Stove flue regulations

Whitey62

Featured Posts

Hi all,

I would like to move the stove on my nb as part of a refurb but unsure on the flue regs regarding exit points in relation to opening windows and lagging.

Can anyone point me to them please? 
   Cheers

As springy says, guidance.

I don't think there are any for solid fuel stoves save your common sense. At some time Ivbet we have all had smoke from our own or others stoves blown through a window or vent. There have been cases of another oat triggering the CO detector.

I think the best we can say is "as far away as is practical".

11 minutes ago, springy said:

Regulations are difficult to pin down, there is this guidance

http://www.soliftec.com/boat stoves 1-page.pdf

springy

Thanks guys, I had found that guidance which is informative but doesn’t state flue exit regs……..I’m surprised there aren’t any but happy to go with common sense.

Another little question, any preferred suppliers for stove flues? 

On 26/07/2021 at 11:15, Whitey62 said:

Thanks guys, I had found that guidance which is informative but doesn’t state flue exit regs……..I’m surprised there aren’t any but happy to go with common sense.

Another little question, any preferred suppliers for stove flues? 

If you are using the common single wall 4 1/2 in 113 mm diameter steel flue pipe then Midland Chandlers sell it, as do steel stock holders  but cheaper.  It can then be fabricated into the necessary shape by anyone who can cut and weld it.  You also need a roof collar to suit the pipe and your roof shape, and a detachable chimney, with or without brass bands etc.

If you want twin wall, any decent wood burner stockists, or MC again.  You are then limited by the prefabricated pipes, bends etc. that are available.  Check before buying that there is a stove to flue adaptor available for the stove you fancy and that a suitable roof terminal and chimney can be obtained to fit your boat.  

N

Edited by BEngo

If fitting a roof collar,

please

please

please

please

consider an ANGLED roof collar....

So many boats - through ignorance or penury fit a straight collar with the result that almost any chimney stack look absolutely riddiculous when fitted (not to mention that if the stack is not vertical any tar will run down down the outside of the pipe and make an 'orrible mess.....

Acorn sell them (about twice the price  - thus mebe who nobody buys them)?

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, Ianws said:

If it is just moving the location of the stove then, hopefully, they already have a collar that is suitable.

Two assumptions there that could be unwarranted.

That the existing collar is angled correctly and that the distance around the arc of the roof is the same in the new location as it is in the old, either to port, or starboard.

10 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Two assumptions there that could be unwarranted.

That the existing collar is angled correctly and that the distance around the arc of the roof is the same in the new location as it is in the old, either to port, or starboard.

That's why I said hopefully.