Shoreline fridge stopped working (12V, Danfoss compressor)

jetzi

Featured Posts

Yesterday the light in my fridge stopped working.

It has done this before so I fiddled with the thermostat to try to get it to turn on. I turned it right down (to "warm") and then back up again (to "cold"). When I turned it back up, the compressor turned off and hasn't kicked in again since.

I removed the bulb and found it had fused. I tested the voltage at the bulb and it showed 3.6V but it was hard to get a good connection so I'm not sure of that. Interestingly when I accidentally shorted the bulb connector the red LED by the thermostat turned on, and when I did it again deliberately it tripped the fridge switch at my 12V distributor. I thought perhaps the fridge might require the bulb so I tried replacing it with a 10 ohm resistor but that didn't do anything.

I tested the voltage at the fridge input and at the compressor, and they both showed 13.6V, however the compressor has a 6 other terminals so it might be off because of an input on one of those. The fact that I fiddled with the thermostat makes me think that the problem is likely to be there.

I'm going to get some ice and put it in the fridge to try to keep my food cold.

Is there anything I can try to diagnose / fix the problem?

Here are some pics of the control inside the fridge and the compressor:

IMG_20210728_170104.jpg.97cdf59ecc201d6f0effbe84064db31b.jpg

IMG_20210728_170125.jpg.67d7ac20dc3d8628fe14e0e90c3b6c13.jpg

Edited by jetzi

The interior  light has nothing to do with the thermostat. If the light is out either the lamp has expired, the switch is deceased or there is no power to the fridge.  It appears your lamp is the cause.  If you replace the lamp and power up the fridge there should be light when the door is open.  If not, investigate the door operated  switch next. There should be no light when the door is closed, but it is hard to check this, unless you have a  very small child.😊

Turning the fridge thermostat down (warmer) will cause the motor to stop.  It takes a couple of seconds while the electronics catch up, for some reason.  If you immediately turn it to colder then nothing will happen for some time.  This is because the compressor cannot start until the gas pressure at its outlet is low enough and the residual pressure from when the compressor was running before you altered the thermostat has to dissipate.   There is a warning  lamp code for this built into the compressor electronic unit.  It flashes the same LED that is flashed when the voltage is low.  Where Shoreline put this LED depends on which cabinet the fridge uses.  Mine is behind the salad crisper.

There is also a good deal of hysteresis in the thermostat and electronic unit so turning it up does not always produce an immediate go signal to the motor.

N

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, BEngo said:

it is hard to check this, unless you have a  very small child.😊

🤣

This is the first time I've ever considered having a child...

2 minutes ago, BEngo said:

There is also a good deal of hysteresis in the thermostat and electronic unit so turning it up does not always produce an immediate go signal to the motor.

The compressor eventually kicked in. Your reply explains why! Sorry for the false alarm!

Now I just need to source a new bulb.

Shoreline are usually very helpful if you e-mail them.

If not Bedazzled sell a wide range of LED lamps with various fittings.  I am sure you will be able to find something suitable there.

Or, try lamps direct.

N

33 minutes ago, BEngo said:

Shoreline are usually very helpful if you e-mail them.

If not Bedazzled sell a wide range of LED lamps with various fittings.  I am sure you will be able to find something suitable there.

Or, try lamps direct.

N

I think I'd be hard pressed to find an 15W 12V led with a half inch ish Edison screw. In this one case I think I'm OK with sticking to incandescent!

9 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Well yes.  You'd only want about a 1.5W LED lamp.

Try searching for "LED fridge lamp"

Hm. I measure the outside diameter of the screw as 13.6mm, so I think it's a "E14 Small Edison Screw" fitting. And it seems like there are loads of LED replacements for these bulbs at around 1.5W, you're right. I'm going to go for a brighter one as I think it would be helpful in the fridge. Thanks!