West Stockwith lock to be manned only by volunteers

Momac

Featured Posts

The full time C&RT employed lock keeper tells me he is being take off lock keeping duty at West Stockwith and the lock will be manned only by volunteers. 

• Horror 2

1 minute ago, MartynG said:

The full time C&RT employed lock keeper tells me he is being take off lock keeping duty at West Stockwith and the lock will be manned only by volunteers. 

Why should C&RT pay for something when they have a list of people waiting to don a flat cap, pick up a clip board and look official - all at no charge ?

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Why should C&RT pay for something when they have a list of people waiting to don a flat cap, pick up a clip board and look official - all at no charge ?

Volunteer lock keepers may not be paid a wage but they are not at zero cost. They need training and support staff to organise their shifts . 

3 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Volunteer lock keepers may not be paid a wage but they are not at zero cost. They need training and support staff to organise their shifts . 

Sorry - I forgot C&RTS Inverted management triangle

One Employee

Reports to  two Area Managers

Who report to four Regional Managers

Who report to eight Directors

Tongue Cheek Small.png

4 hours ago, MartynG said:

This is a tidal lock and absolutely no place for amateurs.

• Greenie 3

If it’s your first time in a tidal lock , or even you’ve done it many times, we have always found the lock keepers advice helpful. They know that piece of river and also have seen in in all its various conditions. Where next Shelby?

Bad news indeed but unfortunately I think we all knew it was coming. 

To be honest the days of a keeper at Stockwith/Keadby/Torksey knowing enough about the river to give good advice has long gone anyway,  it all depends who's on duty. 

At Stockwith recently I've had everyone from Neil, the former Torksey keeper who definitely knows his stuff to a bloke who openly admitted he was "off the bank" and didn't really have a clue.

Going through Cromwell one winters day the old time keeper (Chris or Shaun,  I can never remember which) said he was driving down to get me in Stockwith in the morning,  and what time would I like him there! 

14 minutes ago, noddyboater said:

At Stockwith recently I've had everyone from Neil, the former Torksey keeper who definitely knows his stuff to a bloke who openly admitted he was "off the bank" and didn't really have a clue.

It was tear or two ago, but on arrival at Torksey there were no lockies around and no answer on the radio, they eventually turned up and said they were both bank-staff and had been trimming trees back, they were in a pick-up tyruck full off tools and branches, They said they only turn up'  for a couple of hours of HW anyway, and who turns up depends on who is working the nearest to the lock.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It was tear or two ago, but on arrival at Torksey there were no lockies around and no answer on the radio, they eventually turned up and said they were both bank-staff and had been trimming trees back, they were in a pick-up tyruck full off tools and branches, They said they only turn up'  for a couple of hours of HW anyway, and who turns up depends on who is working the nearest to the lock.

Exactly what happened to me at Stockwith. 

The last thing you want if it's your first outing on the tide really isn't it?

1 hour ago, JamesWoolcock said:

Since my post I've just bumped intio Richard Parry and Julie Sharman and made this point and a bag full of others most strongly.

I think we're still speaking!

• Greenie 4

On 22/07/2021 at 16:10, JamesWoolcock said:

To be fair the volunteer who let us out from West Stockwith  this fairly early morning (7am) turned up on time and was competent.

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

To be fair the volunteer who let us out from West Stockwith  this fairly early morning (7am) turned up on time and was competent.

Letting you out is one thing guiding you in on a strong ebb is quite something else. As usual Parry & Co demonstrate where boating fits in their list of priorities. Perhaps a dozen blue signs on the Trent saying "Enjoy your local tidal lock"

We just had a run out of Barmby barrage down to Torksey and met Neil there for first time. What a great guy. He stopped on till 6.30 pm to let us through. The new Lock keeper / grounds man ( not sure of official title ) at Barmby Steve is very helpful ( Environment agency ). He locked us out at 4 in the morning to get the tide. It makes a real difference having the staff live on site. Barmby barrage and the public toilets there are immaculate.