it?  Does it tell you the sump quantity of oil.   I believe its 10 W 40, are good car oils suitable

Last question

What coolant is recommended 

Cheers

Colin

27 minutes ago, Colin Friend said:

Hi. I have had my narrow boat a while now and it could do with a service.

There doesn't seem to be many 3 pot water cooled around, can anyone recommend a helpful expert.  

I saw a book called Lister the ST range. Does anyone own it, how good is it?  Does it tell you the sump quantity of oil.   I believe its 10 W 40, are good car oils suitable

Last question

What coolant is recommended 

Cheers

Colin

Its not a common engine on the canals, it was a lifeboat engine but the Lister details are here    http://listerparts.co.uk/STW.html

The sump capacity is most likely the same as the air cooled ST3.  You have the dipstick? fill it to the full mark, run it for a few minutes and top up if necessary.  Does your engine have an oil filter? Many do not.

Decent mineral 10w40 or 15w40 oil will be fine-----not synthetic oils.

Water cooled needs 30 percent antifreeze to prevent corrosion and frost damage. Capacity depend on you boat cooling arrangement, i.e. skin tank capacity.

Edited by Tracy D'arth

Many thanks for the reply.  Now that you have mentioned life boats "I am intrigued".  It does have an oil filter. I have the part numbers for a service, how many hours would you say "oil and filter" under medium load. Someone said 250. ?????

Forum member RLWP has considerable professional experience of older Listers. Whether he services them I don't know. He trades as either Marine Engine Services or Primrose Engineering, or perhaps both.

If you can find a copy of the ST workshop manual there is a section in there which covers the STW engine. You should be able to find a free download  on the Internet. This engine was mainly sold for use in sea going craft such as small fishing boats where it would have been raw water cooled. It was also available as a keel cooled version for use in narrow boats although never as popular as the air cooled version. It was also modified and sold to companies such as Watercraft down in Gosport for use in ships lifeboats. The lifeboat engines had a number of internal mods to allow them to run upside down and also submerged to above crankshaft level.