Hanwell locks

Jporter

Featured Posts

37 minutes ago, Jporter said:

I’ve made the journey from Limehouse to Little Venice. The only place the locks were manned was at Camden. Does anyone know if there is likely to be any help at Hanwell locks?

There are regularly volunteers on at Hanwell, will try and find a phone number for them.

• Greenie 1

A friend is one of the volunteers, he says most days between 10 and 4, not Tuesday or Saturday at the moment, and not next Monday 'cos they're all away. I think the phone is 03030 404040.

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 1
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, Jporter said:

I’ve made the journey from Limehouse to Little Venice. The only place the locks were manned was at Camden. Does anyone know if there is likely to be any help at Hanwell locks?

From recollection Ken Dakin was the lock keeper on the Hanwell flight in the early1970's, and his son John took over from him some years later, The last time I met John was towards the end of the 1990's by which time he was no longer at Hanwell and was working on a maintenance gang in the Cowley area. After John left Hanwell, I believe there was no one on the flight. I single handed the flight several times in the 1990's  and do not remember them being difficult, they felt quite rural, despite being on the outskirts of London.

image.png.93bc01d02d3ccf2706d49c5e8f353799.png

Edited by David Schweizer