Limehouse basin

Jporter

Featured Posts

Yes but you don’t know till you get there! As you’re probably aware, CC spaces are in great shortage all over London. If you do find a space it’ll probably be double or even treble banked.

there may be the odd space in st Pancras, wenlock, kingsland or other basins and marinas as permanent tenants go off cruising. But these are snapped up in no time.

I think there are 24??hr spaces in Goods way kings cross, which may be chargeable, there certainly are in Paddington but priceeee!

So there’s a start!

27 minutes ago, droshky said:

Yes but you don’t know till you get there! As you’re probably aware, CC spaces are in great shortage all over London. If you do find a space it’ll probably be double or even treble banked.

there may be the odd space in st Pancras, wenlock, kingsland or other basins and marinas as permanent tenants go off cruising. But these are snapped up in no time.

I think there are 24??hr spaces in Goods way kings cross, which may be chargeable, there certainly are in Paddington but priceeee!

So there’s a start!

This is very odd information!

Wenlock and Kingsland basins are private residential moorings, moorings can occasionally be arranged at St Pancras for members of AWCC affiliated boat clubs; they are certainly not ‘snapped up’

There are no 24 hour moorings at Goods Way. There are bookable moorings at Little Venice, Paddington Basin, Islington and at the London Canal Museum, they are not ‘pricey’

How can a space be ‘triple banked’ ?

1 hour ago, droshky said:

So there’s a start!

I cc around the south, from Northampton to the top end of the Lee, currently in London. There's plenty of spaces as long as you don't have some ridiculous 14' x 60' fat boat and don't want to be within a couple of miles of central London. I've never seen any boats triple moored, apart from when a fat boat doubles up with a narrowboat.

As mentioned above, you can moor for 24hrs on the wall if you're waiting to go through the lock. If you need longer, go east up Limehouse Cut from the basin. On the right there's lots of space, about 10 minutes walk from the basin where the usual 2 week limit applies.

Little Venice bookable moorings are reasonably priced and so far I've never seen them all full up. St Pancras is always full, don't bother looking there.

edit: if you're coming from the Thames...what's your draught? The Paddington Arm has been pretty low for a few months now, if you're deeper than a narrowboat I'd avoid it. Lots and lots of weed too.

Edited by cheesegas
  • Greenie 1

20 minutes ago, cheesegas said:

I cc around the south, from Northampton to the top end of the Lee, currently in London. There's plenty of spaces as long as you don't have some ridiculous 14' x 60' fat boat and don't want to be within a couple of miles of central London. I've never seen any boats triple moored, apart from when a fat boat doubles up with a narrowboat.

As mentioned above, you can moor for 24hrs on the wall if you're waiting to go through the lock. If you need longer, go east up Limehouse Cut from the basin. On the right there's lots of space, about 10 minutes walk from the basin where the usual 2 week limit applies.

Little Venice bookable moorings are reasonably priced and so far I've never seen them all full up. St Pancras is always full, don't bother looking there.

edit: if you're coming from the Thames...what's your draught? The Paddington Arm has been pretty low for a few months now, if you're deeper than a narrowboat I'd avoid it. Lots and lots of weed too.

Draught 0.5m so don’t think there is any problem. 

Thanks everyone for the really useful information.

26 minutes ago, cheesegas said:

Does the lock open regularly.

Is the wall inside or out?

Can I get into the basin before dropping my mast? 

24 minutes ago, Jporter said:

Does the lock open regularly.

Is the wall inside or out?

Can I get into the basin before dropping my mast? 

The wall is inside the basin, there is a floating landing stage on the river side lock entrance for boats waiting to us the lock.

Lock is opened on request, from the CRT Web Site:

Limehouse Lock is not available for around two hours either side of low water at London Bridge.

In the summer (1 April to 30 September): the lock is open between 8am to 6pm. It's also possible to use the lock from 5am and to 10pm if it is booked 24 hours in advance.

In the winter (1 October to 31 March): the lock is open between 8am to 4pm. It's also possible to use the lock from 5am and to 10pm if it is booked 24 hours in advance.

To book the lock, you need to call Aquavista, formerly known as BWML in advance on 020 7308 9930.

There is a swing bridge below the lock, on the River Side, which can be swung to allow yachts in with masts up, 

51 minutes ago, cheesegas said:

Good advise but would note that if you are AWCC affiliated and not too long the St Pancras Cruising Club harbourmaster will do his utmost to fit you in as a visitor

Edited by Tim Lewis

1 hour ago, Tim Lewis said:

Good advise but would note that if you are AWCC affiliated and not too long the St Pancras Cruising Club harbourmaster will do his utmost to fit you in as a visitor

Thank you for the suggestion. My sailing club is affiliated to the RYA. I think It’s a bit unusual to bring a gaff rigged sailing vessel onto canals. having said this I think the RYA and AWCC work together so it’s worth an ask. Thank you.

4 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

There are 24 hour visitor moorings on ‘The Wall’ on the east side of the basin, it is unusual not to get an overnight mooring there especially if prepared to breast up

2 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

The wall is inside the basin, there is a floating landing stage on the river side lock entrance for boats waiting to us the lock.

If you are entering from the Thames the 'Wall' is on the right hand side just after you leave the lock, above the words 'Cruising Association' on the image below. River Thames at the bottom, swing bridge and Limehouse Lock bottom left. The pontoon moorings on the left are part of the marina.20210719_163052.jpg.72fc33f3063956a69fe3938718e4501e.jpg

Edited by David Mack

2 hours ago, Jporter said:

I’m in Greenwich and have not booked the lock for Limehouse. Can I just turn up?

You can, but I would advise a phone call to make sure there will be someone there.

The lock is useable from roughly HW-4 to HW+4, depending on the draft of your boat. They don't want boats grounding on the cill on the way into the lock. 

Note that despite the large sign on the bridge, VHF (Ch 80) is not always monitored ....

4 hours ago, Jporter said:

I’m in Greenwich and have not booked the lock for Limehouse. Can I just turn up?

Given your current location, you will make friends with the Limehouse lockkeeper by planning to enter the lock on the top of the tide. Better for you too, as you won't be knocked around when the lock is filled (it doesn't have traditional sluices - they just crack the gates open a bit to fill it). I always call in advance to give my ETA, and give as much notice as I can. 07766 774726 (not sure if this one is still current) or 0207 308 9930 (you may need to leave an answerphone message). 

ETA Entering in slack water will also make the turn into the lock quite easy. The usual route in from upstream is to turn below the lock and approach it against the falling tide. You then suddenly hit slack water in the entrance and, if you're unlucky, a rather large concrete wall. I have managed not to hit it ... yet. 

Edited by Mike on the Wey
More info

Having been into Limehouse now I can provide an update.

it is necessary to book with Aquavista to operate the lock.

The mobile number above is for the duty lock-keeper but may only be answered during the hours where there are bookings to enter the lock. 

it is necessary to book for entry.