😂 how often is this excuse used then

bigcol

Featured Posts

19 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

There are rings in your picture, was it tied to them?

But to answer your question, yes I suppose you should retie it. But of course that is what the owner is relying on - why bother to tie your boat up adequately for the prevailing conditions, when you know someone else will do it for you?

Where's the owner? If he's not been seen near the boat for a month i wouldn't bother. I've never understood people who leave a whacking great investment lying about in the watery equivalent of the middle of the street for ages and expect  it to be still there in perfect nick when they can be bothered to look after it for a day or two. And I know all about the "I'm on a long cruise round the system, I move it every fortnight, honest" argument. Still daft.

4 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

I mostly agree.  But even worse are people who buy a house next to the canal and then put up a "no mooring" sign on their house.

I suppose it is understandable if they buy a canalside house on the offside of the canal and wake up to someone moored to the end of their garden! 😂🤣

11 minutes ago, bigcol said:

It’s now secured thank you

it had come off its pins

the marina rings are this side,

lol so but who’s fault it it?

the boater doing the excessive speed, (shouldn’t say that, soz). Yep I shouted 😠 

or the boater who purposely leaves his boat on pins, who don’t care,

But knows another grumpy boater who needs to get out of boating,  will make it secure

i don’t know if I’m confused or not 😆 

Just for fun your could always tie it back up facing in the other direction.

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

Well that didn’t take long, only been out an hour! Ascended Glascote, pulled in on the visitor mooring just past the boatyard to get some plastic off the prop. Set off, there were 4 boats tied up just ahead so it was at tickover after just a few seconds to get moving. Passed the first boat, it didn’t move. Passed the second boat, it didn’t move noticeably either, and was tied up reasonably well. As I passed there was some F-ing and blinding from inside, sounded like a domestic. Then  chap in his 20s comes out the back and shouted “Next time SLOW DOWN”. Despite the fact that we were obviously doing under 2mph having only just set off, and barely making a ripple.

I was so gobsmacked that all I could think of to say was “F—- off”. His dad came out and berated us and I said same. He was a small rotund chap but nevertheless suggested we sort it out on the towpath. Although that idea seemed to wain when Jeff appeared from inside. These people just spoil the fun and peace. No wonder some people don’t bother to slow down - you are going to get shouted at anyway, so what’s the point?

Well you passed me at a very reasonable speed, DQ didn't move an inch.

8 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Just for fun your could always tie it back up facing in the other direction.

Once when returning our old shareboat to Norbury Junction in very windy weather, I came across a boat across the cut at Brewood.

I tried to retie it, but the crosswind was so stong I couldn't. In the process, the other pin came free amd the boat drifted across and along the cut, dropping neatly into a slot on the other side a couple of boats further along.  With the wind now pinning it against the bank, I was able to retie it.

I often wonder what the owner thought when he returned to find an empty space and hope he noticed his boat his boat was now on the other side.

19 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Well you passed me at a very reasonable speed, DQ didn't move an inch.

We were going quite a bit faster then, than when I passed the shouting boat. In each case at tickover but prior to that, at cruise speed for your boat and having just set off from the bank for mr shouty

37 minutes ago, bigcol said:

It’s now secured thank you

it had come off its pins

the marina rings are this side,

lol so but who’s fault it it?

the boater doing the excessive speed, (shouldn’t say that, soz). Yep I shouted 😠 

or the boater who purposely leaves his boat on pins, who don’t care,

But knows another grumpy boater who needs to get out of boating,  will make it secure

i don’t know if I’m confused or not 😆 

That’s why I said “not tied up adequately for the prevailing conditions”. Whether or not boats should be speeding, the actuality is that they are (or at least are going faster than you think they should) and any boat being tied up should have that taken into consideration

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Once when returning our old shareboat to Norbury Junction in very windy weather, I came across a boat across the cut at Brewood.

I tried to retie it, but the crosswind was so stong I couldn't. In the process, the other pin came free amd the boat drifted across and along the cut, dropping neatly into a slot on the other side a couple of boats further along.  With the wind now pinning it against the bank, I was able to retie it.

I often wonder what the owner thought when he returned to find an empty space and hope he noticed his boat his boat was now on the other side.

Lol  so funny like to have seen his face on his return !

and again next time a 

As per Cuthounds post

would have love to have been their when the boater reappeared  I’m t would have been funny!!  

and re Rob-M idea. Next time  change direction of boat around lol

Trouble is, don’t think I’m a brave enough!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, bigcol said:

Oh. As another boater go’s past, (sorry but can’t say it, a tad too fast)

can some one answer this question

should I get over there, and repin  the boat no one on board!

maybe it’s their fault, for not securing her properly?

