not boat related - help identifying a machine screw size

Featured Posts

I'm going to start the bidding at M6 x 30 - 'cos I've just bought a pack to do some 'T' shaped hinges and they look similar (my tape measure looks similar to yours.

Happy to be corrected, though!

whoops - M6 x 25mm.....

Edited by OldGoat

I guess they are 25mm long, M8 pan headed screws, Screwfix probably has them in boxes of 100 and B&Q in little poly packets., take one along to compare or you will end up with lots of wrong sized nuts and bolts like I have.

Edit to add, see what I mean? Old Goat has got a kitchen draw full of wrong sized nuts and bolts just like me!

Edited by Bee

Old Goat may well be right, but to check measure the diameter across the threads. For M6 this should be fractionally less than 6mm.

M6 threads have a pitch of 1.0mm, so if you hold the threaded section against the edge of the tape the thread ridges should match the mm markings.

3 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

I'm going to start the bidding at M6 x 30 - 'cos I've just bought a pack to do some 'T' shaped hinges and they look similar (my tape measure looks similar to yours.

Happy to be corrected, though!

whoops - M6 x 25mm.....

That is my thought, as its bright probably fairly new and courser than UNF

Or might be M5 (5mm diameter) with a thread pitch of (I think) 0.8mm.

Assuming of course that it is a metric thread.

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

whoops - M6 x 25mm.....

X 20mm.  Thread length on pan head screws is measured from the bottom of the head.

• Greenie 2

5 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Or might be M5 (5mm diameter) with a thread pitch of (I think) 0.8mm.

Assuming of course that it is a metric thread.

M5 I think. Measured the pixel count just now. 6mm on the scale is 56 pixels. The thread looks to be 46 pixels across. Very approximate, but enough to give an idea. 6 threads is 45 pixels, which again suggests it is not M6, but something smaller. Standard M5 threads are on a 0.8mm pitch, which ties in reasonably well.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Wittenham said:

I am regularly in awe of the expertise on tap in this forum so I am hoping to lean on someone who can tell me what i need to order to replace two of these machine screws.  Is there enough info in these photos?

IMG_0485 (1).jpg

IMG_0486 (1).jpg

M5 x 25 pan head pozi....

I think

Edited by matty40s

I've taken the liberty of extracting a couple of bits of tape measure and laying them over the major diameter and threads of the screw,, with no scaling then blowing up the detail. Definitely M5, not M4, or M6. Definitely 10 turns makes 8mm, so 0.8mm pitch.

Jenscrew.jpg.4ce4967ecd66d658b468f9728b8075c4.jpg

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Buy a packet of M4, M5 and M6 nuts, see which one fits, then you can buy 2 of those...

Where are you based, nip into your local boatyard, they will probably give you 4 FOC

Another option is if you have a 5mm drill bit and a drill to hand. Make a hole in a bit of wood. If the screw will push in snug it is M5. If there is a lot of slop it is M4. If it won't fit at all it is M6.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, David Schweizer said:

Well there are some pretty inventive suggestions being put forward, and with the exception of the one being offered by Matty40, none of of them will provide a definitive answer.

We did try, perhaps we shouldn't have bothered. 

Buy yourself a cheap vernier caliper. Its a lot easier and more accurate for measuring something like that than a tape measure and takes the guesswork out.

I bought this from Lidl for about a tenner and despite the price it's actually pretty good.

IMG_20210721_175808.jpg

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

15 hours ago, blackrose said:

Buy yourself a cheap vernier caliper. Its a lot easier and more accurate for measuring something like that than a tape measure and takes the guesswork out.

I bought this from Lidl for about a tenner and despite the price it's actually pretty good.

IMG_20210721_175808.jpg

Yes, these are very useful and appear accurate. However, you must remember to take out the battery between uses, when you press the "off" button it doesn't actually switch off , though the screen goes blank and  so,after a few days, the battery goes flat. Keep the battery in the little holder made for it in the case

44 minutes ago, billh said:

Yes, these are very useful and appear accurate. However, you must remember to take out the battery between uses, when you press the "off" button it doesn't actually switch off , though the screen goes blank and  so,after a few days, the battery goes flat. Keep the battery in the little holder made for it in the case

I have two digital Verniers, one is a cheap Aldi/Lidl purchase, the other is a really good (expensive) Moore and Wright one. I always leave the battery in, and it usually lasts several years. I would suggest that either the vernier is faulty, or you are using poor quality  batteries.