😂 how often is this excuse used then

bigcol

Featured Posts

On the Aire and Calder a few years back, boat movement was noticeable without there even being a boat in sight.  When it eventually passed at snail pace going into a lock, the oil tanker still strained each of the 4 mooring lines.

9 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Yes, but was your speed causing moored boats to move around excessively?  That's the only thing that matters.  Measuring 2.1mph on your gps is irrelevant.

I'd say if you are tied up properly somewhere such that a boat passing at 2mph causes you to move more than you prefer to, then it's on you for choosing an unsuitable mooring for your preference to stay "stable as houses". At the very least you are not in a strong position to be criticising other people's boating... Instead of raising your blood pressure, find a deeper, wider spot to moor?

I follow the same principle with loud music. I prefer not to listen to my neighbours choice in music. I could shake my fist and waggle my tongue at them, or I could just cast off and find another spot. That way they get to enjoy their music and I get to enjoy my peace and quiet. Being able to choose your neighbours (or indeed the canal conditions) is one of the great joys of boating for me.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Steilsteven said:

We were moored on a canal section of the Kennet a few weeks ago along with my son's narrow boat and his mate's narrow boat.

These days no-one bothers to slow down while passing it seems so I put out four lines to act as springs to counter any affect. The two lads never bothered to make any effort to secure their boats properly. Result, two lads shouting at almost everyone because their boats were travelling 2-3 feet while they passed while Petra hardly moved at all.

I think that there is far too much shouting these days and ,when it is all boiled down, no great tragedy has occurred.

As I said to the last person who shouted at me, try a taste of boating in Europe where 3000 tonne barges pass by every few minutes at 10 mph. You could scream at the top of your voice but even if they could hear you it would make no difference.

So chill out, tie your boat up properly, expect some movement because water is slippery stuff, crack open a beer and give a friendly wave.

It is so much better for your blood pressure.

Keith 

I once got told to slow down at Thwaite Mills on the Aire & Calder  Navigation what doing about 4mph.

I always wondered what he did about 500 tonnes.

5 minutes ago, JamesWoolcock said:

I once got told to slow down at Thwaite Mills on the Aire & Calder  Navigation what doing about 4mph.

I always wondered what he did about 500 tonnes.

Tonners!

1 hour ago, jetzi said:

I follow the same principle with loud music. I prefer not to listen to my neighbours choice in music. I could shake my fist and waggle my tongue at them, or I could just cast off and find another spot. That way they get to enjoy their music and I get to enjoy my peace and quiet. Being able to choose your neighbours (or indeed the canal conditions) is one of the great joys of boating for me.

My neighbours today tricked me. I put up with their child screaming with joy nonstop all afternoon and evening, but they only started playing rap with the doors and windows open when it was too late for me to move off. As they seem to have set up residence here, I'll be off at first light.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

My neighbours today tricked me. I put up with their child screaming with joy nonstop all afternoon and evening, but they only started playing rap with the doors and windows open when it was too late for me to move off. As they seem to have set up residence here, I'll be off at first light.

Yes this has happened to me too, it isn't always convenient to have to move. And there are definitely times when asking them to turn the music down is warranted. And there are definitely times when a dressing down for speeding on the canals is fair, especially if it is causing actual damage to your boat or the banks as opposed to just making you rock a bit.

As an aside I often like to moor up by myself on deserted stretches of canals and frequently i find that people will moor right next to me despite there being miles of perfectly good mooring in both directions. I figure it is people who are a bit nervous to moor by themselves, which is fine. But I also thought that given the "pass at tick over" mantra perhaps it is a bit inconsiderate of me NOT to moor near other boats because then people feel the need to slow down just for me.

Have you seen those "pass at TICK OVER" in a red circle signs made by the fitout pontoon many have on their boats? When I am moored up by myself I have genuinely thought of putting up a sign saying "don't mind to slow down, pass at cruising speed if you like" but I figure that won't be well received..

• Greenie 1

9 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

In my Parglena days I had a very loud stereo on the boat, basically a set of near field studio monitors driven by Quad amps 😱

If I ended up in the situation above I would just turn up the volume knowing that mine would be louder than theirs until such time as they would ask me to please turn it down. My answer was always yes provided they turned theirs off as well😎

13 hours ago, jetzi said:

I'd say if you are tied up properly somewhere such that a boat passing at 2mph causes you to move more than you prefer to, then it's on you for choosing an unsuitable mooring for your preference to stay "stable as houses". At the very least you are not in a strong position to be criticising other people's boating... Instead of raising your blood pressure, find a deeper, wider spot to moor?

There are many reasons why people might be moored in a particular spot.  A breakdown is an obvious one.  Some areas are so busy, that finding one spot is tricky, let alone finding two.   Simple consideration costs nothing.  Nobody is arguing for "stable as houses", the key word in my previous post was "excessively".

8 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

I really dislike the “pass at tickover” signs. It makes me want to pass faster than I otherwise would. People these days think they have a right to tell other people what to do. It is Control freakery. It is like the unofficial signs displaying a repeat of the perfectly good speed limit sign a few yards away, are people really so stupid as to imaging it makes drivers go slower?

On my drive to the gliding club there is a lone house on a long straight on a quiet scottish country A road (60 limit). The new owners have installed a sign with white writing on a red background something about slowing down due to children and pets. But the sign is quite small and can only be read from a distance of about 20 yards so even if one were inclined to heed it, it is far too late. What are these people on?