Or they should be aware it’s normal for speeding boaters on canals?

or is it down to everyone else?

no I and other mooreers will tie the boat up

and it was so difficult to say, shout nothing to the boater/twat who saw the commotion in was leaving behind!

C70C0838-6C23-4899-AF63-D09160722C1F.jpeg

image.png.eba3541bd83d6c0697e35fae2732c3c9.png

Looking at your photo, that looks suspiciously like Armco under all that grass, why didn't the owner secure the boat to it either with a chain or it can be done using mooring pins? I've never had a boat come free from being moored on Armco ;)

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond

7 hours ago, nicknorman said:

I really dislike the “pass at tickover” signs. It makes me want to pass faster than I otherwise would. People these days think they have a right to tell other people what to do. It is Control freakery. It is like the unofficial signs displaying a repeat of the perfectly good speed limit sign a few yards away, are people really so stupid as to imaging it makes drivers go slower?

On my drive to the gliding club there is a lone house on a long straight on a quiet scottish country A road (60 limit). The new owners have installed a sign with white writing on a red background something about slowing down due to children and pets. But the sign is quite small and can only be read from a distance of about 20 yards so even if one were inclined to heed it, it is far too late. What are these people on?

Further on, on a B road in the National Park, there is a short stretch of “ribbon village” with a dozen or so houses, with a 40 limit. 40 is a naturally “about right” speed for that stretch and I have never encountered a speeding car coming the other way in 40 years of doing that trip regularly. Nevertheless 2 residents have found it necessary to put up signs in their front gardens, one a replica of a 40 limit sign, the other a textual sign saying 40 limit. This despite the fact that the actual 40 limit sign is large, has those lead-in signs and is only about 50yards away. What are these people hoping to achieve, other than to make themselves look bossy arseholes?

One night I will stop and put up a sign in their gardens that says “we moved from the big city and bought a house in a national park in the country next to a road. Nobody told us there would be CARS! It is outrageous and just to let you know, we hate tourists so poke off and don’t dare to drive past our house!”

Personally I think anyone with a stupid “pass at tickover” signs is also a bossy control freak arse and should be slapped, preferably with a large wet fish.

There, I feel better now.

I thought that erecting signs beside the highway required a permit from local council? Most are unkeen on things that might distract a driver for no good reason. Trh reporting them?

32 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

I thought that erecting signs beside the highway required a permit from local council? Most are unkeen on things that might distract a driver for no good reason. Trh reporting them?

Yes I have thought about that, it is on my to do list which I will attend to once I have located my round tuit.

8 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Well that didn’t take long, only been out an hour! Ascended Glascote, pulled in on the visitor mooring just past the boatyard to get some plastic off the prop. Set off, there were 4 boats tied up just ahead so it was at tickover after just a few seconds to get moving. Passed the first boat, it didn’t move. Passed the second boat, it didn’t move noticeably either, and was tied up reasonably well. As I passed there was some F-ing and blinding from inside, sounded like a domestic. Then  chap in his 20s comes out the back and shouted “Next time SLOW DOWN”. Despite the fact that we were obviously doing under 2mph having only just set off, and barely making a ripple.

I was so gobsmacked that all I could think of to say was “F—- off”. His dad came out and berated us and I said same. He was a small rotund chap but nevertheless suggested we sort it out on the towpath. Although that idea seemed to wain when Jeff appeared from inside. These people just spoil the fun and peace. No wonder some people don’t bother to slow down - you are going to get shouted at anyway, so what’s the point?

Tomorrow could be interesting 

19 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Well, you will soon be passing the Fudge Boat at Polesworth,

:)

58 minutes ago, Laurie Booth said:

Well, you will soon be passing the Fudge Boat at Polesworth,

Already past Polesworth. It was quite busy mooring-wise so I didn’t particularly notice a fudge boat (and nobody shouted because, as always, we passed moored boats without disturbing them (well, the ones that were reasonably well tied up, anyway). Does this boat have some kind of reputation that I’m unaware of?

On 23/07/2021 at 09:44, doratheexplorer said:

There are many reasons why people might be moored in a particular spot.  A breakdown is an obvious one.  Some areas are so busy, that finding one spot is tricky, let alone finding two.   Simple consideration costs nothing.  Nobody is arguing for "stable as houses", the key word in my previous post was "excessively".

