Stateing the bleeding obvious

tree monkey

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Curiously there is a chap sitting in the shade of an Oak tree nearby who seems to be wearing some sort of Halloween costume, a very good one as it happens, all horns and cloven feet swearing very loudly about the heat, must be some sort of party I suppose 

I understand he had to leave his home because it had frozen over... 😂😈

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, cuthound said:

But has it, and if so why ?

The following is an actual question given on a University of Washington chemistry mid-term.

The answer by one student was so "profound" that the professor shared it with colleagues, via the Internet, which is, of course, why we now have the pleasure of enjoying it as well:

Bonus Question: Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)?

Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law (gas cools when it expands and heats when it is compressed) or some variant.

One student, however, wrote the following:

First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So we need to know the rate at which souls are moving into Hell and the rate at which they are leaving. I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving. As for how many souls are entering Hell, let's look at the different religions that exist in the world today. Most of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell. Since there is more than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all souls go to Hell. With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially. Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell because Boyle's Law states that in order, for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has to expand proportionately as souls are added.
This gives two possibilities:

1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose.

2. If Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in
Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over.

So which is it?

If we accept the postulate given to me by Teresa during my freshman year that, "It will be a cold day in Hell before I sleep with you," and take into account the fact that I slept with her last night, then number two must be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic and has already frozen over. The corollary of this theory is that since Hell has frozen over, it follows that it is not accepting any more souls and is therefore is extinct......leaving only Heaven, thereby proving the existence of a divine being which explains why, last night, Teresa kept shouting "Oh my God."

THIS STUDENT RECEIVED THE ONLY "A

4 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Well he's a very silly billy 

4 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

Hi, I'm new to this boating lark.  I'd like to get aircon on my boat before I take it to London.  Can you tell me how I connect it to my Webasto and calorifier please?

Paint it white, don't bother with the air con

4 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

Hi, I'm new to this boating lark.  I'd like to get aircon on my boat before I take it to London.  Can you tell me how I connect it to my Webasto and calorifier please?

You dont need all that, just paint your roof black and stick a couple of ecofans on top, you will soon need a jumper on inside.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Well he's a very silly billy 

Paint it white, don't bother with the air con

I'm not sure that painting the Webasto white will result in it automatically connecting itself to the cauliflower... 😂🤣

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

this is one of the few days of the year when having an 1890’s house with 13ft high ceilings really pays off :D 

Its a cool 23.9 degrees in the hallway, just don’t sit near a window 😅

It's lovely in my basement office. About 19° and a pleasant draught from the open back door.

32 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Ours uses 4.2 amps when cooling. 3.7 when used as a heater.

You can get units that you can install under benches with ducting to push the cooled air around and thus you dont have the 'ugly' dome on the roof which look better on a caravan or motorhome than they would on a boat.

PXL_20210617_182037508~2.jpg

He's got his installed in a pigeon box on the roof so that looks fine. It's the box at the bow that looks so appalling. One of these type units. Looks like a Hong Kong apartment from the front.

image.png.0d7244cdba573fd62444fea7b2394ec2.png

33 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

what kind of AC you got and how much does it cost(including installation) just to have a rough idea.. 

We would fit a 2.5kw wall unit which will do most bedrooms ,if we can fit unit to outside wall normally looking at £1200 plus vat comes with wifi so control unit from phone ...as for running cost 50p per night but how much is a good night sleep worth ?

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, The Happy Nomad said:

A 'not bad' 19 degrees up here in Northumberland. With a nice breeze driving the turbines.

Screenshot_20210718-160720_Photos.jpg

No No. Completely wrong. On hot days they are powered by the excess electricity from solar PV farms to create the  pleasant breeze you are enjoying. 😀

That is why it is called a wind farm.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

25 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I assume these things on amazon and ebay are crap?

