Surveyor (for plastic boat) on the Great Ouse

Featured Posts

I am selling my Dutch steel cruiser on the Thames, and have put a deposit on a broads cruiser on the Great Ouse - she is a project (needs external paint, windows resealing, headlining, and a general tidy) but the hull and engine look good and well maintained over the years, however I will need to get her surveyed for insurance and was wondering whether anyone had any personal recommendations for a surveyor working in that general location.

(I have tried searching the forum, found a lot of historical posts but nothing really suitable)

48 minutes ago, Bacchus said:

I am selling my Dutch steel cruiser on the Thames, and have put a deposit on a broads cruiser on the Great Ouse - she is a project (needs external paint, windows resealing, headlining, and a general tidy) but the hull and engine look good and well maintained over the years, however I will need to get her surveyed for insurance and was wondering whether anyone had any personal recommendations for a surveyor working in that general location.

(I have tried searching the forum, found a lot of historical posts but nothing really suitable)

Have had two fairly elderly grp boats and the two insurance companies I used didn't require a survey for comprehensive insurance.

A grp boat is a safer insurance risk than steel,in that there is no corrosion to eat away at the hull,so perhaps contact the company to ask if a survey is necessary.

• Greenie 1

Strangely none of the ads in GOBA News mention surveys. Try Tony Pope, 07833 393928. He is based in Soham. Did our BSS Inspection a few years ago.

Edited by pearley
  • Greenie 1

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. It is a great help

The boat in question is over thirty years old which, I think, is why it needs a survey. Craft Insure will do it third party only which might be an option, and then to have it surveyed properly when the renovations have been done (Craft Insure's website clearly states "surveyed and all recommendations carried out", obviously that can't be complied with until the work has been done!)

36 minutes ago, Bacchus said:

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. It is a great help

The boat in question is over thirty years old which, I think, is why it needs a survey. Craft Insure will do it third party only which might be an option, and then to have it surveyed properly when the renovations have been done (Craft Insure's website clearly states "surveyed and all recommendations carried out", obviously that can't be complied with until the work has been done!)

Depending on value GJW cover cruisers over 30 with no survey, just have to tell them that it's not going to sink😱

• Greenie 1

31 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Depending on value GJW cover cruisers over 30 with no survey, just have to tell them that it's not going to sink😱

value... not really. not yet, anyway... (c:

I will give them a try, but happy enough with third party for now to be honest, which is virtually free. it does cover recovery if it sinks in a location where I am liable to move her