๐Ÿ˜‚ how often is this excuse used then

bigcol

Featured Posts

7 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Can we all please get past the idea of a correct speed for passing moored boats, whether it be 2mph, 1mph or anything else.ย  Chances are you have no way to measure your speed that accurately anyway, and on shallower canals, you can't get much above 2mph even at high revs if your boat has a relatively deep draft.ย 

ย 

Problems are not just caused by speed.ย  Canal width, canal depth, canal profile and how close you pass all have a big effect.

ย 

Much better to just keep an eye on moored boats you pass.ย  If you're throwing them around or making them heel over significantly, then slow down a bit more.ย  It's simple courtesy.

ย 

Caveat to the above:ย  If they're not tied up securely, or are using a centre line, do whatever you want! ๐Ÿ˜‚

ย 

I've been told off for speeding once this year.ย  I was on the GU passing a line of widebeams, all of them barely moving.ย  I was crawling past even slower than usual, but my engine was loud.ย  That is because i had just picked up something on my prop and was have having to really rev it to keep any control, and forward propulsion.ย  I was looking for somewhere to pull in to go down the weedhatch.ย  The idiot guy moaning had obviously heard my loud engine but paid no attention at all to what was happening to his boat.

Alleluia! 100 greenies for a brill and sensible answer x

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, MrsM said:

Alleluia! 100 greenies for a brill and sensible answer x

I couldn't agree more.

But today I was reprimanded by The Foxes Afloat as I passed them at Mancetter on the Coventry canal heading towards Hartshill Yard! Heavy ex FMC steamer hull in mud and shallow-ish water with justย few extra revs on on a FR3, 2.1mph showing on the GPS and bingo, the head popped out demanding that I slow down.

Having said that I knew exactly how fast I was travelling, I offered some mooring advice but I got the impression it wasn't well received.ย 

Oh well, apparently they're the experts!

• Haha 3
  • Horror 1

4 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

ย 

All boats have swims. They are not fitted, but are part of the hull design. Basicly the swim is that part of the underwater hull between the pointed bit and where that hull is full width, one at the back , and one at the front. The following photos illustrate the swims. The first photo shows the forward swim which extends from the bow to where the three hull guard irons end The second photo shows the rear end swim, which extends from the propeller to the middle guard iron end.

686485177_Braunston007-Copy.jpg.e5e2d2e6176a1fdf24df115119d42364.jpg

ย 

451140879_Braunston008-Copy.jpg.e13fe9c6b8e04b9c41d0c89089fc3e86.jpg

ย 

ย 

ย 

Well I never did! ย These are a wonderfulย idea; will be a great help when I'm towing the wife on her water skis.

5 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

ย 

All boats have swims. They are not fitted, but are part of the hull design. Basicly the swim is that part of the underwater hull between the pointed bit and where that hull is full width, one at the back , and one at the front. The following photos illustrate the swims. The first photo shows the forward swim which extends from the bow to where the three hull guard irons end The second photo shows the rear end swim, which extends from the propeller to the middle guard iron end.

686485177_Braunston007-Copy.jpg.e5e2d2e6176a1fdf24df115119d42364.jpg

ย 

451140879_Braunston008-Copy.jpg.e13fe9c6b8e04b9c41d0c89089fc3e86.jpg

ย 

ย 

I've always known the 'front swim'ย as the "entry".

21 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I have had it the other way round, following a hire boat so doing the same speed and a bloke on a moored boat I was passing complaining about the speed of the hire boat. Mind you I did get abuse from an old boy fishing who claimed I should just drift past

ย 

He must have OD'd on his misery pills! ๐Ÿ˜‚

On 20/07/2021 at 13:52, Naughty Cal said:

I think it is time you found something else to do Col.

ย 

All you seem to do is complain. Perhaps boating isn't for you anymore?

ย 

Yes. Feeling one's boat move is part of what being on a boat is all about. Anyone who doesn't want to feel that should think about downgrading to a static caravan.

On 20/07/2021 at 16:22, David Mack said:

I forget where it was when, approaching a line of moored boats there was a sign on the bank saying "Slow past moored boats". And then on the first moored boatย "No! Slower than that!".

ย 

ย 

ย Or if you are a deep drafted boat in a narrow shallow channel, in which case there will be a degree of water displacement no matter how slowly you pass.

