Liverpool losing World Heritage status.

Featured Posts

Moderrn water front developments are not in keeping

Liverpool has been stripped of its World Heritage status after a UN committee found developments threatened the value of the city's waterfront.

..........  a report in June by the World Heritage Committee said developments on the city's waterfront had resulted in "irreversible loss of attributes".

It cited the Liverpool Waters project and Everton's new stadium, which is being built at Bramley Moore Dock.

Unesco director Dr Mechtild Rossler said the city had been warned of its potential deletion from the list for many years.

Nearly 30 figures from politics, football and academia signed a letter to The Times in June urging Unesco not to strip the city of its status.

They said the £500m Everton stadium - in one of the city's poorest areas - would "bring millions of people to the shores of the Mersey", where they would learn about "the city's and Britain's maritime past".

Following the announcement, the government said it was "extremely disappointed" and believes Liverpool still deserves its heritage status "given the significant role the historic docks and the wider city have played throughout history".

Artist's impression

Liverpool stripped of Unesco World Heritage status - BBC News

Unesco strips Liverpool of its world heritage status | Liverpool | The Guardian

Edited by Alan de Enfield

On the one hand a lot of the old Dock area is derelict, and looks it but on the other the Mann Island development, the Ferry Terminal building and the Liverpool museum don't do much for the environment they are set in.

If Liverpool are serious to become a Cruise Ship destination then they need a decent terminal (Southampton has 4) Not the marquee in a car park with a rusting gangway leading to the pier, with its bus shelter type waiting areas. And it needs to be in the 'sensitive' area as that's where passengers want to be. Although it may have changed since we were last there.

I should add I really like Liverpool. It was there on a 3 month placement at Halewood, all expenses paid, that I saved up for Js engagement ring.

Edited by pearley
  • Greenie 1

What are the actual implications though?

Financial? Or is it just a status thing?

At the end of the day the Liver building (and the others) isnt exactly Stonehenge or the Taj Mahal, attractive as it is/they are.

Of course somebody will be along shortly to point out it should never have been awarded in the first place due to its connection with the slave trade.

5 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

What are the actual implications though?

Financial? Or is it just a status thing?

At the end of the day the Liver building (and the others) isnt exactly Stonehenge or the Taj Mahal, attractive as it is/they are.

Of course somebody will be along shortly to point out it should never have been awarded in the first place due to its connection with the slave trade.

Yeah, we should knock down all our cities starting with Bristol as they were all built on profits from slave trading.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

eah, we should knock down all our cities starting with Bristol as they were all built on profits from slave trading.

Nottingham was built on the drugs trade (Boots), Textiles (Lace knickers and curtains) and Tobacco (Players), their efforts at 'fitness' was shown by the production of bicycles (Raleigh)

15 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Nottingham was built on the drugs trade (Boots), Textiles (Lace knickers and curtains) and Tobacco (Players), their efforts at 'fitness' was shown by the production of bicycles (Raleigh)

I suppose one could pin some sort of blame on most cities if one looked hard enough.

Sheffield, my home city when I was a boy, appears fairly blameless as far as I can tell. The city did produce munitions and the steel for tanks and warships during the second War, but that was for the defence of the nation against the Nasties, which I think is acceptable.

They provided munitions in the First World War, which could be seen as a little less acceptable, given that they were encouraging a family argument. The people there could also be regarded as a little slow, given that it took them almost a century after it was first proposed to build their canal.

They were told this might happen when the new developments were being built, it's not really new news.

I suspect Liverpool decided to chance it, thinking the possible loss of world heritage was worth the gain from the development, it seems like the gamble worked, swings and roundabouts 

5 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Well for starters, the Beatles now came from Wilmslow. Cilla Black was born and raised in Wigan.

What's wrong with Birkenhead, in fact one of the Beatles had family in Ellesmere Port 

I was about to post it yesterday but forgot...

The committee warned many times not to fiddle with features that brought them world heritage status but they continue to do it.

Now this will be sold to public as 'we did not want to stop development to satisfy heritage status', but they could have worked within certain parameters.

( was listening to Ian Dale yesterday on LBC where an expert on the topic gave some detailed explanation)

Edited by restlessnomad
  • Greenie 2

Why build a Football Stadium on the site of a dock. Could it be that there is a predatory developer hiding at the heart of the scheme, may be. There must be other places to build a football stadium.

It is a sad day in deed for a world heritage site to be lost. For those interested in history it is major blow. What could the Liverpool Council be thinking of. If there was no need for the dock, it could be joined to the Liverpool Link and become available for boaters.

Bramley Moor Dock.jpg