Spanners and sockets

Featured Posts

14 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

Aldi were selling i think it's 25 combination spanners 6-32mm for 25.99. I thought it was worth having a set at that price for the boat. 

A really good set. Sold the canal boat,  but kept the spanners,  even though they took a significant chunk out of my luggage weight allowance flying home.

16 hours ago, Polly Graff said:

Many thanks. I'll get a set of AFs then. First job is probably going to be cleaning up the starter motor and solenoid - is that likely ton be AF or BA (for which you said I'd be able to substitute metric). I'm reluctant to buy a whole new starter because I think itm will be a solenoid problem. But you don't seem to be able to obtain just the solnoid anywhere

Thanks again,

Ian

I carry 2 sets of ring/open spanners and each set contains AF and Metric. I also have a ½" Drive socket set that is metric/AF. I also carry a smaller ¼" drive socket set. All have been used at some point.

Edited by ditchcrawler

12 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I carry 2 sets of ring/open spanners and each set contains AF and Metric. I also have a ½" Drive socket set that is metric/AF. I also carry a smaller ¼" drive socket set. All have been used at some point.

A very good point as if you have a nut and bolt you will probably need 2 spanners the same size - I have at times resorted to using mole-grips to hold the bolt 'head' whilst using a spanner on the nut. NOT ideal. NOT best practice.

16 hours ago, Polly Graff said:

Hi again - engine can be reluctabt to start. Turn key and I just get a click - which sounds like a solenoid problem. Can do that four or five times and then it bursts into life and all is good until the next time I want to start. I suspect the solenoid just needs a clean up and a touch of light lubrication.

Ian

Sorry - should also have said. I've searched the internet and can only find whole starter motors for sale - no one seems to have just the solenoid any more.

Regards,

Ian

Right - 10mm - thanks - I'll add them to my birthday list (-:)

Google hc cargo,  or pm me,  I have an account. 

I carry a Halfords Professional 150 piece socket set (which comes with a lifetime guarantee), plus a box containing many other tools. 

I note that the price has pretty much doubled since I bought mine when I got tbe boat 7 years ago.

18 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I carry a Halfords Professional 150 piece socket set (which comes with a lifetime guarantee), plus a box containing many other tools. 

But whose lifetime? Tools guaranteed for the life of the tool don't give much comfort!

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

But whose lifetime? Tools guaranteed for the life of the tool don't give much comfort!

Well i managed to break the 1/4" ratchet drive (after about 5 years of abuse) and they replaced it without question.

3 hours ago, cuthound said:

I note that the price has pretty much doubled since I bought mine when I got tbe boat 7 years ago.

My socket set is halfords and probably 40 years old, inherited from my dad

4 hours ago, David Mack said:

I had a very entertaining hour in Halfords quite a few years ago when a 13mm socket out my very old (30 year plus then) guaranteed for life set split. The 20 year old assistants eyes glazed over when I tol devd  him approximately how old  it  was. We had a long debate along the lines of 'but its VERY old!' ' But lifelong is lifelong!'. In the end they gave in and produced a new socket..) Pure fun and  entertainment on my part.

Regarding the OPs original question he's likely to need two 17mm combination spanners for the stern gland. 

1 hour ago, Slim said:

I had a very entertaining hour in Halfords quite a few years ago when a 13mm socket out my very old (30 year plus then) guaranteed for life set split. The 20 year old assistants eyes glazed over when I tol devd  him approximately how old  it  was. We had a long debate along the lines of 'but its VERY old!' ' But lifelong is lifelong!'. In the end they gave in and produced a new socket..) Pure fun and  entertainment on my part.

Regarding the OPs original question he's likely to need two 17mm combination spanners for the stern gland. 

Unless it is this type, then "C" spanners will be needed.

latest additions 03.10 008.jpg

C Spanners.jpg

Edited by Ray T

12 hours ago, sunny said:

Where can i buy the c spanners looked all over can not seem to find anyone selling them 

If stuck, I use a chain wrench and stick a screw through the link and into the recess in the "c" nut.