I think that it was on the Middle Levels prolly close to Upwell.

ย 

N

1 hour ago, JamesWoolcock said:

I couldn't agree more.

But today I was reprimanded by The Foxes Afloat as I passed them at Mancetter on the Coventry canal heading towards Hartshill Yard! Heavy ex FMC steamer hull in mud and shallow-ish water with justย few extra revs on on a FR3, 2.1mph showing on the GPS and bingo, the head popped out demanding that I slow down.

Having said that I knew exactly how fast I was travelling, I offered some mooring advice but I got the impression it wasn't well received.ย 

ย 

They obviously don'tย practice what they preach. When they passed my mooring a couple of days ago they were leaving quite a wake. ๐Ÿ˜ฃ

Edited by cuthound
Spillung
  • Horror 1

11 minutes ago, cuthound said:

ย 

They obviously don'tย practice what they preach. When they passed my mooring a couple of days ago they were leaving quite a wake. ๐Ÿ˜ฃ

Oh, surely not! I understood that they were experts according to some of their followers.

ย 

haggis

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, nicknorman said:

ย 

I would say that 50% of moored boats we pass either on pins or to piling (where you can choose your own position to attach the lines)ย are at or very close to 90 degrees. And quite a few tied to the roof-mounted centre line as well.ย No wonder their boats rock badly at the slightest hint of a passing boat. Some people, in fact many people it seems, really have absolutely no idea how to operate and tie up their boats. I have no sympathy for incompetence.

ย 

So itโ€™s interesting that both Jetzi and I are expounding the 45 degree thing, and neither of us has an issue with passing boats.ย 

Currently sat on the piling just south of Kinver. This is our standard mooring angle for chains. We don't move around at all, unless someone really hammers past or unless the pound has dropped a lot since we've moored. Nor have I ever really felt the need to shout at people to slow down either.

ย 

IMG_20210721_203346.jpg

IMG_20210721_203432.jpg

• Greenie 2

12 minutes ago, haggis said:

Oh, surely not! I understood that they were experts according to some of their followers.

ย 

haggis

ย 

They were too busy filming the cottage opposite to notice my boat and slow down for it!

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, cuthound said:

ย 

They were too busy filming the cottage opposite to notice my boat and slow down for it!

Do you think you should suggest a visit to Specsavers for them? Your boat is not exactly invisible there!

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, blackrose said:

ย 

Yes. Feeling one's boat move is part of what being on a boat is all about. Anyone who doesn't want to feel that should think about downgrading to a static caravan.

ย I really havenโ€™t got any problems with feeling boat movement at all

If you read the post from the beginning, I wasnโ€™t asking the question for me

but generally. This is because in the last week weโ€™ve had some fast ones!!

Nowย Iโ€™m thinking I also can start saying that in retaliation to causing some nice wake for folks

when opening our boat up lol

if you canโ€™t beat em, join em

17 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

ย 

I'm wasted here ....................

ย 

(say) you were doing 4mph and he was doing 4mph the closing speed was 8mph YOU WERE APPROACHING HIM AT 8 mph

And some fell on stony ground.๐Ÿ˜ฒ

• Greenie 1

14 hours ago, JamesWoolcock said:

I couldn't agree more.

You couldn't agree more, yet you then proceed to go on about your speed rather that your impact on the boats you're passing.ย  Interesting.

On 20/07/2021 at 17:20, David Schweizer said:

Some years ago, I met someone who told me that his response to anyone shoutuing at him as he passed, was to look at his wrist watch and shout the time. By the time that the shouter had realised what he had said,ย  he was well away.

Our last boat had a traditional Rigas Dizelis engine which was fairly loud, and being mountedย  just forward of the steering position made it even louder, so that it was often impossible to hear what anyone on another boat was saying. I developed the technique of "smiling inanely" as Mrs. Athy kindly put it, though I would contest the "inanely". A smile helps to diffuse a situation - though, as I couldn't hear the comments which other people were making, I have no idea whether they were antagonistic or not.

15 hours ago, Theo said:

I think that it was on the Middle Levels prolly close to Upwell.

ย 

N

That would surprise me, as I can't think where there are enough moored boats around here to constitute a line.

Although, if it was some years ago that's possible, as there were some long-term moorings adjoining Clark's Farm. I think the local council decided that the moorings were illegal, so the boats then dispersed.