Can't post replies.

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Can't make a reply. Firefox now hopeless, sayes ''submit topic'' but won't.  Chrome sometimes, like now, I hope. No other forum or anything does this, getting very fed up. :)

Does this still happen if you use a different device to post, e.g. a phone or another lappy?

Edit to add: 

I appreciate you probably won't be able to answer.... 

Edited by MtB

15 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Can't make a reply. Firefox now hopeless, sayes ''submit topic'' but won't.  Chrome sometimes, like now, I hope. No other forum or anything does this, getting very fed up. :)

Test from Chrome.

Test from Edge

1 minute ago, MtB said:

Does this still happen if you use a different device to post, e.g. a phone or another lappy?

Edit to add: 

I appreciate you probably won't be able to answer.... 

Ahoy Motor Torpedo Boat. I have 3, two on W10 and 1 on W7, all react the same. On W7 Chrome at the mo.  Internet Wi Fi is good and fast

3 minutes ago, bizzard said:

It seems to be working at the mo, but only on Chrome, but for how long? Thanks for the help.

Somebody else had the same problem the other day. There is a thread somewhere.

edit - Ah I see you participated in that discussion.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

2 minutes ago, Manxcat said:

Posting on Edge Version 92.0.902.55 

Posting on Edge Version 92.0.902.62 

Latest version but the same on the previous one.

Just now, bizzard said:

Latest version but the same on the previous one.

Chrome working at the mo.

Seems to be working at present.

All I can suggest is keep up to date with the updates.

Firefox has had a lot of updates recently.

Perhaps you need to upgrade to a Cornish Sardine tin as apparently Pilchards are "soo last week" 😉

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, bizzard said:

Reply using Firefox - seems ok for me (at the moment)

Edited by David Schweizer

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

Firefox 90.0.2 on Linux Mint 64 bit.

Had a bit of trouble a couple of weeks ago but now fine.

Thought - could Sir Biz be running a 32 bit system?

No 64 bit.

I have just downloaded a new Firefox browser, everything was transfered to it and seems to be working ok.  Thank you all very much.

Certainly odd that it happens in more than one browser but given that it is not happening to everyone, I'd go as far as saying it's unlikely to be a server-side issue. 

I did have this issue myself and it was caused by my browser caching the old theme. (It is updated approx. 3-4 times a year) and although the theme looks more or less the same, it's actually replaced each time as per the developer's recommendations. To resolve it, I had to hard refresh my browser cache. Instructions can be found here:

https://fabricdigital.co.nz/blog/how-to-hard-refresh-your-browser-and-clear-cache

It also goes without saying that ensuring you are running the latest browser is also recommended. Older browsers may not support some of the code used by the forum software and in those scenarios you may encounter glitches similar to those reported in this topic. 

For anyone who encounters this issue. - If you have done all this and the issue remains, I recommend switching to the "Legacy" theme (only as a test - unless you prefer it) by clicking the "Theme" text link at the very bottom left of the page. - Please then advise on the outcome when using that. In the event that you still cannot post/reply, there's also a Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. 

Thanks RichM.  I think a lot of the updates for Firefox and probably W10 also include a load of stuff for Aps, smart phones, eyepads and whatnot, well I haven't any of that just laptops and I think it all clutters up the browser, slows it down ect.  I downloaded the Firefox browser for Desktops and seems to have done the trick. Smartphone would be a nuisance for me, too big to go into my inside pockets, I'll feel a fool goin about clutching it all the time like many folk seem to and getting it swiped by moped robbers. In the summer when jackets are not needed.  I need a handbag like Maggie Thatchers, I don't think.

1 hour ago, bizzard said:

Thanks RichM.  I think a lot of the updates for Firefox and probably W10 also include a load of stuff for Aps, smart phones, eyepads and whatnot, well I haven't any of that just laptops and I think it all clutters up the browser, slows it down ect.  I downloaded the Firefox browser for Desktops and seems to have done the trick. Smartphone would be a nuisance for me, too big to go into my inside pockets, I'll feel a fool goin about clutching it all the time like many folk seem to and getting it swiped by moped robbers. In the summer when jackets are not needed.  I need a handbag like Maggie Thatchers, I don't think.

I get what you're saying but in general I recommend keeping all software up to date. Developers maintain software by updating it. This largely entails fixing bugs and yes, implementing new features (which often come with more bugs!) It is an ongoing cycle but equally, not one to be ignored. It is at least in some ways similar to how mechanics maintain engines by servicing them and replacing worn/broken parts or similar to how engineers design new cars to keep up with modern demands and requirements. 

The reason why new software may slow down your computer is because while you're updating your software, you may not be updating your hardware to keep up with it. While this is fine and absolutely normal for a period of time, over time (years) you will notice your computer become slower and slower unless you bring your hardware up to date too. Is this reason to keep running older/out of date software? No, at least not in the long term. 

The thing with technology is that it's constantly changing & evolving, it doesn't stop or pause and it is something people should embrace and keep up with. Of course, they don't have to, but they will fall behind and invariably run into more problems as a result. I know which I'd rather do!

1 minute ago, RichM said:

I get what you're saying but in general I recommend keeping all software up to date. Developers maintain software by updating it. This largely entails fixing bugs and yes, implementing new features (which often comes with more bugs!) It is an ongoing cycle. It is at least in some ways similar to how mechanics maintain engines by servicing it and replacing worn/broken parts or how engineers design new cars to keep up with modern demands and requirements. 

The reason why new software may slow down your computer is because while you're updating your software, you may not be updating your hardware to keep up with it. While this is fine and absolutely normal for a period of time, over time (years) you will notice your computer become slower and slower unless you bring your hardware up to date too. Is this reason to keep running older/out of date software? No, at least not long term. 

The thing with technology is that it's constantly evolving & advancing, it doesn't stop or pause and it is something people should embrace and keep up with. Of course, they don't have to, but they will fall behind and invariably run into more problems as a result. I know which I'd rather do!

I do accept all the updates RichM, Firefox and for M/S which takes ages for W10 though.

13 hours ago, RichM said:

The reason why new software may slow down your computer is because while you're updating your software, you may not be updating your hardware to keep up with it.

All fine and dandy, except some folk won't have the skills to update hardware, and some devices ( smartphones, tablets, Apple kit ) are designed to be not user updateable.

10 hours ago, Col_T said:

All fine and dandy, except some folk won't have the skills to update hardware, and some devices ( smartphones, tablets, Apple kit ) are designed to be not user updateable.

That is correct but equally that's why there's still computer shops around who will provide this service for a PC or laptop, albeit to a lesser extent. Smart phones generally have 3-5 year lifespans, particularly when factoring security updates. I am not suggesting that if people want to use Canal World they should always go out and upgrade their PC/laptop. That comment was more around general performance issues on aging computers. 

Appreciate people may not have the funds to upgrade & replace but that's another conversation. That aside, it doesn't take much to run Canal World on an end-user device but if people run into problems we will often suggest they ensure their browser is up to date etc. Even the latest web browser will run on 5+ year old computer hardware.