E10 petrol in generators (and garden equipment)

Slim

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, jonathanA said:

. It does burn very cleanly so its great in hedge cutters or saws where you get regularly get gob fulls of exhaust. Too expensive for lawnmowers or gennys.

This is the thing that those who use it seem to appreciate the most, spend a day in a conny hedge in a fug of 2 stroke exhaust and I can see the advantage.

It is worth saying though that there can be problems swapping over from old school to Aspen, apparently the rubber bits can break down due to some effect of old school fuel on the rubber bits which is removed by Aspen, just replace and run Aspen and all good it seems

21 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Neither can I, and my experience with the automotive industry is that they look at what is needed around the world and make for the 'worst case' knowing that it will work with other fuels as well.

If it works with E10, it'll work with E5 or neat petrol.

A typical example of this is the car wiring harness - every car harness (within a model line) is identical and has cabling for every option available, electric windows, air con, etc etc etc, if the model going down the line does not need air con, then the cable is just not used.

It is far more economical to build one single harness (not stopping production, replacing the harness boards starting up manufacturing again etc etc, then having to stock 100's of variations of harness to accomodate the number of variants, so you'd need one with JUST Air-con, another with BOTH  Air-Con and ABS, another with ABS and electric sun-roof and so on,) 

Since the 1990's cars have used the CANBUS system, where the loom consists of a loop going to each component in turn, and a dedicated code sent to switch that component on or off. Saves on the cost of wiring to each component.

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

Since the 1990's cars have used the CANBUS system, where the loom consists of a loop going to each component in turn, and a dedicated code sent to switch that component on or off. Saves on the cost of wiring to each component.

I retired in 2005 and I can assure you that the harness makers who were supplying into Ford, Rover, Nissan, Honda, etc we certainly not using a canbus system.

My staff were heavily involved with harness design at all vehicle manufacturers which is why I spent so much time in Ford  Dearborn (USA) and Dunton (UK) & Merkenich (Germany) electrical design centres getting components specified.

For the Japanese makers we had to produce Japanese components under licence to increase their local content.

It was talked about (as was a 48v electrical system at Jaguar) as the harness size was now becoming so huge it could not be bent into place. I'm sure it changed later, but certainly NOT in the 90's.

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I retired in 2005 and I can assure you that the harness makers who were supplying into Ford, Rover, Nissan, Honda, etc we certainly not using a canbus system.

My staff were heavily involved with harness design at all vehicle manufacturers which is why I spent so much time in Ford  Dearborn (USA) and Dunton (UK) & Merkenich (Germany) electrical design centres getting components specified.

For the Japanese makers we had to produce Japanese components under licence to increase their local content.

It was talked about (as was a 48v electrical system at Jaguar) as the harness size was now becoming so huge it could not be bent into place. I'm sure it changed later, but certainly NOT in the 90's.

First used on the Mercedes Benz W140 in 1991 according to Wikipedia.  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAN_bus#:~:text=Released in 1991%2C the Mercedes,CAN 2.0 published in 1991.

• Greenie 1

We have had E10 over here for a long time now (at least 10 years) and whilst I can only offer a subjective personal perspective my garden machinary seem to much prefers the super (98 Ron stuff).  The chainsaw and brushcutter are particularly fussy and seem to stutter quite a lot on E10.  With so many V8’s over here I think it will be quite a while before 98 Ron dissappears from the pumps - especially if our climate denying fossil fuel pushing government stays in power.