Waterways Archive, Ellesmere Port

Heartland

Featured Posts

As Covid restrictions are lifted the Archives remains closed. Their website remained a useful source of material during the recent lockdown for researchers.

Dealing with new requests still takes time it would appear- as per automatic reply

Sadly there is the matter of spelling-

Thank you for your email. We currently have redeuced resource to answer archive queries - please allow at least four weeks for an initial response though we'll aim to get back to you sooner.

On the subject of spelling, in my local IKEA they had a sign up by one of the help locations in store -

'Please bare with us as our system is down'

I thought this was one way I could get banned from IKEA for life, but my wife wouldn't let me!

• Haha 1

Good morning all

Oh dear - I suspect this note was penned in haste....!!

I volunteer at the Archive - it has only been safe to reopen for volunteers for the last two weeks. We now have an excellent new Archivist, but a smaller number of volunteers able to help. I'm not sure when normal service will be resumed - but, at the moment, fairly heroic efforts are needed.

May I encourage everyone to have a look at the online photographic archives - some of the descriptions could do with clarification. I spent a lot of time in lockdown going through some of these - but often one needs an intimate knowledge of a particular place (or person or boat) to be able to comment. It would be great if people could help - it will improve what is a major resource. 

Best wishes

Joseph  

• Greenie 2

4 hours ago, Joseph said:

May I encourage everyone to have a look at the online photographic archives - some of the descriptions could do with clarification.

Can I ask how you access them then. I used to have no problem and indeed have made many suggestions for alterations, but I cannot get through the verbiage that is the current CRT web site. Not updated for over a year, (presumably because of Covid) and I just go round in circles trying to see pictures I even have numbers for.

As Mr Boughey has stated, once the archive is accessed and looking at the images, corrections have been made on line and these are now visible for further comment. Duncan Moore has made some observations, as have I