Boom in boating as restrictions lift: inland waterways see use exceed pre-pandemic levels

Ray T

Featured Posts

CRT PRESS RELEASE

23rd July 2021  

BOOM IN BOATING AS RESTRICTIONS LIFT

Inland waterways see use exceed pre-pandemic levels

The Canal & River Trust, the waterways and wellbeing charity which looks after 2,000 miles of waterways across England and Wales, is seeing boats returning to the water in fleets as restrictions lift and the sun shines. With school holidays starting, it could be a record-breaking summer for boating.

Boats cruising the canals pass through locks when they need to go up or downhill, filling and emptying the lock with water. These ‘lockages’ are monitored by the Trust as an essential part of its water resources management to understand the changing patterns in use across the waterways.

Comparing the weekly lockages in 2019, 2020 and 2021 for the three busiest lock sites in each of the charity’s six regions indicates that the numbers of boats out cruising have recovered and in some regions are higher than before the pandemic.

The data compares the latest figures from mid-July, which covers the final week of Step 3 of the UK Government’s coronavirus roadmap, and shows a 5% increase in average lockage counts compared to 2019 and an 11% increase compared to 2020 when boaters were able to take advantage of the reopening after the first national lockdown.

Matthew Symonds, national boating manager at Canal & River Trust, said: “It is said that boating is the fastest way to slow down, and it is clear to see that boaters are keen to get back out on the water cruising after a year that has seen them moored up for months at a time, or unable to take their hireboat holidays. The four-mile an hour maximum speed gives people the perfect opportunity to unwind, take in the changing landscape, spot wildlife, and let the stress of the past year float away.

“With recent research showing that regularly spending time out on the water has a beneficial effect on mental wellbeing, it’s heartening to see boaters exploring the canals once again. As we head into the summer holidays, this could be a record-breaking year for boating on our inland waterways.”

-ends-

For further media requests please contact:

Fran Read, Canal & River Trust

m 07796 610 427 e fran.read@canalrivertrust.org.uk

24 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

No good will come of it, its too soon.  The number of boats requiring intensive care will rocket, possibly overwhelming available resources.

:clapping:

"As this was completely unexpected, we didnt fix the lock paddles like we should have done, have arranged towpath works unpopular places like we shouldnt have done, and 17 mile fishing competitions which was a daft idea(but not my office so I cant take blame for that one).

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 1
  • Horror 1

2 hours ago, Orwellian said:

I didn't say or imply it wasn't.

...said he, not answering the question.

3 hours ago, Idle Days said:

Dunno, but I'dd like to know if anyone has achieved the speed limit he mentioned?  

Oh, frequently: just ask the owners of craft moored in long rows.

54 minutes ago, AndrewIC said:

Given the seemingly constant litany of short stoppages (so many paddles and their rods?), I suspect there are a lot of people on the water this year who won’t be back voluntarily next year.

They may have to return next year to pick up their boat if / when the stoppages have been lifted

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

I've met quite a few newbie hire boaters this year who have said they'd always fancied trying a boating holiday but had never got round to it, but the Covid restrictions on international travel had prompted them to finally give it a go. Well over 50% said they'd enjoyed it so much they intended to do it again, so I think extremely busy canals and the subsequent increase in queues at locks in the summer months is here to stay. Obviously when people are able to holiday abroad again it will ease off a bit but I still reckon it will remain busier than it was pre-Covid.

• Greenie 3