Replacing gas regulator

Featured Posts

I've got my new changeover valve, but am slightly wary of doing it myself and am having some difficulty finding a gas bod to do it. If it's just fastening it all together, that's fine,  but I'm unsure as to whether it needs an olive in the junction where it connects to the rest of the pipes. Does LPG need this?

8 hours ago, Quattrodave said:

Not sure i fully understand the question, the shape of the mating surfaces should be a big clue... post a pic of the joint in question, might be easier to identify...

Same here. FAR more detail is needed in order to attempt an answer. Photos of the outlets of both the existing and the new changeover regulators would be a good way to start. If no photos, a detailed explanation of the type of outlet on each regulator would be a start. The dimensions of each changeover valve are likely to be different too so the pipe may not line up with the new regulator once fixed in place.

Just looked at mine which is a double change over with a flexible lead to each cylinder, there is a compression joint fitting at the 6 0’clock position where it goes into the copper pipe work that goes into the boat, there is an olive required for this compression joint. The new change over might not come with a compression joint as these are normally bought to suit the copper pipe work diameter it’s attached to, so you may just have the female screw thread into the regulator.

Edited by PD1964

That compression fitting should probably be able to be taken from the old regulator and put in the new, assuming the BSP thread is the same size. There will also be a connector from the C/O valve to the regulator . As already said, a picture paints a thousand words.

I changed mine recently, like for like and it was very easy, I just used the olive and compression nut that was already on the pipe in conjunction with the new regulator. However if you're installing something different and making modifications that might require a bit more plumbing skills.

Mine's a bit like that. It's where the pipe goes into the isolation valve that worries me! The bits are all there on the current one, but it's how to fit it all together into the isolation valve that confuses me. I don't mind playing with the water or the 12v wiring, but gas worries  me...