New gas system on Juno

Featured Posts

I've just informally agreed to a new gas system on Juno, that last one was taken out about six years ago as it was a grade A1 fail and it was eaier to remove the system (and get through the BSS) than repair it. 

The guy sizing up for the new system had a couple of concerns as it now has a BSS with no gas, so it will be a new system not a replacement. The biggest one is that the water heater must be balanced flue, which is quite a bit bigger than the previous Paloma. We both had the same question - given that Juno is a viking 23, and viking still make petrol outboard GRP boats with gas systems, how do the modern ones heat their water? 

Similar with the gas locker - the guy wasn't sure a wooden gas locker would cut the mustard, especially as it's next to a wooden petrol locker!

Any thoughts anyone? 

I was under the impression that gas lockers on wooden/fiberglass boats had to be lined in metal. Certainly my Norman 20 and my Freeman 22 were. One of the reasons you see them with gas bottles hanging off the stern.

10 minutes ago, Loddon said:

I was under the impression that gas lockers on wooden/fiberglass boats had to be lined in metal. Certainly my Norman 20 and my Freeman 22 were. One of the reasons you see them with gas bottles hanging off the stern.

The gas locker should be constructed from the same material as the vessel, or :

7:4:5

Cylinder lockers must be constructed of materials that are either

• the same material and thickness of the surrounding hull structure; or,

• metal of minimum thickness of approximately 1mm; or,

• FRP of minimum thickness of approximately 5mm thickness.

Any repairs to cylinder lockers must meet the thicknessrequirements above, and:

• metal locker repairs must be made using a plate of similar metal and must be seam welded or brazed;

• FRP locker repairs must be made using fiberglassfabric/matting and resin.

NOTE – a combination of wooden cylinder lockers lined with FRP of a lesser thickness than 5mm may be estimated as equivalent

39 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

Thanks guys, so the locker is solvable - any thoughts on water heater?

I'd ask the BSS to get the 'correct' answer, but get it in writing.

The BSS has always allowed an exemption on non-room sealed water heaters, but ahve said that is only until practical room-sealed versions became readily available.

From the BSS :

All non-cooking LPG appliances are to be room sealed, However a non-room sealed Instantaneous water heater may be installed under exemption 11.25 Non-room sealed appliances installed before 3 January 2000 are also compliant under exemption 11.25(i)

There is a growing recognition of the risks associated with the use of non room-sealed gas appliances when used in confined spaces such as boats. These risks include poisoning and suffocation to individuals on board from improperly flued and ventilated appliances. So new LPG appliances must be room sealed, except where room-sealing is not physically possible, i.e. cooking appliances.

There is one specific exception to this rule and this is for LPG instantaneous water heaters. Based on the good previous safety record of these particular appliances, and until such a time as a room-sealed direct replacement becomes easily available, British Waterways and the Environment Agency accept the continued installation of instantaneous water heaters on private boats. If you are changing your non-room sealed instantaneous water heater it's strongly recommended that you consider room sealed alternatives.