😂 how often is this excuse used then

bigcol

Featured Posts

There's the odd boat or two that crawls along at 1mph on tickover holding everyone up, then there's the odd boat or two belting along at 3mph on tickover causing mayhem, then there's the odd boater or two who are disappointed if a boat passes at slow speed and gives no excuse for them to throw a much needed wobbly. 

Boaters, don't we just love 'em? 

• Happy 1

Re-reading this thread, I am surprised how many people seem to  be unable to maintain a slow speed whilst still in gear. We had the throttle on Helvetia set so that we could easily maintain a speed of significantly less than 1mph whilst still in gear, we could also maintain steering in calm weather for a reasonable distance, with the engine out of gear. Of course much of this was probably less to do with us, and more to do with the hull design, which had 15ft swims, an under way draught of about 32 inches, and huge rudder, all of which aided steerage. The attached photo gives some indication of the size of the sterngear. For comparison, that little egg whisk in front of the rudder is actually 17" prop.

230491739_Braunston011(3).jpg.f0aa850491c6b5f7118746826200869e.jpg

• Greenie 1
  • Unimpressed 1

I had much the same nonsense shouted at me the other day as I came out of Park Gate Lock, I would challenge anyone to get up to excessive speed within a boat's length of leaving a lock. My stock reply now is,"This is the right speed for people who know how to tie their boats up properly, for those who don't they really need to learn":rolleyes:

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

I had much the same nonsense shouted at me the other day as I came out of Park Gate Lock, I would challenge anyone to get up to excessive speed within a boat's length of leaving a lock. My stock reply now is,"This is the right speed for people who know how to tie their boats up properly, for those who don't they really need to learn":rolleyes:

Challenge accepted.

FB_IMG_1626801838510.jpg.cedf3a9591be8251d666e75612b7af9b.jpg

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, bigcol said:

Love to know,

so how many times have you shouted back  the following.then?

CANT GO ANY SLOWER !!!!!!!  {this is 

is dropping in and outer of forward reverse gear that difficult ??
or is this a a growing art now days.

this isn’t just hirers, but all boat owners as well

same old, same old I suppose 

the faint screams of a blustering red  face man, who doesn't understand boatman ship

Big Col

I am sorry I wont be going in and out of reverse while passing moored boats, I will drift by in neutral if you are in the process of tying your boat up but otherwise its just slow.

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, Thomas C King said:

On the Oxford, a fisherman shouted at me for stopping because the next fisherman along hadn't lifted his rod or suggested that he would. I now realise, I'm meant to just trust that in a row of ten or so anglers each one will lift their rod at the last minute...

Then you meet the angler with headphones on....

Sorry, really not my fault.😁

We're on a fairly shallow stretch and generally find boats keeping a steady speed of around 2-2.5 mph make the least disturbance (with the exception of widebeams, who generally give little consideration to their size).

I must admit that it takes a lot to make me shout - which inevitably has zero effect on the passing idiot and always leaves me feeling lousy.

Thank you folks, I’m very happy on my moorings, tied up nice and tight, using springs, mooring up for years with no accidents, claims etc I happy.

Just this week lots of Boaters have been  intent to thrash through, to get to the other end, or back to the hire centre at Full  ahead.

but for Boaters who seem to enjoy yet again more speeding, being inconsiderate to other users, 

not looking behind them, kids bubbling with excitetment racing each other on the roof, pulling out pins yes it seems its

not my problem folks

all in under a week, just one week, this is the future.

Having a Widebeam dutchbarge, over propped, I know yep my fault, but I still  disengage gear, when noticing that I could be going on the fast side.

Plus I don’t want to get shouted at either. I’ve have been scream at as well, but now I’m thinking I was part of the in team.

To enjoy my self further, I need to keep in gear, and speed up. Head down!!

and sorry for the bad selling and grammer

Edited by bigcol
Spelling again

1 hour ago, Tam & Di said:

Never mind - if you keep at it you will eventually learn that going into and out of gear is not good for the engine and leaves you out of control of your boat. The art of boatmanship is learning about things like that.

