Tiller Bearing Replacement Help

r011y1974

Featured Posts

Hi, i’m new to the maintenance side of things and need to replace the bearing that sits at the top of our tiller. The need to replace is because i need to remove the tiller completely and im going to have to cut the old bearing off with a cutting disc, as its well and truly seized on the shaft and its a rough feeling bearing anyway, so nothing lost.  Can anyone advise on where i can get a replacement bearing or even ID the one i have, before i butcher it completely 

FEBAB904-9531-4ABB-97F0-BE50E0B5CC54.jpeg

I have never seen one like that before but the collar below the top and square and above what I take you call the bearing seems to have  a hole in it. I would expect it to have an Alan screw down it, securing the collar to the shaft. Or maybe a pin right through the shaft.

I suspect you have more parts that you have not shown us.

No matter how seized it is if you cut down one side with  a cut off disk and bang a chisel in the cut it with either split in two or slide off whole.

I would toss the whole thing, spacer and all, if you cannot source a new same bearing, and fit a flange bearing complete to match the shaft diameter.

Bearings are specified by Inside diameter, outside diameter, thickness and type.  In your case it looks like ordinary ball bearing with collars.  If you measure up what you have with a caliper (cheapo chinese from Chronos or Cromwell tools or others is fine if you need one.) then look on the internet- Bearing Boys or Erik for example- or go to your local bearing stockists and ask them.  Bear in mind that the existing bearing may be imperial or metric!

N

This is a flanged bearing of the 2 piece pressed steel design, common in industry ( cheaper than cast iron type). It takes exactly the same bearing cartridge as others. You just need to know the shaft diameter and the outside diameter to identify a replacement insert.

The bad thing about these is that they have no provision for relubricating so the lub hole in the insert will let moisture into the bearing causing early failure.

Pm me the shaft size and I can check catalogue for options.

• 1 year later...