Replacing a fridge

haggis

Featured Posts

How to other boaters replace the fridge on their boat? Are there canal side chandleries where you can (by prior arrangement) buy a new fridge and they take the old one back and dispose of it (at a cost)? . if there are no such facilities, what do you do? 

I don't think there is space on the boat for two fridges while you cruise to one of the canal side recycling  centres. 

haggis

I checked with Midland Chandlers but they said they wouldn't take the old one. Someone suggested leaving it at a CRT station with a sign saying "working order free to a good home" but I'm sure that's counted as fly tipping. I have asked on here if anyone wants it but no takers so far so will have wait until I get back to our moorings in October then scrap it.

28 minutes ago, Midnight said:

I checked with Midland Chandlers but they said they wouldn't take the old one. Someone suggested leaving it at a CRT station with a sign saying "working order free to a good home" but I'm sure that's counted as fly tipping. I have asked on here if anyone wants it but no takers so far so will have wait until I get back to our moorings in October then scrap it.

I had emailed MC but had no reply and your answer tells me that is a non starter. Our car is big enough to fit a fridge in the boot BUT it is full of a very heavy Trans K9 dog cage which is too big to get onto the boat while we fridge shuffle.  Looks like we will just have to hope the fridge doesn't give up the ghost 🙂 

haggis

I have to say that I thought The WEEE (Waste electrical and electronic equipment) regulations placed a responsibility on retailers to help with disposal of old appliances even if they charge for the service. It sounds like MC are choosing to side step this obligation.

Edited by Wizzer

over the years I have swapped fridges several times,  either I drove to the boat with the new fridge and left with the old one to take to the tip.

Or

I used AO.com who will take away the old fridge for a charge, this only works if you want a 230v fridge.

Midland should provide you with a means to get rid of the old one: https://www.gov.uk/electricalwaste-producer-supplier-responsibilities

ETA: I think I took the old one to the council tip recycling centre. They didn’t ask what voltage it was.

Further ETA: https://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/weee-policy

Edited by AndrewIC
  • Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, AndrewIC said:

Midland should provide you with a means to get rid of the old one: https://www.gov.uk/electricalwaste-producer-supplier-responsibilities

ETA: I think I took the old one to the council tip recycling centre. They didn’t ask what voltage it was.

That's good news that MC will take the old fridge but it is not what Midnight found. Confusing 😀. We are not far from the MC store and a phone call to them might be helpful.

Thank you

Haggis

5 minutes ago, haggis said:

That's good news that MC will take the old fridge but it is not what Midnight found. Confusing 😀. We are not far from the MC store and a phone call to them might be helpful.

Thank you

Haggis

How are you planning to be there when the fridge does die, or  are you changing out in case? If it still works someone will take it and give you beer tokens

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

How are you planning to be there when the fridge does die, or  are you changing out in case? If it still works someone will take it and give you beer tokens

The fridge is still alive ! I feel it is time to replace it as the salad box has a bit missing ( not serious) and I feel that the door seals are no longer as effective as they should be. Iain, however, has still to be convinced that the fridge should be replaced - what can you expect from someone who drives. W  reg Defender ? 😀 . I am trying to work out how we could do the change over before I try to convince him . If anyone at the top of the T & M wants a second hand fridge and is willing to collect it towards the end of August, if you let me know that will strengthen my case 😀

Haggis

57 minutes ago, haggis said:

The fridge is still alive ! I feel it is time to replace it as the salad box has a bit missing ( not serious) and I feel that the door seals are no longer as effective as they should be. Iain, however, has still to be convinced that the fridge should be replaced - what can you expect from someone who drives. W  reg Defender ? 😀 . I am trying to work out how we could do the change over before I try to convince him . If anyone at the top of the T & M wants a second hand fridge and is willing to collect it towards the end of August, if you let me know that will strengthen my case 😀

Haggis

Just stick it on Facebook it will go. You can buy seals and a salad draw bits in most cases. I say most because the door seal is not available for my 240 volt LEC but it will do.

1 hour ago, haggis said:

Haggis

You can often rejuvenate fridge seals by coating them with a smear of silicone grease.

Now, why didn't I think of silicone grease? I have plenty as I use it on all the rubber seals on my caravan. Our fridge is a lec too, Brian and i didn't know you could get new door seals. Time for some Googling!

haggis

1 hour ago, haggis said:

That's good news that MC will take the old fridge but it is not what Midnight found. Confusing 😀. We are not far from the MC store and a phone call to them might be helpful. Thank you  Haggis

We bought replacement fridge from MC Penkridge (now permanently closed)  It had a 'free delivery' offer, so smiled sweetly and said that as we were happy to take fridge from shop to boat just above the lock, would they be happy to deliver the old fridge to a recycling site, which after a consultation with management, they agreed to do. 🙂

1 minute ago, PeterScott said:

We bought replacement fridge from MC Penkridge (now permanently closed)  It had a 'free delivery' offer, so smiled sweetly and said that as we were happy to take fridge from shop to boat just above the lock, would they be happy to deliver the old fridge to a recycling site, which after a consultation with management, they agreed to do. 🙂

Nice one, Peter. It would be the Preston Brook MC we would be dealing with - if they will play ball 🙂 . Nice to see photos of Copperkins. happy days!

haggis

3 hours ago, AndrewIC said:

Thank you that is very good information. When I rang MC the lady said categorically they don't take old ones. This gives me something to challenge them with if they say no at the counter. I'll update in a couple of days with the response.

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Mine still works and free to a good home but there's no takers so far 

Edited by Midnight
  • Greenie 1

6 hours ago, midnight cowboy said:

Some local councils have a free associated fridge collection service - mine did.  Got rid of 3.  Outside front door - so that means at the bridge hole I guess if on the cut.  Also, if it is serviceable( ???) try gumtree or freecycle

Get rid of it at Northwich Dry Dock, Leave it in the CRT yard with all the ones they have recovered. I still think a couple of posts on FB and someone will come and take it.

It works, although its light doesn't.

It keeps stuff cool, and doesn't use an excessive amount of electrickery

Must confess I hadn't really noticed a missing bit on the salad drawer. Its wiring is a trifle under sized, and it could probably do with a bit of a clean and polish, but I'd be a bit unpopular doing that while we're cruising, as it would block the corridor while being worked on. (Also, it's usually pretty full) 

Yes they do! New fridge from MC at Braunston they said they would take the old one but as I was unloading it from the boat a fellow boater asked if he could have it as a beer fridge. That's a lot of beer I'm following him for the next few weeks.

• Greenie 1

That's good news on both fronts. MC wil take old fridges and another boater was happy to take your one. Nearer the time I'll see if anyone wants ours either on FB or on here. 

In answer to Iain, I don't see how I wouldn't be happy with you cleaning the outside of the fridge as we cruise as if you are doing that I'll be driving and not too bothered about the corridor being blocked 😀

Haggis