Screenshot_2021-07-18-17-32-32-038_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg

Yup. I've got one; not one of them, but still an evaporative cooler. It's got a roller towel arrangement that runs through a reservoir of cold water and then blows air through the wet cloth which is supposed to cool it down. It doesn't. Fan's ok. Waste of money, going to get a proper portable aircon unit - we live in a dormer bungalow, bedroom right under the tiles. At least the boat cools down quick.

3 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

this is one of the few days of the year when having an 1890’s house with 13ft high ceilings really pays off :D 

Its a cool 23.9 degrees in the hallway, just don’t sit near a window 😅

One of the disadvantages of a new build with every room having a south facing window.

It's 30 degrees in the hallway and 33 degrees in our bedroom! 

We are escaping the heat on the patio now the sun has finally gone round the corner of the house. Sunday lunch is slow cooking on the bbq.

• Greenie 1

One of the best things we ever bought for our 'van is the roof mounted air con. It comes into its own when the temp goes over 30c like it did here yesterday, and especially when in France and it goes over 40c.

(Somebody will be along shortly to point out using air con is bad for the planet......)

No, its ok if you open all the doors and windows to let the cool air out........it'll cool the planet......

One of the best things we ever bought for our 'van is the roof mounted air con. It comes into its own when the temp goes over 30c like it did here yesterday, and especially when in France and it goes over 40c.

(Somebody will be along shortly to point out using air con is bad for the planet......)

We could do with air con at home as well as on the van.

Current temperature on the van with roof hatches, windows and doors open on the driveway which is on the north side of the house in the shade!

Screenshot_20210718-182431_Truma.jpg.fd246ff5cb4e4b9c2702b4d64b537d2c.jpg

Edited by Naughty Cal

20 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

One of the disadvantages of a new build with every room having a south facing window.

It's 30 degrees in the hallway and 33 degrees in our bedroom! 

We are escaping the heat on the patio now the sun has finally gone round the corner of the house. Sunday lunch is slow cooking on the bbq.

As Huddslad said above, there is an advantage of an old house with high ceilings.

Our bedroom is north facing and well insulated. It'll be fine tonight (although I might kick the duvet off).

PS: Basement temperature up to 20.5° now. Still very pleasant. 

3 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

We could do with air con at home as well as on the van.

Current temperature on the van with roof hatches, windows and doors open on the driveway which is on the north side of the house in the shade!

Ours is an older truma aventa, fitted new to the caravan we bought in 2015 and swapped to the current one we bought in 2018, it is quite noisy inside but very effective in keeping the inside cool.

It also has a 'no air con' fan only mode with three speeds. And a night mode which is supposed to be quieter but I think this is debatable.

They do a newer version the 'compact' which they claim is a lot quieter but Ive never heard one running.

Dometic do them too, including one that retains a skylight in its centre. Most replace the roof skylight meaning you lose a source of daylight.

7 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Ours is an older truma aventa, fitted new to the caravan we bought in 2015 and swapped to the current one we bought in 2018, it is quite noisy inside but very effective in keeping the inside cool.

It also has a 'no air con' fan only mode with three speeds. And a night mode which is supposed to be quieter but I think this is debatable.

They do a newer version the 'compact' which they claim is a lot quieter but Ive never heard one running.

Dometic do them too, including one that retains a skylight in its centre. Most replace the roof skylight meaning you lose a source of daylight.

Best we have is a dometic fan in one of the roof hatches which can run both ways to either such air in or extract it out.

Think tomorrow I will set it running for an hour to cool it down. Didn't even think to do that today 🤔

1 hour ago, jaime66 said:

We would fit a 2.5kw wall unit which will do most bedrooms ,if we can fit unit to outside wall normally looking at £1200 plus vat comes with wifi so control unit from phone ...as for running cost 50p per night but how much is a good night sleep worth ?

That's interesting. We have been considering getting air con fitted at home since we moved here. As its unlikely summers will be getting any cooler any time soon it's good to know the costs are not so prohibitive. 

So long as the unit can be fitted high enough that the van fits under it on the drive it might be an option sooner than we thought.