"Educate them" he said

Midnight

Featured Posts

Heard today that Richard Parry was hit by a speeding cyclist at Cambrian Wharf in Birmingham. Can't validate it or when but it was from a reliable source. If it's true maybe Mr Parry will realise his education program isn't worth a jot. 

• Love 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Heartland said:

Despite signs, some cyclists do speed through Tindal Bridge, past Cambrian Wharf and down Farmers Bridge Locks. it is becoming a no go area for pedestrians.

There were electric bikes wizing up there a couple of weeks ago, not the pedal assist type,

17 hours ago, Midnight said:

Heard today that Richard Parry was hit by a speeding cyclist at Cambrian Wharf in Birmingham. Can't validate it or when but it was from a reliable source. If it's true maybe Mr Parry will realise his education program isn't worth a jot. 

When did this happen please? 

29 minutes ago, MtB said:

When did this happen please? 

I don't think the OP knows.

17 hours ago, Midnight said:

The way to sort out the bike problem is for pedestrians to have a zero tolerance attitude. Just don't get out of the way. Carry on as usual. 

There are generally more pedestrians than there are cyclists and few if any cyclists will be out to deliberately hit someone with the bike. 

Let them pass when it is safe and appropriate. 

This way the data they upload to the servers will indicate slower speeds and people on a mission might take other routes. 

Pedestrians DO have priority over cyclists. It's obvious but jumping out the way is NOT the right approach at all! 

Cyclists occasionally do the "reclaim the streets" type of thing so why don't ramblers do the same on footpaths. 

Bad cycling on towpaths removes a very valuable amenity from locals. It's sad really as the towpath could be a very pleasant place to be especially in inner city areas. But it isn't because of a minority of mindless scum. 

Edited by magnetman
  • Greenie 3

39 minutes ago, magnetman said:

The way to sort out the bike problem is for pedestrians to have a zero tolerance attitude. Just don't get out of the way. Carry on as usual. 

There are generally more pedestrians than there are cyclists and few if any cyclists will be out to deliberately hit someone with the bike. 

This way the data they upload to the servers will indicate slower speeds and people on a mission might take other routes. 

Pedestrians DO have priority over cyclists. It's obvious but jumping out the way is NOT the right approach at all! 

Cyclists occasionally do the "reclaim the streets" type of thing so why don't ramblers do the same on footpaths. 

Bad cycling on towpaths removes a very valuable amenity from locals. It's sad really as the towpath could be a very pleasant place to be especially in inner city areas. But it isn't because of a minority of mindless scum. 

At 73 years old I am not going to stand in front of half a dozen lycra clad 30 year old males doing 20mph down the towpath or even 3 teenagers on electric bikes

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

What is needed is a group of about 30 people of various ages and build. Split the group into groups of 3 20metres apart. The smallest group of 3 at the front, then the next snallest 20mtrs in front, until you get the big boy's at the front all with their mobiles handy. When said cyclist rings bell at the first group of 3 they don't get out of the way! Said cyclist gets frustrated and shouts abuse. Group slowley move over, rings all the group so they know what's coming. Next group 20mtrs ahead does same. Said cyclist heard more abuse. Repeat u till they get to the last group of 3 which are built like brick sh*t houses. Then ask them to be more aware of pedestrians in the nicecest way. 😜😜

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

What is needed is a group of about 30 people of various ages and build. Split the group into groups of 3 20metres apart. The smallest group of 3 at the front, then the next snallest 20mtrs in front, until you get the big boy's at the front all with their mobiles handy. When said cyclist rings bell at the first group of 3 they don't get out of the way! Said cyclist gets frustrated and shouts abuse. Group slowley move over, rings all the group so they know what's coming. Next group 20mtrs ahead does same. Said cyclist heard more abuse. Repeat u till they get to the last group of 3 which are built like brick sh*t houses. Then ask them to be more aware of pedestrians in the nicecest way. 😜😜

Very good. I'd rather they did it in yards, though.

I still think there is a case for closing sections of the canal to cyclists. I was watching cyclists outside Brindley Place last evening and the hassle caused to the walkers on the towpath there. Both cyclists and the electric cyclists were in evidence and any observance of the 8  mph rule was not evident. With eating and drinking establishments on this section, the towpath is restricted and yet some cyclist choose to speed and ring bells or shout to get people out out of their way. Slowing down is not evidently on their agenda and close encounters with the pedestrians not of their concern.

The way some cyclists weave between the walkers can be considered dangerous and a near miss in Health & Safety terms. I wonder what the CRT Risk Assessment is for the towpath at Brindley Place and if it exists would they care to publish it? 

Clearly the rules put out by the CRT are ignored.

CRT could issue a notice impose fines for breaking the code, then bring in SIA badged staff to "police" sections of towpath.  These staff Issue a warning for the first abuse, collect identities in in a legal way for abusers. For repeated offenders issue a fine. 

1 minute ago, Heartland said:

I still think there is a case for closing sections of the canal to cyclists. I was watching cyclists outside Brindley Place last evening and the hassle caused to the walkers on the towpath there. Both cyclists and the electric cyclists were in evidence and any observance of the 8  mph rule was not evident. With eating and drinking establishments on this section, the towpath is restricted and yet some cyclist choose to speed and ring bells or shout to get people out out of their way. Slowing down is not evidently on their agenda and close encounters with the pedestrians not of their concern.

The way some cyclists weave between the walkers can be considered dangerous and a near miss in Health & Safety terms. I wonder what the CRT Risk Assessment is for the towpath at Brindley Place and if it exists would they care to publish it? 

CRT could issue a notice impose fines for breaking the code, then bring in SIA badged staff to "police" sections of towpath.  These staff Issue a warning for the first abuse, collect identities in in a legal way for abusers. For repeated offenders issue a fine. 

They divert them away from the towpath in front of the café at Hatton

7 minutes ago, Heartland said:

I asked their (or BWs) London office for a copy of their risk assessment for the mass Skyrides taking place along the London towpaths, and they claimed it was up to Skyride to produce it. I bet they do not exist because if they did, CaRT would be obliged to do something effective to protect pedestrians.

4 hours ago, Heartland said:

the electric cyclists were in evidence and any observance of the 8  mph rule was not evident.  

Its not just the towpaths in Birmingham  https://metro.co.uk/2021/08/04/birmingham-e-scooter-rider-spotted-on-motorway-hard-shoulder-15036682/