New build or nearly new close-enough?

jetzi

Featured Posts

9 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I read it but don't plan trying to search for it.

I have a vague recollection of one poster, who was renowned for giving wrong advice to people enquiring about buying a boat, saying that brokers wouldn't accept boat without the "proper" documentation.  I wondered about this at the time but the thread went down a different route and no one questioned the poster. This struck in my mind as I had never heard that before and to my knowledge there has been no more mention of this since. I think that those of us who have been around for a while knew that the poster was guilty of making "not quite true" statements and we had given up taking them to task. 

I think it highly unlikely that a broker would refuse to accept a boat for sale just because of the lack of a bit of paper.

haggis

1 hour ago, haggis said:

I have a vague recollection of one poster, who was renowned for giving wrong advice to people enquiring about buying a boat, saying that brokers wouldn't accept boat without the "proper" documentation.  I wondered about this at the time but the thread went down a different route and no one questioned the poster. This struck in my mind as I had never heard that before and to my knowledge there has been no more mention of this since. I think that those of us who have been around for a while knew that the poster was guilty of making "not quite true" statements and we had given up taking them to task. 

I think it highly unlikely that a broker would refuse to accept a boat for sale just because of the lack of a bit of paper.

haggis

Lumpy water boat brokers used to require the paperwork eg original bill of sale / evidence of VAT paid  and they almost certainly  still do.

Not sure RCD compliance is a real issue as people don't usually alter such boats significantly. The only time any paperwork issue might come up would be if travelling abroad and this is perhaps more significant now we are properly out of the EU. I understand the French are and always have been keen to see paperwork including the original bill of sale  and the Belgians are  nation of eurocrats so like to enforce rules.

Narrowboats are much less likely to leave the UK and as a result it does seem the paperwork requirement is somewhat relaxed as often there is none. 

Edited by MartynG
n key faulty

Just to say, I appreciate @Alan de Enfield's points of view and penchant for well substantiated and researched insights on this forum. It's quite rare for people to back up what they say online with links and excerpts of relevant literature, and this kind of thing can be very hard to find if you don't know where to look. So please don't stop Alan. It might be true that in practice RCD isn't relevant to canal boaters, but it's still useful to know that it applies, legally speaking. Personally I feel like there is a place on the forum for both those points of view, it's boring when everyone agrees!

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1