Canaline diesel stopping under load

canalbuff

Featured Posts

Engines are not my comfort zone so be nice please. My Canaline 42 has started to lose power and eventually stop under load. This sometimes happens after 2-3 days happy cruising. Initially a noticeable change in engine tone and finally a full stop, and has to be restarted. The initial prognosis was that air was being sucked into the fuel system. We have tried using the the primer on the fuel filter and there was originally some air pumped out, but this no longer seems to work when tried. The fuel filter had been changed and the separate sedimentor has been checked. We are now checking for any leaks along the fuel lines. If it is air we hope to find the problem however if anyone had any experience of this or has some good advice on other causes (apart from buying a new engine, you wits!) it would be very welcome. Thank you

3 minutes ago, canalbuff said:

Thank you Tony, very helpful, will get this checked

Just run with the filler off, but not in the rain.

Once that has checked as OK it may be something floating about in the furl tank like a raft of bug blocking the inlet to the fuel system.

Thought - the fuel isolator is fully open?

15 minutes ago, canalbuff said:

"Run with the filler off" sorry can you explain further? 

thank you

The one where you put the fuel in.

Edited by The Happy Nomad
To avoid being misleading

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I once tracked a blockage of fuel ....had the tank out twice and steam cleaned ,and all the rest you do ,several times.........finally ,just by chance I saw it when the tank was full of water .....a small piece of a nylon shirt about 1" square.....completely invisible when soaked in diesel,stuck to the tank when steam cleaning,floated away  as soon a fuel was put in.........Moral of the story......tank main outlet should be through a large gauze strainer inside the tank ,removable from the top of the tank......,the strainer would have to completely enveloped in rag ,or a very heavy sludge deposit before any stoppage of the fuel .

Well I think it's not quite resolved yet... My yard say they have found a small flexible pipe under sleeving in the fuel system which was kinked and could kink further when the engine is warm. This has been replaced and they have tested it in situ and are of the believe that this will solve the issue. To date I have not been able to check this but I will keep you informed. Good luck with you investigations 

13 minutes ago, canalbuff said:

Well I think it's not quite resolved yet... My yard say they have found a small flexible pipe under sleeving in the fuel system which was kinked and could kink further when the engine is warm. This has been replaced and they have tested it in situ and are of the believe that this will solve the issue. To date I have not been able to check this but I will keep you informed. Good luck with you investigations 

That sounds a bit worrying - how did it get kinked in the first place?

1 hour ago, canalbuff said:

I had this happen to friends about 18 years ago and turned out it was a known fault with the hose collapsing inside when the flow increased. They didn't find it until being out on a river. Can't remember the make of engine but came from Brundle in Norfolk.

Edit

Just checked the boat yard and they supply Nanni engines 

Edited by ditchcrawler

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, canalbuff said:

Well I finally got to test her this weekend and sadly the problem still exists...🙄

Did you come up with a solution High Hopes 2017?

Anyone else got any ideas?

ta

Long time ago when moving my new (to me) boat from broker to marina, I had similar. How does your fuel get from A to B?

Eventual solution for me involved the fuel pump. When split, there is what I can only describe as a transparent 'plastic' diaphragm between the top and bottom halves. Fuel is pumped by flexing the semi-rigid diaphragm - fuel into bottom chamber, through non-return valve and out top. There was an almost invisible crack in the diaphragm. When fuel level in the tank was high, it was not a major problem but as the fuel level fell and the pump had to 'work', the pump could not develop enough 'suck'/'push'=fuel starvation.

Luckily, RCR sent a proper engineer who wanted to understand the problem as well as just replacing the faulty pump.

Barrus Shire.

Found the rubber fuel hose was not tight where it connected to the fuel filter. It’s internal to the engine so installed at manufacture. Was able to pull the hose off the union without removing the clip. So whilst it wasn’t bad enough to leak fuel, when high suction would have ingested air and starved the injectors. Replaced the clip with two stainless steel jubilee clips. Went out for a run and ran at high power no problems.

IMG_0183.jpg

• Greenie 1