Varneys Lock: Oxford Canal, Lock 23

Idle Days

Featured Posts

We are below The lock below Varneys. Didn’t see the stoppage until this morning. I need to ask a question which is burning in my brain box.

In the better days of preventative maintenance with the Proactive, rather than reactive, attitude, did BW and others not do testing on lock beams to detect rotting from within? Seems there are a number of lock beams failing nowadays.

Nearly all you talk to on boats, the general consensus is that Preventative Maintenance is lacking.

Maybe it is beneficial to boaters to have national cycle roots well maintained rather than the systems’ infrastructure.

Talk to the guys and lasses on the ground and many seem to be disillusioned by CRT management at all levels. When Richard Parry first came onto the scene he was all over the place, photo calls, speeches etc. etc. Where is he now? I believe he came from his top job at Railtrack. Railtrack seems to have improved since he left. Just a thought.

Footnote. Someone just mentioned two/three days. Two Oxfordshire hire boat just passed us and reversed back to the Marina to turn round. I was talking to them yesterday at Cropredy Water point. I just mentioned that maintenance is somewhat lacking in places. He blamed this stoppage on me!.,😜

Edited by Nightwatch

4 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

We are below The lock below Varneys. Didn’t see the stoppage until this morning. I need to ask a question which is burning in my brain box.

In the better days of preventative maintenance with the Proactive, rather than reactive, attitude, did BW and others not do testing on lock beams to detect rotting from within? Seems there are a number of lock beams failing nowadays.

Nearly all you talk to on boats, the general consensus is that Preventative Maintenance is lacking.

Maybe it is beneficial to boaters to have national cycle roots well maintained rather than the systems’ infrastructure.

Talk to the guys and lasses on the ground and many seem to be disillusioned by CRT management at all levels. When Richard Parry first came onto the scene he was all over the place, photo calls, speeches etc. etc. Where is he now? I believe he came from his top job at Railtrack. Railtrack seems to have improved since he left. Just a thought.

Footnote. Someone just mentioned two/three days. Two Oxfordshire hire boat just passed us and reversed back to the Marina to turn round. I was talking to them yesterday at Cropredy Water point. I just mentioned that maintenance is somewhat lacking in places. He blamed this stoppage on me!.,😜

Mrs S was his assistant when he was acting managing director of London Underground (not Railtrack). Her opinion, just given, is ‘he was alright’. Not a glowing appraisal.

26 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

Mrs S was his assistant when he was acting managing director of London Underground (not Railtrack). Her opinion, just given, is ‘he was alright’. Not a glowing appraisal.

Thank you for that, I always thought it was Railtrack. I can’t comment on London Underground. Always seems okay to me.