River Trent Locks

noddyboater

Featured Posts

I think I would rather take my chances out on the river rather then risk mooring on the Muskham Ferry moorings in a flood :lol:

They were rickerty even in normal summer river conditions!!

But certainly the CRT floating pontoons at Cromwell, Newark, Farndon, Gunthorpe, Stoke and Nottingham would be safe during flood conditions. Although boat height permitting getting up onto the canal at Nottingham would be the obvious place to moor there.

On 20/07/2021 at 10:59, noddyboater said:

I do most of my Trent boating in winter, when you work the locks yourself apart from on the tidal section. 

I recently had the pleasure of a couple of long days moving a boat from Keadby to Mercia Marina and noticed how things have changed since my last summer trip.

Cromwell lock for example,  used to be manned from early til late evening this time of year,  now 9am - 4pm!    But at least the keepers on there know how to operate the lock. 

At Newark Nether lock we were told that we would get through town lock but then "You'll have to moor below at Hazleford and go through tomorrow when someone is on duty"

This was while she filled the lock with the wrong paddle,  oblivious to the turbulence caused,  something I would have thought was basic training. 

I can understand advice being given on the cautious side if someone doesn't look/sound competent,  but we had already said Gunthorpe was our destination that evening. Not too many years back the last keeper you met on duty would radio ahead and ask colleagues to leave locks empty and bottom gates open,  something actually useful. 

The is only one paddle working at Nether so it could not have been the wrong one. The turbulence is much less if you can remain near the bottom gates .

Similarly Hazelford has one working paddle.

The neglect of maintenance at most locks is evident.

I booked Cromwell for  8th July  at 8pm . After refusal from the lock keeper I contacted head office who arranged a lock keeper to be on duty  . 

3 minutes ago, MartynG said:

The is only one paddle working at Nether so it could not have been the wrong one. The turbulence is much less if you can remain near the bottom gates .

Similarly Hazelford has one working paddle.

The neglect of maintenance at most locks is evident.

I booked Cromwell for  8th July  at 8pm . After refusal from the lock keeper I contacted head office who arranged a lock keeper to be on duty  . 

If there is only one paddle working we should have been directed to the correct side of the chamber by the keeper. With only ourselves in the lock it wouldn't have been complicated. 

I worked Hazleford myself and couldn't remember a paddle being out. But it had been a long day by then already. 

1 hour ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Isnt Newark also off the Trent and canalised though? There used to be nice moorings opposite the castle ruins

Yes it is 'canalised'  and the high wall on the downstream side of Town Lock is a good mooring but being so high is not easy to get off with the dog -  but is still prone to very high levels, and actually flood overtoping (by the Pizza place in front of the Barge Pub)  almost opposite where are you are talking about, but under the bridge.

There is normally 4-5 feet of wall there but it does occasionally get 'topped', It even goes up the steps towards the actual car park

The wall you mention must be ~10 feet high and a safe mooring if you can moor properly for large changes in water height (long springs and short bow and stern lines)

This was a couple of days before it over topped - normally several feet of wall showing.

CAM00002.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield