Boat Size & Waterways Advice Before Buying

XxRICKYxX

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

I've got to disagree with much of this and also question how much experience you really have moving wide boats.

For starters although of course you have to open and close both sets of lock gates, with a wide boat you often don't have to walk around the lock because you can simply walk across the deck of the boat to get from one side of the lock to the other, (depending of course on how wide the boat is).

I do agree with you that a moving a wide boat is generally going to be harder work, but I've moved mine (57' x12') single handed on the southern GU, Paddington arm, tidal and non-tidal Thames, the whole of the K&A, the Severn from Gloucester up to Tewkesbury, the whole of the Warks Avon and much of the River Nene. All single handed. I was craned out to get from the Avon to the Nene.

My boat draws 2'2" at the skeg which is less than a lot of narrowboats and on the wide canals I've never scraped the bottom or had a problem getting into the side to moor.

It doesn't sound like a widebeam would be the right boat for the OP anyway, so as far as this thread is concerned these issues are moot points, but as you say yourself with a wide boat "all of this can be managed if you know what you're doing".

The widebeam I hired was 10', which is definitely too narrow to step/jump across a wide lock...

As I said, somebody who has a lot of experience with steering and handling wide boats and is used to single-handing (i.e. not Greg) won't have a problem with a wideboat, so don't shoot the messenger...;-)