A Bloody Yankee on the Canals

Greg K

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Civil war would be more likely if there was a Lancashire pudding (Hot Pot doesn't count). 😂

I mean if they fought for 32 years over roses, imagine how long it would have lasted over something important like puddings! 😁

You're not familar with Bury Black Pudding then?

There's an annual event where you throw one at a stack of Yorkshire puddings ...

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

On 27/07/2021 at 18:56, Greg K said:

And someone who commented is right; it looks entirely differently when you're coming than when you were going, and this way I can pick up town or two that I might miss on the upbound week.

....... I'm reduced to someone 😕 Oh well, at least I'm that memorable eh? 🙄 

2 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

There's an annual event where you throw one at a stack of Yorkshire puddings ...

I'll tell you an old-fashioned story 
That Grandfather used to relate, 
Of a joiner and building contractor; 
'Is name, it were Sam Oglethwaite.

In a shop on the banks of the Irwell, 
Old Sam used to follow 'is trade, 
In a place you'll have 'eard of, called Bury; 
You know, where black puddings is made...

2 hours ago, zenataomm said:

....... I'm reduced to someone 😕 Oh well, at least I'm that memorable eh? 🙄 

Mate, I've been pleasantly overwhelmed w/ responses ! !   Too many to keep track of.

15 hours ago, IanD said:

Hector engine noise video:

https://www.facebook.com/313479885704084/videos/577829629269107

If you do the Leicester ring, there are some overnight pub stopping suggestions in the Canalplan route I sent. The Wharf Inn at the end of the Welford arm was excellent, great beer and one of the best fish and chip dinners I've ever eaten -- and that includes legendary places like the Magpie in Whitby... 😉

Hector went past us last night, heading for Stoke Breurne. Very quiet.

12 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Yes, but didn't realise they originated from Bury (and I was born in Lancashire).

10 hours ago, IanD said:
I'll tell you an old-fashioned story 
That Grandfather used to relate, 
Of a joiner and building contractor; 
'Is name, it were Sam Oglethwaite.

In a shop on the banks of the Irwell, 
Old Sam used to follow 'is trade, 
In a place you'll have 'eard of, called Bury; 
You know, where black puddings is made...

Three ha'pence a foot, My favourite Stanley Holloway monologue.

18 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Stornoway Black Pudding is better though.  But tricky to get there by narrowboat...

Could I vote for Wrexham butchers market, the stall that sells all the bits that people have forgotten about for the best black pudding.

They will also sell you the BEST pork scratchings by the scoop, out of one of those big blue barrels 

1 minute ago, tree monkey said:

Could I vote for Wrexham butchers market, the stall that sells all the bits that people have forgotten about for the best black pudding.

They will also sell you the BEST pork scratchings by the scoop, out of one of those big blue barrels 

Those are some strong words mister!

9 hours ago, Greg K said:

Mate, I've been pleasantly overwhelmed w/ responses ! !   Too many to keep track of.

Here's another one!

We are currently on the north Oxford heading for the Ashby (5th time in 10 years). Yesterday we went past the Armada base and before that (maybe the day before) Hector went past us. I have spoken to hirers on it before and they do seem to love it. If you can hire that I think it would be ideal for you. You can head north to do the Ashby (which we love). Your introduction to a lock will be an easy one at Hawkesbury Junction as it's less than a foot deep. You also have the excellent Greyhound pub there and historic buildings and a beautiful iron bridge. On the Ashby you can take a trip on a steam railway. There are several pubs on or near the canal and two excellent farm shops near the canal at Stoke Golding for delicious meat etc. One easy tunnel at the end plus a newly restored section plus more being restored. No more locks until you get back to Hawkesbury Junction. You have the option to go down the five and a half miles to Coventry basin if you want.

You can then cruise back to base and carry on through Rugby for easy supermarket shopping. When you get to Hillmorton you can choose to go through the 3 locks and then cruise down to historic Braunston. Go under the historic double iron bridge to Napton on with beautiful scenery all the way. You can then choose to either walk or cruise up the beautiful Napton flight with great views back to the village of Napton on The Hill. Visit The Folly pub. Also the excellent village store where you can buy burgers and sausages made from the water buffalo seen grazing in the fieldś as you go up the lock flight . If you have time to go up the locks, and have time, you should cruise the 7 lock free miles to Fenny Compton with gorgeous country all the way.