Tam

What do you do when you are mooring?

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, BWM said:

We're on a fairly shallow stretch and generally find boats keeping a steady speed of around 2-2.5 mph make the least disturbance (with the exception of widebeams, who generally give little consideration to their size).

I must admit that it takes a lot to make me shout - which inevitably has zero effect on the passing idiot and always leaves me feeling lousy.

Yes it’s always the wide beams fault,

yep should have known

not many of those on hire company’s books tho?

although nice to hear that old chestnut again

yep Thankyou for that,  laughing now, thank you for the memory. 😂 

Cant be a bad day then?

may be next week I will feel better

• Greenie 1

20 minutes ago, bigcol said:

Yes it’s always the wide beams fault,

yep should have known

not many of those on hire company’s books tho?

although nice to hear that old chestnut again

yep Thankyou for that,  laughing now, thank you for the memory. 😂 

Cant be a bad day then?

may be next week I will feel better

Loads of hire boats passing us and rarely are they the ones speeding. I'd assume from your odd reply you are a widebeam owner, very thin skinned too.

Naughty Cal, Thanks for the advice lol

We’re happy, always have on the water, just been a bad few days with, health, and what’s been occurring on the water.

And BDM, no not thinned skinned at all, in fact your post made a smile, and Thank you for that.

From rag and stick, Gin palaces to by old woodys,  petrol vs diesel, floating or not.

seen it and laughed through it all, your comments reminds me very much to the days of friendly boat banter.

had many good nights,  fact is we’re all the the same boat.!

col

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

I've only ever been shouted at to slow down when we had the hire boat a few weeks ago, never on my own boat, despite the fact the hire boat tickover was set to crawl along and the continuous moorer concerned didn't feel the need to shout at the private boat in front of us who was going a lot faster, just giving him a cheerful wave and nod of the head instead. I think some people just see hire boats as an easy target sometimes.

That said in 3 hours today I've nearly been T-boned at speed on a straight bit of canal, had a lock turned against me when less than 100 yards away down a perfectly clearly visible approach, and then finally had some obnoxious bloke with family having his lunch moored on a lock landing and blocking the bottom gate who had a right strop on that I'd asked him to move it back. All three from the same company. Problem is once you get a few experiences like that then it's all too easy to form an opinion based on the livery of the boat coming towards you.

We decided to stop early today in case we met any more !

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, gatekrash said:

I've only ever been shouted at to slow down when we had the hire boat a few weeks ago, never on my own boat, despite the fact the hire boat tickover was set to crawl along and the continuous moorer concerned didn't feel the need to shout at the private boat in front of us who was going a lot faster, just giving him a cheerful wave and nod of the head instead. I think some people just see hire boats as an easy target sometimes.

That said in 3 hours today I've nearly been T-boned at speed on a straight bit of canal, had a lock turned against me when less than 100 yards away down a perfectly clearly visible approach, and then finally had some obnoxious bloke with family having his lunch moored on a lock landing and blocking the bottom gate who had a right strop on that I'd asked him to move it back. All three from the same company. Problem is once you get a few experiences like that then it's all too easy to form an opinion based on the livery of the boat coming towards you.

We decided to stop early today in case we met any more !

I have had it the other way round, following a hire boat so doing the same speed and a bloke on a moored boat I was passing complaining about the speed of the hire boat. Mind you I did get abuse from an old boy fishing who claimed I should just drift past

7 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

I don't think col was talking about "all boats" having to move so slowly that they have to drop into neutral now and then. He was talking about "some boats" that are obviously going too fast, who excuse themselves with the "as slow as I can go" excuse.

Given that we all manage to moor, quite precisely sometimes, and mooring requires ending up stopped, I would suggest that we are all able to control our boats with a speed from less than tickover, right down to stopped.

