Really hot dipstick

Roxylass

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I have often found the fins on the cylinders full of oily rubbish which plays havoc with the cooling.

Agreed, but not so sure on a sea boat. Anyway, the marine manual showed the tools you need to clean them and says it is routine maintenance.

Late mate of mine had a diesel tractor (Ford son Major) It had a throttle valve like a petrol engine, it was mounted in a box bolted to the air inlet and throttle lever went to that instead of fuel pump.

One day we decided to adjust the valves and removed the throttle housing to gain easier access, all went well until we tried to turn the engine a bit with the starter motor - no throttle valve to hold it back! - panic as engine roared straight to max revs, mate gesticulating for me to shut down fuel pump, blank look from me so he had to run round and do it. God knows how many revs were reached but there was a lot of noise and smoke (we had also removed the silencer) 

It ran beautifully after that, cleared a few cobwebs I think. 

5 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

Late mate of mine had a diesel tractor (Ford son Major) It had a throttle valve like a petrol engine, it was mounted in a box bolted to the air inlet and throttle lever went to that instead of fuel pump.

One day we decided to adjust the valves and removed the throttle housing to gain easier access, all went well until we tried to turn the engine a bit with the starter motor - no throttle valve to hold it back! - panic as engine roared straight to max revs, mate gesticulating for me to shut down fuel pump, blank look from me so he had to run round and do it. God knows how many revs were reached but there was a lot of noise and smoke (we had also removed the silencer) 

That is a pneumatic governor, and uses the depression caused by a venturi acting against a diaphragm to control the pump. Rather a stupid idea in my view, but I think it might have been to get around a patent. The throttle butterfly and venturi (be it a very small one) did nothing to help such engine's fuel economy or their emissions.

They will also do that if the pipe running from the venturi to the diaphragm chamber breaks.

29 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

You don't want a big diesel running away:

• Happy 1

• 3 weeks later...

Took the engine box off and made sure that the engine was getting plenty of cooling air 

i will try to post some photos later.

Took a run to rosyth dockyard on the water roughly three miles not even half throttle 

i have fitted the canvas that I bought from primrose engineering thanks sue

Plenty heat exiting from it also blue smoke circulating around the engine box 

engine hot to touch but didn’t cut out this time when I put it to idle 

starting to think now that it could be the fins needing cleaning 

i have had the exhaust and inlet manifold off can only see a bit of the fins

cant seem to be able to remove the air baffles 

Do the cylinder heads have to come off to carry out this operation 

15 minutes ago, Roxylass said:

Took the engine box off and made sure that the engine was getting plenty of cooling air 

i will try to post some photos later.

Took a run to rosyth dockyard on the water roughly three miles not even half throttle 

i have fitted the canvas that I bought from primrose engineering thanks sue

Plenty heat exiting from it also blue smoke circulating around the engine box 

engine hot to touch but didn’t cut out this time when I put it to idle 

starting to think now that it could be the fins needing cleaning 

i have had the exhaust and inlet manifold off can only see a bit of the fins

cant seem to be able to remove the air baffles 

Do the cylinder heads have to come off to carry out this operation 

Our SL manuals had diagrams of the hooks that were to be used for cleaning the fins by just taking the cooling air outlet side cover off, but I still wonder about the possibility of having an air directing baffle fitted upside down, so one cylinder is not being cooled properly. If this is the case, the heads will have to come off.

This file:///tmp/LR%20&%20SR%201,2,3%20Industrial%20MPM%20027-08013.pdf suggest it does have a baffle but no illustration. Incorrectly fitted baffles are a known cause of problems.

Edited by Tony Brooks

12 minutes ago, Roxylass said:

Oh well 

I have a torque wrench and the sr2marine manual 

pity there wasn’t somebody near me that knew what they were doing 

thanks again for the good advice Tony

On no account fully tighten the heads down until you have fitted and tightened the manifolds, give the heads a chance to twist as you tighten the manifolds. Tightening the heads first has been known to crack manifolds when the heads were slightly twisted.

Treat the injector leak off pipe system gently, I would be inclined to anneal it before refitting, but take are not to melt the braze on the joints.

• Greenie 1

I think so, its 30 years or so since I pulled one apart. Its only machine screws anyway, means that you can clean it all up.

Heed Tony's advice, tighten nothing until the heads and manifolds have been loosely mounted, then go round and tighten all up progressively a little at a time.

• 3 weeks later...

Tony 

she will be put on a hard standing end of this month 

good couple of hours running today in the river forth

every half hour touched the rocker covers they were just a nice warm

got back to the moorings idling as it should pulled the engine stop

touched the rockers five minutes later to hot to touch 

heads will be coming off and fins cleaned in a ultrasonic cleaner

is there a diagram anywhere showing how the baffles should sit

thanks for your advice  

9 minutes ago, Roxylass said:

Tony 

she will be put on a hard standing end of this month 

good couple of hours running today in the river forth

every half hour touched the rocker covers they were just a nice warm

got back to the moorings idling as it should pulled the engine stop

touched the rockers five minutes later to hot to touch 

heads will be coming off and fins cleaned in a ultrasonic cleaner

is there a diagram anywhere showing how the baffles should sit

thanks for your advice  

I think there was in our SL4 manuals, but I have not seen any in the common SL/SR manual. If you have one in a twin, then I think it might be possible to work it out by eye, otherwise a PM to RLWP or Bizzard once you have access should provide a definitive answer.