Wiring design software

Featured Posts

Hi All

My scribbled notes on re-organising my cabling are getting a little unmanageable!    I'm looking for software (free if possible!) which i can design and amend/tweak bits and I'm curious if anyone else uses anything that they would recommend?

Looking ideally for something that can output this sort of stuff - thanks!!

x.JPG

Edited by robtheplod

I suspect that was put together with a standard graphics design package, rather than a wiring CAD program. If you are familiar with any graphics design, then this is an option.

This is what I did using this unfortunately named, but free program for my boat, but the learning curve is steep. Kept up to date with any changes as I do them. It is then part of the boats documentation.

Jen

Wiring.png.f34642fa8d74929429fe9d31e96ca6f4.png

• Love 1

8 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I suspect that was put together with a standard graphics design package, rather than a wiring CAD program. If you are familiar with any graphics design, then this is an option.

This is what I did using this unfortunately named, but free program for my boat, but the learning curve is steep. Kept up to date with any changes as I do them. It is then part of the boats documentation.

Jen

Wiring.png.f34642fa8d74929429fe9d31e96ca6f4.png

Thanks so much, really interesting seeing your diagram!

As Jen says, any graphics program will do it but ones that use vectors to define the lines and shapes are better suited because you can very easily modify the lines and shapes. The diagram you show probably had a load of pre-drawn blocks, like the switches, fuses, etc that are simply moved into place.

We really need to know what operating system your computer uses so those who know that system can give good advice. I use Windows Designworks/Draw3 under Wine on a Linux operating system, but that is only because I have used it since the days of DOS. I don't think it's available any longer or if it will work on Windows later than Vista.

Hers is one I have done and other "technical" diagrams of mine get quoted on here now and again.

instcct.gif.4968d020fc25fc9a7086494f47a42607.gif

Edited by Tony Brooks
  • Greenie 1

Just now, Tony Brooks said:

As Jen says, any graphics program will do it but ones that use vectors to define the lines and shapes are better suited because you can very easily modify the lines and shapes. The diagram you show probably had a load of pre-drawn blocks, like the switches, fuses, etc that are simply moved into place.

We really need to know what operating system your computer uses so those who know that system can give good advice. I use Windows Designworks/Draw3 under Wine on a Linux operating system, but that is only because I have used it since the days of DOS. I don't think it's available any longer or if it will work on Windows later than Vista.

Yes, mine was done in a bitmap graphics prog, but vector graphics is superior for this sort of thing. If I was starting from scratch, I'd use Inkscape, which comes for free and you can use on Linux, Mac and Windows.

Jen

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Yes, mine was done in a bitmap graphics prog, but vector graphics is superior for this sort of thing. If I was starting from scratch, I'd use Inkscape, which comes for free and you can use on Linux, Mac and Windows.

Jen

Agreed.

Just had a look and play with Inkscape but seems not very intuitive re altering lines etc.

I wonder about a free version of Serif Drawplus if the OP is running windows.

Edited by Tony Brooks

I used Microsoft PowerPoint because I had it available and I knew how to use it. Lines are simply drawn in any thickness and colour, text is easy to add, whilst for equipment I simply found a suitable image via Google.

It is not the most elegant solution but it works.

• Greenie 1

• 3 weeks later...