Serviced winter mooring: how do I get one?

QuaintJames

Featured Posts

I'm a continuous cruiser, doing 100% remote work from my boat - my partner also works from the boat. At the moment, our two solar panels are giving us plenty of electricity to run a couple of laptops for several hours a day, but during the winter that's obviously not going to be the case. The idea of running a generator for long periods is unappealing - noise, expense, fossil fuel - it's going to be an unhappy winter if that's our only option.

So what we're looking for is a winter mooring with a power hookup. My understanding is that the CRT moorings are all unserviced, so they're out. It looks like marinas are our only option for serviced moorings, however the couple that I've contacted have come back with a generic message along the lines of: "Our moorings are fully occupied - you're welcome to join the waiting list".

My question is: are serviced winter moorings at marinas truly a thing? They exist, right? In order to get them, is it usually possible to book in advance, or do you have to do what the generic message suggests, and join a waiting list, then hope that someone vacates a spot at some time in or around November (which doesn't seem like something anyone's likely to do)?

---

For information, we're looking at an area vaguely between Birmingham, Lichfield, Nottingham and Leicester, but could go further afield. Starting point will be Blisworth and we're not looking to go south.

Thanks!

Loads of marinas and private moorings do winter moorings for nov to march inclusive. Many have all services and some have non. Have you telephoned or visited any in person? marinas like to know who they are dealing with. I did a winter as recent as 4 years ago at Barton Turns who were very helpful with all facilities including post. We do a small amount here but we are a bit picky as to boat size and dont allow children so you need to get on the fone and something will come up. There are plenty out there. Booh now as the later you leave it the less chance you will have as many will already be booked this late on 👍

• Greenie 1

There is loads but most want to know who there are dealing with ,so it’s best to call in and ask .Make sure boat is tidy and that ,otherwise it be join the list that never moves. 

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, QuaintJames said:

Sadly we don't have much time to do that. We're not going to be able to get to a place beforehand unless it's close to Blisworth. Knowing where we're going to moor is also going to influence which canal we end up on.

"Your starter for 10."

Blisworth Marina - At the heart of the canals, with your boat at heart

• Greenie 1

The only 3 CRT moorings that I can think of that are serviced are Eastwood Lock, Newark and Barney and none of those have all 3 services without moving your boat or carting your  cassette away. There is also Clarence Dock if they allow winter moorings.

We've spent time in Kings Marina in Newark and Wigrams Turn as a winter mooring but there are many others.

You could try lateral thinking and take a CRT/Waterside Moorings for a year,  just remember to give proper notice when you want to leave.

Edited by pearley
Edited to add you can have winter mooring in Salthouse Dock, Liverpool but will cost you to empty your toilet.
  • Greenie 1

16 hours ago, QuaintJames said:

I'm a continuous cruiser, doing 100% remote work from my boat - my partner also works from the boat. At the moment, our two solar panels are giving us plenty of electricity to run a couple of laptops for several hours a day, but during the winter that's obviously not going to be the case. The idea of running a generator for long periods is unappealing - noise, expense, fossil fuel - it's going to be an unhappy winter if that's our only option.

So what we're looking for is a winter mooring with a power hookup. My understanding is that the CRT moorings are all unserviced, so they're out. It looks like marinas are our only option for serviced moorings, however the couple that I've contacted have come back with a generic message along the lines of: "Our moorings are fully occupied - you're welcome to join the waiting list".

My question is: are serviced winter moorings at marinas truly a thing? They exist, right? In order to get them, is it usually possible to book in advance, or do you have to do what the generic message suggests, and join a waiting list, then hope that someone vacates a spot at some time in or around November (which doesn't seem like something anyone's likely to do)?

---

For information, we're looking at an area vaguely between Birmingham, Lichfield, Nottingham and Leicester, but could go further afield. Starting point will be Blisworth and we're not looking to go south.

Thanks!

I would try Alvecote, give them a ring and ask for Lawrence.

• Greenie 1

Our marina has 10% empty berths in summer and then come October 1st they are taken by CCers. This year the marina is full and there is a waiting list. I think some people who were bankside have taken the opportunity to sell while the market is buoyant and the new owners expect to park in a marina.

I'm not totally happy about it because there's a lot of refitting going on involving powertools

I am on thames all year round don’t come here the EA are rubbish ,everything is locked of ,no eslan ,pump outs not working or turned off and they wonder why rubbish ends up in river .l pay for my licence but this year no facilities at all .No diesel above Abingdon and now there is no cut it’s 135 a litre .They employ district enforcement for there moorings ,some cowboy bully boy car park firm, that even the courts slag off ,you moor these cowboys take stuff of your boat in loo of payment if you don’t pay quick enough . Mooring or no mooring your better of on canals .EA run the Thames for the rich marinas and the rich boaters not for narrowboats who anit welcome .

