Trying to understand my electrics

Featured Posts

I'm in the process of taking over maintenance of a lovely narrow boat that my dad's getting too old for unfortunately. I'm very much a newbie and the kindness of local boat people has got me pretty far. However, while I've managed to install a new leisure battery and so have power, I need to do some maintenance that means plugging in a drill, but none of the 240v sockets work.

I've tried flipping the switch on this control, but it had no effect. With each setting I continue to get power from the battery, but never via the sockets.

Am I warm, or barking up completely the wrong tree?

20210728_194238.jpg.9ac3cf145096e5cc25779a1984192bea.jpg

Welcome Rob.

From the labelling, I suspect that switch is for selecting either the on-board inverter (device for converting 12Vdc battery power into 230Vac mains), or the shoreline (long cable you plug in to a power bollard on the bank, usually next to a marina mooring). 

I suggest next, you need to find the inverter and investigate that. It might simply need turning ON. 

Or, find the shoreline and plug it into a power bollard.

Edited by MtB
Add a bit

8 minutes ago, MtB said:

Welcome Rob.

From the labelling, I suspect that switch is for selecting either the on-board inverter (device for converting 12Vdc battery power into 230Vac mains), or the shoreline (long cable you plug in to a power bollard on the bank, usually next to a marina mooring). 

I suggest next, you need to find the inverter and investigate that. It might simply need turning ON. 

Or, find the shoreline and plug it into a power bollard.

Nice to see you back :)

• Greenie 1

If running off the inverter make sure you don't kill the battery by taking too much power from it and you will need to charge it back up after using the drill. If you are in a marina it would be better to use the shore power connection.

32 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

If running off the inverter make sure you don't kill the battery by taking too much power from it and you will need to charge it back up after using the drill. If you are in a marina it would be better to use the shore power connection.

Thanks for all the responses. I'm moored at a marina, but not one with a shore power connection. What's the "drill"? Do you just mean running the usual power-up routine (in my case 3 solar panels and occasional cruising)?

3 minutes ago, Rob K, Waterbeach said:

Thanks for all the responses. I'm moored at a marina, but not one with a shore power connection. What's the "drill"? Do you just mean running the usual power-up routine (in my case 3 solar panels and occasional cruising)?

The drill is the thing you mentioned in your opening post!

What means of charging do you have for your (single?) leisure battery? Any use of the inverter will take power out and you need to recharge it fully if it is to have any reasonable life. If the boat engine is your only means of charging you will need to run it for hours to get the last bit of charge in. Leaving the battery partly discharged will shorten its life significantly. 

For doing minor jobs which need a drill I find that using a cordless drill and recharging it at home is often easier.

That's good as the solar will keep your battery charged at this time of year. It's also good for pushing in the last few Ah over a long period of time, when you wouldn't want to be running the engine or a generator. 

In winter it should counter the normal slow loss of charge from the battery, but won't produce any significant surplus for anything else.

• 1 year later...

Me again. Since my original post I've fallen deeper in love with the boat but made no progress with the inverter. I bet it's either just a problem with the settings or a fuse that needs changing. However, I can't seem to find a fusebox anywhere to even investigate. Here's my inverter plus the solar controller, which is the only component showing signs of life.

Can anyone suggest anything? 

Screenshot 2022-10-16 at 10.32.43.png

Screenshot 2022-10-16 at 10.34.26.png

In case it helps, here are the other controls.

image.png.aab3d2279c0d22d8db8b27e7d98c5891.png

11 minutes ago, Rob K, Waterbeach said:

Me again. Since my original post I've fallen deeper in love with the boat but made no progress with the inverter. I bet it's either just a problem with the settings or a fuse that needs changing. However, I can't seem to find a fusebox anywhere to even investigate. Here's my inverter plus the solar controller, which is the only component showing signs of life.

Can anyone suggest anything? 

Screenshot 2022-10-16 at 10.32.43.png

Screenshot 2022-10-16 at 10.34.26.png

In case it helps, here are the other controls.

image.png.aab3d2279c0d22d8db8b27e7d98c5891.png

Logical fault finding is the way ahead. Is there 12v on the inverter input terminals? (Presumably round the back, in your picture) If no, that needs to be addressed. Trace the wiring back from the inverter to the batteries. There definitely should be a big fuse somewhere near the batteries in the positive wires.

If there is 12v on the back of the inverter but nothing lights up, it suggests the inverter is faulty.

But first, before all that, I’d try unplugging the remote control cable (visible top left in your picture) and recycle the on/ off rocker switch on the inverter itself. Do any lights come on?

Yes yhe little round things in the middle are circuit breakers. The one marked 12v seems to be tripped? 

Cant see that being relevant to the ops problem but something to look at.

Do Amy of the mains sockets work when plugged into a shoreline (and the changeover switch moved to the right.) ?

Can't see what's in the  proteus mains distribution board - are any rcds or mcbs tripped ? 

5 hours ago, jonathanA said:

Yes yhe little round things in the middle are circuit breakers. The one marked 12v seems to be tripped? 

Cant see that being relevant to the ops problem but something to look at.

Do Amy of the mains sockets work when plugged into a shoreline (and the changeover switch moved to the right.) ?

Can't see what's in the  proteus mains distribution board - are any rcds or mcbs tripped ? 

My mooring doesn't provide power so I've never tried a shoreline. I'll look for more tripped switches. 

2 hours ago, Deep said:

After reading your first post, in which you say your Dad is getting too old to look after the boat, why not ask him how the electrics work?

He's since passed away unfortunately. He wouldn't have known anyway, although in his younger days he'd probably have figured it out. 

From the picture I can see the inverter has the remote on / off switch plugged in. This needs to be found and pressed once to turn the inverter on after the 12 volt supply is live and the front power switch is turned on. Pressing the remote switch a second time turns the inverter off again.

This is the white lead above the power switch. If this lead is unplugged then only the power switch is used to turn the inverter on or off.

The cable has a small tab you push down to release it.

Edited by adrianh
typo