It's odd.

johnmck

Featured Posts

Watching the plethora of media content, I really do get the appeal of living on a boat.

But viewing the various Facebook groups, the detachment from reality is frightening. 

Without  any prior experience you sell up and buy a boat. Then you ask the obvious questions. 

We moor on a narrow canal, yet several boats here are widebeams. They can never leave the marina. I find the scenario rather sad. But of course,  horses for courses.

Just find it odd.

The TV programme "Floating Homes" tonight was about a couple who sold up a 'big-house' in South Africa and have spent several years living in a NB, they have had a 'Floating Home' ( like a huge static caravan on floats) built for them and are now living in Priory Marina.

They have kept their NB and use it for popping out on the river and use it to go shopping or just for a 'day out'.

1 hour ago, johnmck said:

Watching the plethora of media content, I really do get the appeal of living on a boat.

But viewing the various Facebook groups, the detachment from reality is frightening. 

Without  any prior experience you sell up and buy a boat. Then you ask the obvious questions. 

We moor on a narrow canal, yet several boats here are widebeams. They can never leave the marina. I find the scenario rather sad. But of course,  horses for courses.

Just find it odd.

Why sad? Some people just want to be by the water and obviously you can't get much closer to it than being on a boat. At least, not without getting wet!

For anyone who likes to travel and explore or otherwise not be restricted in terms of moorings, then sure - a wide beam is not the most practical choice. On the other side of the coin, I'm not a particularly big guy but having to walk like a crab to get from the front to the back of the boat did get a bit tedious after 4 years of living aboard a 55ft narrowboat. Can certainly see the appeal of having something a little wider... 

• Greenie 1

19 hours ago, RichM said:

Why sad? Some people just want to be by the water and obviously you can't get much closer to it than being on a boat. At least, not without getting wet!

For anyone who likes to travel and explore or otherwise not be restricted in terms of moorings, then sure - a wide beam is not the most practical choice. On the other side of the coin, I'm not a particularly big guy but having to walk like a crab to get from the front to the back of the boat did get a bit tedious after 4 years of living aboard a 55ft narrowboat. Can certainly see the appeal of having something a little wider... 

It depends on the layout of your boat - I can walk down most of our boat in a normal fashion, except for the bedroom where I perform a scottish dancing travelling step to negotiate the brass handles on the bed storage. Being a southerner I have to hum a phrase or two from Jimmy Shand's band (whatever air from the Gordon's  (gay or otherwise)) seems appropriate at the time....