I could go on!

I think it would be an excellent introduction and have a bit of everything but not too much. Try it in Canalplan to get an idea of the average daily cruising hours required. If it's not enough you can carry on past Fenny Compton, perhaps to Cropredy which would be well worth visiting.

Oops, It seems I did go on!

• Love 1

31 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

I can give you the post code for the market

;)

I think you need to provide a black pudding as proof, you can't eat a postcode... 😉

27 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

Here's another one!

We are currently on the north Oxford heading for the Ashby (5th time in 10 years). Yesterday we went past the Armada base and before that (maybe the day before) Hector went past us. I have spoken to hirers on it before and they do seem to love it. If you can hire that I think it would be ideal for you. You can head north to do the Ashby (which we love). Your introduction to a lock will be an easy one at Hawkesbury Junction as it's less than a foot deep. You also have the excellent Greyhound pub there and historic buildings and a beautiful iron bridge. On the Ashby you can take a trip on a steam railway. There are several pubs on or near the canal and two excellent farm shops near the canal at Stoke Golding for delicious meat etc. One easy tunnel at the end plus a newly restored section plus more being restored. No more locks until you get back to Hawkesbury Junction. You have the option to go down the five and a half miles to Coventry basin if you want.

You can then cruise back to base and carry on through Rugby for easy supermarket shopping. When you get to Hillmorton you can choose to go through the 3 locks and then cruise down to historic Braunston. Go under the historic double iron bridge to Napton on with beautiful scenery all the way. You can then choose to either walk or cruise up the beautiful Napton flight with great views back to the village of Napton on The Hill. Visit The Folly pub. Also the excellent village store where you can buy burgers and sausages made from the water buffalo seen grazing in the fieldś as you go up the lock flight . If you have time to go up the locks, and have time, you should cruise the 7 lock free miles to Fenny Compton with gorgeous country all the way.

I could go on!

I think it would be an excellent introduction and have a bit of everything but not too much. Try it in Canalplan to get an idea of the average daily cruising hours required. If it's not enough you can carry on past Fenny Compton, perhaps to Cropredy which would be well worth visiting.

Oops, It seems I did go on!

Plenty of options from the Armada base, including your suggestion 😉

https://armadaboathire.co.uk/routes.html

A question for Greg -- do you have *any* boat experience? If you do it might be easier to persuade Armada to hire to you single-handed, especially if you do the appropriate RYA course first -- there are various places which will do this, including ones near Rugby:

https://www.rya.org.uk/training/courses/inland-waterways-helmsman's-course-iwhcc

https://www.rya.org.uk/wheres-my-nearest/venues?activities=3&lat=52.370878&lng=-1.265032&locationSearch=Rugby%2C UK&useBrowserLocation=false

Edited by IanD

55 minutes ago, IanD said:

Mine too, I've been known to recite it on suitable occasions... 😉

I first heard it recited by my Father in a broad Lancashire accent. 

Years later I bought a CD of Stanley Holloway monologues, recited by the man himself.

I was very disappointed to hear them recited in a southern accent. 😣

Just now, cuthound said:

I first heard it recited by my Father in a broad Lancashire accent. 

Years later I bought a CD of Stanley Holloway monologues, recited by the man himself.

I was very disappointed to hear them recited in a southern accent. 😣

I've probably got the same recording -- and the original book of words too...

13 minutes ago, IanD said:

I think you need to provide a black pudding as proof, you can't eat a postcode... 😉

Unfortunately I rarely get back to Wrexham anymore to procure any supply, so a postcode is the best you lot are gonna get 

;)

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

Is the book a soft cover with the last monologue about elephants? If so my Father had that one.

This one -- soft cover but The Magna Charter is the last one...

holloway.jpg

• Greenie 1

21 hours ago, David Mack said:

Steak and kidney pie is generally made with normal pastry. Steak and kidney pudding is made with suet pastry. 

Tricky, this English language, isn't it?

You're quite right, except, is the suet casing around a steak and kidney pudding really a form of pastry?

(Edit: Wiki says that it is. You live and learn).

Edited by Athy