There is no excuse for going too fast past moored boats. I suppose col could ask those giving him a hard time what speed is too fast, below which it is "not too fast". I've seen 2mph mentioned here a few times, so maybe that is a good starting point?

I believe (but could be mistaken) that the 2mph figure appears in some CRT publication, and so it seems reasonable to expect boats to come past at up to 2mph. I'm a bit sensitive to this as I've recently had a few people shouting the usual 'slow down' abuse when I know I'm in tickover. And I'm very sure my boat doesn't do 2mph at tickover on any canal. Similarly the gentleman who I think shouted "slow down you pr'k" when I passed, not overly quickly, in a crosswind gusting 30mph didn't really enamour me with his understanding of boat handling either. The issue seems to be that some people want to 'play boats' without any of the inconvenient realities of boats.

The expectation that everyone should pass at tickover is mental and unfounded and should be actively pushed back against at every opportunity. People should pass at an appropriate speed for the conditions at that moment — surely we all, for example, pass more cautiously when we see boats moored by pins to soggy mud than we do when we see boats moored with chain to piling? Similarly, are you really going to slow at all for the boat moored on the opposite bank of a deep and wide river? 2mph seems like a good starting point on the canals, but it always has to be subject to local conditions. Some waterways are shallower, some deeper, some boats displace a huge amount of water compared to some others. Etc etc etc. No allowance should be made for shoddy (but secure) mooring practice though.

(I'm not disagreeing with you — just fleshing out my thoughts now that I'm sat on my sofa and not at work.)

7 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

By the same token, if boats doing 2mph or less, (or whatever speed is decided), make your boat move more than you would like, you could tie up better :) 

• Greenie 1
  • Love 2

And sorry Col if I've jumped to any conclusions,  but it seemed a reasonable assumption that people using this excuse aren't tearing along — it'd be a bit implausible to claim you can't go any slower while simultaneously pushing the speed limit!)

• Love 1

8 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

What do you do when you are mooring?

Well I certainly don't keep going into and out of gear. However my point really was to counter BigCol's silly demand that that is what boats should do when the go past him, and that he thinks this is the art of boatmanship..

Tam

Edited by Tam & Di

13 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

Re-reading this thread, I am surprised how many people seem to  be unable to maintain a slow speed whilst still in gear. We had the throttle on Helvetia set so that we could easily maintain a speed of significantly less than 1mph whilst still in gear, we could also maintain steering in calm weather for a reasonable distance, with the engine out of gear. Of course much of this was probably less to do with us, and more to do with the hull design, which had 15ft swims, an under way draught of about 32 inches, and huge rudder, all of which aided steerage. The attached photo gives some indication of the size of the sterngear. For comparison, that little egg whisk in front of the rudder is actually 17" prop.

230491739_Braunston011(3).jpg.f0aa850491c6b5f7118746826200869e.jpg

Our Colecraft will do that and I don't think it is fitted with "swims"; whatever they are. 

6 hours ago, Tam & Di said:

Well I certainly don't keep going into and out of gear. However my point really was to counter BigCol's silly demand that that is what boats should do when the go past him, and that he thinks this is the art of boatmanship..

Tam

Hi Tam

i don’t think once, did I mention about past just OUR boat, I don’t think boaters see or realise the long line

their too intent on getting to the other end, and yes quite funny how when two boats or more coming  passing together hardly ever slow down

they just carry on. I really think that they make it hook by crook, we also like others have fenders out of course.

i was talking generally,  must be 18 boats all in a line here,

I wasn’t just talking about the marina, which on the cut, but just as many boats on the CRT towpath right opposite may be a dozen, being here for nearly 12 years, and we.over the years the community here are always tying up peaples boats, not this pas week mind as other boaters on that side do seem to sort them selves out, but many a time we’ve all had to secure

the boats back up.

the most and one time was four boats, all time record for us all here!