Diesel generator

Sanddancer

Featured Posts

25 minutes ago, Sanddancer said:

I need to upgrade my generator so am thinking of getting one run on diesel but don't want to pay a am or leg for it, any suggestions please.

Remember that unless you have a proper 'marine' generator properly installed in the boat (cost £8000 - £10,000) then you need to be able to lift it on and off the boat to run it on the bank-side. Diesel generators tend to be very VERY noisy and vey VERY heavy.

If you buy and run a 'construction site' type cradled diesel generator it will end up in the cut - it will not take long befor your neighbours react !

image.jpeg.6a3a07df11763d6343fd635cd6d91d91.jpeg

You should be able to pick up a petrol 2.2i Honda for around £1200, but then you have all the problems associated with petrol usage - but if you already have a Jennifer, I guess you already live with them,

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

Any diesel generator with an acceptable installed noise level is going to cost something approaching an arm AND both  legs, if professionally installed.  You can get the pain down a little if you can do the installation yourself. 240 V electrics, plumbing, fuel systems, 12/24 V wiring,  noise and vibration suppression are all handy skills....

Modifying a frame genny is not practicable, and, unless you know what you are doing, can be lethal.

All you can do is look for a second hand one, and spend some time learning the skills to install it.

N

6 minutes ago, Sanddancer said:

No just a frame one for the bankside, that I could use red with instead of the petrol one I use now.

Good, but you'll have way more enemies than friends.

But I was actually asking  @BEngo

32 minutes ago, BEngo said:

All you can do is look for a second hand one, and spend some time learning the skills to install it.

I think he was referring to a marine generator. but it could have been read as a 'frame generstor'.

11 minutes ago, BEngo said:

NO.  I said modifying a frame genny was not practicable. 

N

Indeed you did, but the next sentence was :

52 minutes ago, BEngo said:

That is simply why I suggested clarification.

You know what you meant, I know what you meant (buy a 2nd hand marine genny etc etc. .............)

But that would not be clear to someone who simply read what you wrote.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

I've seen people who've installed industrial diesel generators in boats. I think it's a horrible idea and I wouldn't do it myself, but as long as the cooling and exhaust configuration of the particular model are ok from a safely perspective I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with it - unless the excessive noise and vibrations in the boat count as safety issues.

It's not the same in terms of danger as trying to install a petrol generator in a boat.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

I've seen a silenced 1800rpm 2cyl 5kva set from a set of temporary traffic lights installed in a boat. Worked really well, when it was running it just sounded like the water pump was running. Lots of work though, it had its own keel cooling tank, vibration mounting and a little acoustic canopy which stuck up in the cruiser stern as it was too high. They'd used the exhaust from the traffic lights and made a new skin fitting for it.