Wonderful weather

Featured Posts

Today was one of those typical October days, cold, overcast, drizzle just the sort of day to get the heating on, mug of tea and a bun, curl up and watch TV and have an afternoon nap.

Come 4:00pm the Sun came out it warmed up and I got some sanding (paint prep) done ready for a 'perfet painting day' (ha ha) tomorrow.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Today was one of those typical October days, cold, overcast, drizzle just the sort of day to get the heating on, mug of tea and a bun, curl up and watch TV and have an afternoon nap.

Come 4:00pm the Sun came out it warmed up and I got some sanding (paint prep) done ready for a 'perfet painting day' (ha ha) tomorrow.

Left the sun roof open on the van last night. Got woken up in the early hours being rained on despite no rain in the forecast 🤣🤣🤣

Absolutely chucked it down while we had coffee, no rain forecast. Torrential rain on the A1, by the time we got to Farndon Marina to catch up with some friends it was blazing sunshine.

Chucked it down on the A1 on the way home. Now not a cloud in the sky 🤔

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Climate change.

Out of curiosity... last year when lockdown was mitigated by a lovely spring and summer, nobody claimed "climate change", but this year when the weather is, for want of a better word, shit, there are articles galore saying "we said this would happen - it's climate change doncha know?!"

18 minutes ago, Bacchus said:

Out of curiosity... last year when lockdown was mitigated by a lovely spring and summer,

We went to the boat last year on 20th July as the Lockdown was lifted - we had 22 days of rain - I was trying to get the boat painted.

Got most of the paintong done then the high winds started.

Out of 14 weeks on the boat we actually went out cruising for about 10 days.

Where was the 'lovely Summer' ?

23 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

We went to the boat last year on 20th July as the Lockdown was lifted - we had 22 days of rain - I was trying to get the boat painted.

Got most of the paintong done then the high winds started.

Out of 14 weeks on the boat we actually went out cruising for about 10 days.

Where was the 'lovely Summer' ?

Perceptions may differ... the lovely summer was mainly in Surrey with the occasional foray to Yorkshire. Maybe it was just a lovely spring.

This summer though -- apart from a five day heatwave, I am struggling to remember the last day it didn't rain. I want to paint my decks; the forecast is -- rain.

Yes the spring was good last year . I spent most of it glued to a desk and computer.

When I took a holiday in July 2020 the weather was poor- the luck of the draw.

This year much the same except by luck  I picked the right fortnight for my holiday .

March 2021 was very cold.  April was good  . May was poor if I recall correctly.

The weather /seasons seem messed up -  it must be climate change.

17 minutes ago, MartynG said:

it must be climate change.

Yes. It must be. Who could have thought that that might happen in a country that has both been home to sabre-tooth tigers and hosted ice fairs on the Thames. Must be my diesel golf that causes it...:boat:

• Happy 1
  • Horror 1

8 hours ago, Bacchus said:

Yes. It must be. Who could have thought that that might happen in a country that has both been home to sabre-tooth tigers and hosted ice fairs on the Thames. Must be my diesel golf that causes it...:boat:

It is bright and sunny today. The extra 30 miles we did in the van yesterday to catch up with friends has tipped the balance back in the favour of warmer weather :D

• Greenie 1

9 hours ago, MartynG said:

Yes the spring was good last year . I spent most of it glued to a desk and computer.

When I took a holiday in July 2020 the weather was poor- the luck of the draw.

This year much the same except by luck  I picked the right fortnight for my holiday .

March 2021 was very cold.  April was good  . May was poor if I recall correctly.

The weather /seasons seem messed up -  it must be climate change.

Has any one had a thought that by adding a day in the calendar every 4 years is slowly moving the seasons around.

• Haha 1

It does seem to have rained a lot this summer, but that perception is not borne out by the facts. We had the outside of our house painted last week. The job takes three days. The painter accomplished it in four, i.e. only one day in four had any rain (and then not much). 

Mrs. Athy has booked time off work next week so that we may have our summer week on Trojan. The long-range forecast shows perfect summer weather every day of the week: bright, sunny periods, light breeze, temperature in the low 70s. We'll see.

• 3 weeks later...

Weather shows big improvement for tomorrow (20th August) after being grotty for the last 3 weeks, before becoming bad again for the Bank Holiday weekend

Forecast for 20/8/21 - Wind is the big problem gusting up to 28mph, not comfortable snatching at anchor and makes getting the approach into the lock a little more difficult.

Screenshot (563).png

Edited by Alan de Enfield