Broke down looking for a Tow up the Ashton flight?

Nick-Now

Featured Posts

Hello,

I am requesting help for my Father who is stuck someone near Manchester. His Engine is unrepairable and he is totally stuck. 

He is asking if there is any good Samaritans near by that could help tow him through the Ashton flight to get to  Portland Basin, where he can have the boat taken out of the water. He is willing to pay for help. He is really stuck now and can't get any help unless the boat is removed from the canal.

His boat is a small 24 foot springer

Please PM me if you are able to help him.

Edited by Nick-Now

Is he a member of RCR (River & Canal rescue)? If so, he should ring them, they promise to get a boat moving again (though there will no doubt b some terms and conditions).

A Water Bug is a quite light boat. Can't he pull it along? If another boater sees him doing so, he may get offered a tow.

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

Is he a member of RCR (River & Canal rescue)? If so, he should ring them, they promise to get a boat moving again (though there will no doubt b some terms and conditions).

A Water Bug is a quite light boat. Can't he pull it along? If another boater sees him doing so, he may get offered a tow.

I did once think about joining RCR just in case we had a big breakdown in a bad place, as a rescue would be good.

When I read the small print I changed my mind, I think it says they will rescue you if you are within two hours of a marina or something like that.

There are no rescue boats stationed around the system ready and waiting to recover broken down boats so I don't know if they would bring in an inflatable or just offer to bow haul, or maybe its just an empty promise. Does anybody here have any experience of an RCR tow??????

................Dave

4 minutes ago, dmr said:

I did once think about joining RCR just in case we had a big breakdown in a bad place, as a rescue would be good.

When I read the small print I changed my mind, I think it says they will rescue you if you are within two hours of a marina or something like that.

There are no rescue boats stationed around the system ready and waiting to recover broken down boats so I don't know if they would bring in an inflatable or just offer to bow haul, or maybe its just an empty promise. Does anybody here have any experience of an RCR tow??????

................Dave

I’ve towed boats (FOC!) after RCR said they wouldn’t do it….or they couldn’t find anyone etc etc. 2 hours would have got the poor lady from the top of Fradley to the bottom…not helpful! I towed her to shobnall for a proper engineer to look at it! 

I don't know how much traffic there is on the Ashton right now, but he could do worse than putting a big notice on the boat, facing Manchester, saying something like "Broken down. Tow to Portland Basin wanted". He should also ask any passing boat for help, as that way the boater will find it harder to say no. At 24ft long it's quite likely he will find someone short enough that they can go into locks together.

I would also suggest he may get a better response from the scruffy boaters than the shiny brigade, so he shouldn't feel shy about asking someone who may not be his 'type'. 

A passing boater won't be able to take any money for towing, but he could be generous with the tea/beer/gin or whatever he has on board.

Edited by David Mack

Where is the boat, is it right at the bottom of the Ashton in Manchester, or part way up?

If its the bottom then its not too far to New Islington Marina and there are, or used to be, a few strong and sociable boaters there who might help. Not sure how supportive the new management would be.

Another option is to phone CRT and see if they can supply a couple of volunteer lockies to do a bit of bow hauling.

............Dave

2 minutes ago, dmr said:

Where is the boat, is it right at the bottom of the Ashton in Manchester, or part way up?

If its the bottom then its not too far to New Islington Marina and there are, or used to be, a few strong and sociable boaters there who might help. Not sure how supportive the new management would be.

Another option is to phone CRT and see if they can supply a couple of volunteer lockies to do a bit of bow hauling.

............Dave

Or maybe the WCBS folk at Guide Bridge if he is near the top of the locks.

13 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

I cycled down the Ashton flight into Manchester city centre one afternoon last week. I only passed one moving boat with an accompanying volunteer. I was suprised how quiet the canal was.

The Rochdale 9 only reopened 15th July (Lock 85, bracket issue) so I expect it may get busier soon, hopefully very soon. 

3 hours ago, dmr said:

.Does anybody here have any experience of an RCR tow??????

................Dave

I have a friend who picked up a log that split a seam to the fuel tank. RCR fixed an outboard to the rudder (45ft Narrowboat) to take it to a boatyard some 14 miles away.