😂 how often is this excuse used then

bigcol

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, nicknorman said:

I think from the swearing that came from inside, the lad was doing something with paint and when the boat tilted 1/2 degree something bad happened. My fault for passing of course, not his fault for having an open pot of paint balanced precariously overhanging the edge of a shelf etc etc.

Sorry to disappoint but the boats had left before we did, I think that probably they were already different boats to when you passed as we had several boats go by causing us to bang (no fenders down and lines angled in) and didn't hear any complaints.

On 23/07/2021 at 10:38, nicknorman said:

Funnily enough I have slightly more sympathy for those. Unfortunately there are a few very inconsiderate people who might for instance take up residence outside someone’s house, run a frame generator at all hours, have drunken parties, burn wet wood or house coal, run their noisy smoky engine for hours etc etc.

When buying a house by a canal I think one can reasonably expect passing boats. What most people probably wouldn’t reasonably expect is inconsiderate squatters taking up residence virtually in the back garden and creating visual, audible and smellable pollution for weeks.

As always, it is the few that spoil it for the many.

No different to living next door to noisy neighbours though is it?

If you buy a house and have next door neighbours you can't dictate what they can and can't do, so why do those who buy a house overlooking a canal think that they have any right to?

Whenever I see unofficial ''no mooring'' signs I feel it my duty to moor there. I rarely do of course because I prefer a quiet life.

Keith

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Steilsteven said:

Whenever I see unofficial ''no mooring'' signs I feel it my duty to moor there. I rarely do of course because I prefer a quiet life.

We came across one of these once, think it was after the waterpoints once we'd come up Grindley Brook locks. We moored up, threw open the side hatch, and let the great smell of breakfast waft towards the house. The old lass came to the gate to stare at us, we wished her a good morning and she went away grumbling :D 

1 hour ago, Steilsteven said:

No different to living next door to noisy neighbours though is it?

If you buy a house and have next door neighbours you can't dictate what they can and can't do, so why do those who buy a house overlooking a canal think that they have any right to?

Keith

If the noisy neighbours persist in making too much noise you can involve the Environmental Health Officer (EHO) from the local council.

That is how we got our rescue GSD. His previous owners allowed him to bark uncontrollably, the neighbours eventually involved the EHO, who gave them 30 days to rehome him or have him put down.

I agree it is more difficult to deal with noisy boaters though.

1 hour ago, Hudds Lad said:

We came across one of these once, think it was after the waterpoints once we'd come up Grindley Brook locks. We moored up, threw open the side hatch, and let the great smell of breakfast waft towards the house. The old lass came to the gate to stare at us, we wished her a good morning and she went away grumbling :D 

Those have now been replaced by official CRT no mooring signs. That's progress, aint it?

• Sad 1

On 20/07/2021 at 16:08, Richard10002 said:

I don't think col was talking about "all boats" having to move so slowly that they have to drop into neutral now and then. He was talking about "some boats" that are obviously going too fast, who excuse themselves with the "as slow as I can go" excuse.

Given that we all manage to moor, quite precisely sometimes, and mooring requires ending up stopped, I would suggest that we are all able to control our boats with a speed from less than tickover, right down to stopped.

There is no excuse for going too fast past moored boats. I suppose col could ask those giving him a hard time what speed is too fast, below which it is "not too fast". I've seen 2mph mentioned here a few times, so maybe that is a good starting point?

By the same token, if boats doing 2mph or less, (or whatever speed is decided), make your boat move more than you would like, you could tie up better :) 

I go past at 1000 rpm or a bit less which is around 2mph so able to steer also why should I waste my time creeping past at 1 mph just to please the Earl Grey tea drinker or Tesco lager drinker depending on which end of the wealth spectrum they are from. If you don't want your boat/home to moving about sell up and buy a house or better still cruise with it after all its a boat. I try hard not to loose my rag with them but having failed my anger management classes I find it hard.lol.

On the same subject went past a fishing competition the other day must have been a 100 of them I always set the speed and cruise past them all at the same speed so all treated the same way the last one and I mean the LAST one shouted about slowing down, again making me loose the plot.lol.

• Greenie 1

Doesnt it cause more wear of mooring lines if boats are made to move more? That and the fear that the boat moored isnt as well moored as everyone on here makes me go pretty slowly past boats that have stopped. Im overall likely to waste more time stopping and  mooring up a boat that's come adrift that going a little slower past them all. 

I confess sometimes I moor up in places where the pins dont go in as deeply as I would wish, mainly as such places are peaceful places to moor up for an overnight stay. I wouldn't leave a boat there unattended for any time, but we cant always moor  perfectly  at all times. 

Funny enough, our neighbours borrowed our dingy yesterday, again to  re pin  a boat accross the canal,

this time he hit the pin so hard and deep, you could just tell with the glimpse of the top off pin.

that’s one boater who’s going to be swearing when he finally returns.

the boater could have used metal mooring strips, but chose not to, or didn’t see them.

for us all, its amusing seeing the few boaters speeding past, smelling the air, oblivious to the carnage behind them

but this is everyone else’s problem.

and the Moorers who stick their pins in with jelly hammers

or a mate going accross in the dingy, with the drain plug out!!!!  😂 😂 😂 

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/07/2021 at 09:43, jetzi said:

I hate being shouted at when I'm having a relaxing boat trip, so I always drop down to tickover at least a boat length's away from the moorer even though I think it's faintly ridiculous. I still got shouted at every now and then at tickover, but I'm not going to drop out of gear, that's asking too much I feel. After I installed a hospital silencer I haven't been shouted at yet, so I reckon it's mostly about perception, innit?

Dropping to ticker at one boats length will have hardly any effect on your speed. The momentum of 18 tonnes will see to that.  I have GPS and it takes about four or five boat lengths to slow from 3.3 mph to 2.4mph.  I see this all the time and a lot of boaters don't seem to get it.

11 hours ago, Markblox said:

Dropping to ticker at one boats length will have hardly any effect on your speed. The momentum of 18 tonnes will see to that.  I have GPS and it takes about four or five boat lengths to slow from 3.3 mph to 2.4mph.  I see this all the time and a lot of boaters don't seem to get it.

I agree, most boats slow down the engine way too late.

I always slow down well before passing a moored boat, and always look behind to make sure any following waves have died down well before I reach the moored boat.

My boat's engine is very quiet and I have only been asked (told) to slow down when on tick over about twice.

I think it is the noise that makes many think you are going too fast.

On the south Oxford where I moor the water is very shallow and any boat moving will cause a poorly moored boat to be disturbed.