It means once you pass Abingdon on thames you can’t get diesel .Oxford cruises got none and farms are taking first delivers and Abingdon bridge marina anit doing any cuts ,you want it you pay he’s price or go away ,it’s not salters anymore it’s AV hire boats.l no l stuck here at eynsham lock with no diesel after trying all boat hire company’s and marinas ,if you no of anywhere up this end let me no , it got to be on river thames l 69 but anit got transport apart from boat with thames licence .

23 minutes ago, JKS said:

It means once you pass Abingdon on thames you can’t get diesel .Oxford cruises got none and farms are taking first delivers and Abingdon bridge marina anit doing any cuts ,you want it you pay he’s price or go away ,it’s not salters anymore it’s AV hire boats.l no l stuck here at eynsham lock with no diesel after trying all boat hire company’s and marinas ,if you no of anywhere up this end let me no , it got to be on river thames l 69 but anit got transport apart from boat with thames licence .

My question was really what  anit doing any cuts means ?

Do you mean they are not offering tax rebated declarations for domestic usage ?

Diesel has always been 'pay my price or don't get any', pretty much the same as at any 'normal' petrol station. If you need it you pay it, and as Diesel is phased out its going to continue increasing in price. Think about me filling my tanks - takes 2800 litres.

I don't know if this list is up-to-date or not.

Screenshot (498).png

Edited by Alan de Enfield

That list is well out of date.Red diesel is 58 pence a litre , better boating at Reading is 88 pence at moment .Most of them on your list are white diesel or not there any more .2800 litres ,crown diesel deliver to your boat and that amount is 84 pence a litre for 2000 litre .l phoned them yesterday but l only have a 150 litre tank .The other diesel suppliers do minimum 500 litres but l can’t carry that much  legally.No probs l am going to try a local farmer ,farmers weekly Puts average price each week and this week it’s 58 pence a litre for 5000 delivered .The only supplier up this end of river left on your list is oxford cruisers and they are 100 pence a litre but they have run out and he’s supplier can’t do delivery cause farmers come first and they short of drivers at moment maybe next week he told .

30 minutes ago, JKS said:

No probs l am going to try a local farmer ,farmers weekly Puts average price each week and this week it’s 58 pence a litre

I'm sure you realise that the price for the Agricultural diesel is :

1) The agricultural rebated price, is not the 'boaters price including duty'.

2) Excludes VAT.

Add the two figures in and you'll be at the £1 per litre.

I'll leave you to your rant.

Good luck.

3 hours ago, JKS said:

I am on thames all year round don’t come here the EA are rubbish ,everything is locked of ,no eslan ,pump outs not working or turned off and they wonder why rubbish ends up in river .l pay for my licence but this year no facilities at all .No diesel above Abingdon and now there is no cut it’s 135 a litre .They employ district enforcement for there moorings ,some cowboy bully boy car park firm, that even the courts slag off ,you moor these cowboys take stuff of your boat in loo of payment if you don’t pay quick enough . Mooring or no mooring your better of on canals .EA run the Thames for the rich marinas and the rich boaters not for narrowboats who anit welcome .

The EA dont sell diesel just like CRT don't, its a private  enterprise. just like blaming the DVLC for the price of diesel on motorways

Don’t want money spike just diesel at fair price .Anit blaming EA for diesel blaming them for no facilities which they have on there site being closed , ie showers ,pump outs etc,not all but most .Yet they still take full licence money .l pay for something l want it ,not half of it .Surely you don’t pay for things you don’t get with crt .

4 minutes ago, JKS said:

Don’t want money spike just diesel at fair price .Anit blaming EA for diesel blaming them for no facilities which they have on there site being closed , ie showers ,pump outs etc,not all but most .Yet they still take full licence money .l pay for something l want it ,not half of it .Surely you don’t pay for things you don’t get with crt .

The C&RT  boat licence fee does NOT include elsans, showers, loos etc. It only gives you permission to have a boat on their water.

haggis

1 minute ago, JKS said:

Surely you don’t pay for things you don’t get with crt .

Pay for a licence to allow us to navigate, which unfortunately is becoming less and less possible as the system (infrastructure) breaks down with ever increasing regularity.

C&RTs answer is the licence is simply to allow you to 'float on their waters', not to be able to go anywhere, or have any mooring rights.

C&RT also have absolutely no legal obligation to provide water taps, toilet emptying facilities, waste bins, anywhere to moor etc etc. They do it as a 'benefit' to boaters.

C&RT are legally allowed to charge for any facilities (above navigation) that they do offer - but they rarely do so.

If you think the EA is unreasonable come and have a year on C&RT waters.