Yes you are right add to my point about it sometimes being inconvenient to move, that it is sometimes impossible.

For my part I always slow to tickover when passing, not because I think it is necessary but because I don't like upsetting people or having them upset me. Somehow the tickover rule has become boating etiquette and so I accept that. The "stable as houses" wasnt directed at you but at people who expect boats not to move at all when someone passes. Following your advice to make a reasonable judgement based on the movement of the boats is liable to get you shouted at a lot as many people above testify. This is because it is only 10% about any actual harm caused (because passing too fast very rarely causes any, at least if boats are properly secured) and 90% about moral outrage for breaching etiquette / finding an excuse to have a go.

21 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Then  chap in his 20s comes out the back and shouted “Next time SLOW DOWN”. Despite the fact that we were obviously doing under 2mph having only just set off, and barely making a ripple

Unbelievable, so were they expecting you to drop out of tickover and drift past out of gear in order to get under 2mph, even though you weren't making their boat move? I just feel so frustrated by this whole concept.

I am very considerate and happy to be so, but dropping out of gear to pass just seems like a crazy idea from both the perspective of the moorer and the passer. Id like people passing to be in full control of their boat and to pass as quickly as is reasonable. There is some cost in terms of wear and dents! Even slowing to tickover whenever I pass a boat does cost me in the sense that a solid proportion of the canals have boats moored on them and as a result I see less of the network than I otherwise would have. But I'd prefer to see less and be amicable than see more and try to change boating etiquette. Cowardice I suppose.

We were meeting friends in Bugbrooke yesterday, but opposite the wharf was far too busy with boats and people/dogs, so we carried on through the cutting and moored round the corner near Heyford Fields marina.

One of the Weedon hire boats came past just as we were leaving the boat, a lovely gentle tickover. Round the corner from behind them came a private boat at daft speed, not slowing much as they passed moored boats.

As we walked under the bridge into the cutting, the private boat at full speed attempted to pass the hire boat. He went left of them, hit the Bugbrooke reef and bounced off into the side of the hire boat with a very loud crash.....then carried on passing as though nothing had happened.

They exited the cutting and then crashed into the Wharf pub mooring, tying up.

All the crew were male, late 60's, early 70's and a bunch of pillocks, the hire boat continued on it's way. Daft thing is, they stayed on the back of the boat for 20 minutes before going to the pub.

So, this Aqualine is the boat to look out for.

Yes, its a name and shame.

20210724_110217.jpg

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

Already past Polesworth. It was quite busy mooring-wise so I didn’t particularly notice a fudge boat (and nobody shouted because, as always, we passed moored boats without disturbing them (well, the ones that were reasonably well tied up, anyway). Does this boat have some kind of reputation that I’m unaware of?

Not that I know of,

1 hour ago, jetzi said:

Unbelievable, so were they expecting you to drop out of tickover and drift past out of gear in order to get under 2mph, even though you weren't making their boat move? I just feel so frustrated by this whole concept.

I am moored near them now

• Horror 1

39 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I am moored near them now

Well woe betide you if you set off and pass them at any greater speed than 0.1mph in neutral. Probably best to have the boat craned out and put back in the other side of them!

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Well woe betide you if you set off and pass them at any greater speed than 0.1mph in neutral. Probably best to have the boat craned out and put back in the other side of them!

I have been watching but not seen them shout at anyone yet. Di is in the Co-op so we will set off when she returns

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I have been watching but not seen them shout at anyone yet. Di is in the Co-op so we will set off when she returns

I think from the swearing that came from inside, the lad was doing something with paint and when the boat tilted 1/2 degree something bad happened. My fault for passing of course, not his fault for having an open pot of paint balanced precariously overhanging the edge of a shelf etc etc.

Not speeding, but last Sunday I stopped under a bridge in Alrewas for a crew member to go to a shop for papers and milk. A guy fishing from a boat just beyond the bridge shouted that I can't moor there. I said I wasn't mooring but waiting for friend at a shop. He ranted about my selfishness and I calmly replied that if a boat came along I would move. A paddle boarder went past quite happily and then a boat came so I moved along past two boats to a winding hole to wait. As I passed Mr Angry, he again shouted that I couldn't moor in the winding hole.

I said that if a boat came along to wind I would move. 3 boats passed and I asked each if they wanted to wind and all said no. 

When friend returned I wished the fisherman a better afternoon as he was obviously having a bad morning. He was still ranting as we went on our way.

• Greenie 2