Further on, on a B road in the National Park, there is a short stretch of “ribbon village” with a dozen or so houses, with a 40 limit. 40 is a naturally “about right” speed for that stretch and I have never encountered a speeding car coming the other way in 40 years of doing that trip regularly. Nevertheless 2 residents have found it necessary to put up signs in their front gardens, one a replica of a 40 limit sign, the other a textual sign saying 40 limit. This despite the fact that the actual 40 limit sign is large, has those lead-in signs and is only about 50yards away. What are these people hoping to achieve, other than to make themselves look bossy arseholes?

One night I will stop and put up a sign in their gardens that says “we moved from the big city and bought a house in a national park in the country next to a road. Nobody told us there would be CARS! It is outrageous and just to let you know, we hate tourists so poke off and don’t dare to drive past our house!”

Personally I think anyone with a stupid “pass at tickover” signs is also a bossy control freak arse and should be slapped, preferably with a large wet fish.

There, I feel better now.

I mostly agree.  But even worse are people who buy a house next to the canal and then put up a "no mooring" sign on their house.

• Greenie 2

9 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

I mostly agree.  But even worse are people who buy a house next to the canal and then put up a "no mooring" sign on their house.

Funnily enough I have slightly more sympathy for those. Unfortunately there are a few very inconsiderate people who might for instance take up residence outside someone’s house, run a frame generator at all hours, have drunken parties, burn wet wood or house coal, run their noisy smoky engine for hours etc etc.

When buying a house by a canal I think one can reasonably expect passing boats. What most people probably wouldn’t reasonably expect is inconsiderate squatters taking up residence virtually in the back garden and creating visual, audible and smellable pollution for weeks.

As always, it is the few that spoil it for the many.

• Greenie 2

6 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Funnily enough I have slightly more sympathy for those. Unfortunately there are a few very inconsiderate people who might for instance take up residence outside someone’s house, run a frame generator at all hours, have drunken parties, burn wet wood or house coal, run their noisy smoky engine for hours etc etc.

When buying a house by a canal I think one can reasonably expect passing boats. What most people probably wouldn’t reasonably expect is inconsiderate squatters taking up residence virtually in the back garden and creating visual, audible and smellable pollution for weeks.

As always, it is the few that spoil it for the many.

Thing is, those people are the most likely to ignore the signs.

Well that didn’t take long, only been out an hour! Ascended Glascote, pulled in on the visitor mooring just past the boatyard to get some plastic off the prop. Set off, there were 4 boats tied up just ahead so it was at tickover after just a few seconds to get moving. Passed the first boat, it didn’t move. Passed the second boat, it didn’t move noticeably either, and was tied up reasonably well. As I passed there was some F-ing and blinding from inside, sounded like a domestic. Then  chap in his 20s comes out the back and shouted “Next time SLOW DOWN”. Despite the fact that we were obviously doing under 2mph having only just set off, and barely making a ripple.

I was so gobsmacked that all I could think of to say was “F—- off”. His dad came out and berated us and I said same. He was a small rotund chap but nevertheless suggested we sort it out on the towpath. Although that idea seemed to wain when Jeff appeared from inside. These people just spoil the fun and peace. No wonder some people don’t bother to slow down - you are going to get shouted at anyway, so what’s the point?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Well that didn’t take long, only been out an hour! Ascended Glascote, pulled in on the visitor mooring just past the boatyard to get some plastic off the prop. Set off, there were 4 boats tied up just ahead so it was at tickover after just a few seconds to get moving. Passed the first boat, it didn’t move. Passed the second boat, it didn’t move noticeably either, and was tied up reasonably well. As I passed there was some F-ing and blinding from inside, sounded like a domestic. Then  chap in his 20s comes out the back and shouted “Next time SLOW DOWN”. Despite the fact that we were obviously doing under 2mph having only just set off, and barely making a ripple.

I was so gobsmacked that all I could think of to say was “F—- off”. His dad came out and berated us and I said same. He was a small rotund chap but nevertheless suggested we sort it out on the towpath. Although that idea seemed to wain when Jeff appeared from inside. These people just spoil the fun and peace. No wonder some people don’t bother to slow down - you are going to get shouted at anyway, so what’s the point?

I would agree that being shouted at for going too fast has no correlation with whether you are actually going too fast.

Its best just to smile and wave in that situation, I know you can do it !

Nothing else will get you anywhere. Smiling usually either resolves it or puts the other persons blood pressure up. They cant lash out. Anything else just ups the ante. If I can remember to it works well when driving too. 

• Greenie 1

Oh. As another boater go’s past, (sorry but can’t say it, a tad too fast)

can some one answer this question

should I get over there, and repin  the boat no one on board!

maybe it’s their fault, for not securing her properly?

Or they should be aware it’s normal for speeding boaters on canals?

or is it down to everyone else?

no I and other mooreers will tie the boat up

and it was so difficult to say, shout nothing to the boater/twat who saw the commotion in was leaving behind!

C70C0838-6C23-4899-AF63-D09160722C1F.jpeg

There are rings in your picture, was it tied to them?

But to answer your question, yes I suppose you should retie it. But of course that is what the owner is relying on - why bother to tie your boat up adequately for the prevailing conditions, when you know someone else will do it for you?

It’s now secured thank you

it had come off its pins

the marina rings are this side,

lol so but who’s fault it it?

the boater doing the excessive speed, (shouldn’t say that, soz). Yep I shouted 😠 

or the boater who purposely leaves his boat on pins, who don’t care,

But knows another grumpy boater who needs to get out of boating,  will make it secure

i don’t know if I’m confused or not 😆