Electrics.

Antony Perry

Featured Posts

Just now, Antony Perry said:

Hi I am new to electrics on boat and some simple advice please.when cruising do I change from shoreline to generator,and do I turn invertor off when not needed thanks moe

Not enough info.

Is this generator or a proper inbuilt marine job or a portable. If the latter, you use neither shoreline or generator while cruising. If the former, then I would expect it to have some form of change over switch or relay.

Most boats have their charging system using engine power and an alternator or alternators.

Yes, electricity on boats is in very short supply, so always turn everything off when it's not needed. It's not like a house with a mains connection when out cruising. Most new boaters wreck their first set of batteries within weeks because they do not appreciate just how much time is needed for proper recharging

3 minutes ago, Antony Perry said:

Hi I am new to electrics on boat and some simple advice please.when cruising do I change from shoreline to generator,and do I turn invertor off when not needed thanks moe

Yes you need to detach the shoreline when cruising (unless only going a very short distance)

Why do you need to run a generator when you are cruising (the alternator on the engine will keep things running)

If you have 230v appliances (eg Fridge) running then you should not rurn off the inverter

You should not have the inverter, genrator and landline all connected at the same time. Only one source of 230v at a time. Anything else is unsafe.

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You should not have the inverter, genrator and landline all connected at the same time. Only one source of 230v at a time. Anything else is unsafe.

Misleading!

Some systems have auto selection between supplies.  For example a combi inverter charger so it can be perfectly safe to have multiple sources  connected and in fact is a desirable thing to do.

On my previous boat when the generator was started the shore power automatically switched off, it was still connected. 😎

16 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Misleading!

Some systems have auto selection between supplies.  For example a combi inverter charger so it can be perfectly safe to have multiple sources  connected and in fact is a desirable thing to do.

On my previous boat when the generator was started the shore power automatically switched off, it was still connected. 😎

Yes I know, but for someone with the knowledge levels of the OP, I consider it safest to quote the safest assumptions. If he replies saying (for example) he has a Victron combi, then the advice can be revised.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Just now, Loddon said:

Misleading!

Whilst I agree with you and It's why I mentioned relays, I fear the OP has virtually no understanding about what he has, how it operates and  how he needs to operate it, so in this scenario I feel Alan's caution is warranted and needs heeding pending more information becoming available.