yanmar engine questions

Featured Posts

My Father has a 24 foot springer water bug. He is currently stranded in Manchester on the Ashton canal  by the locks. (not a particularly safe place I would image?)

His engine is a 2 cylinder Thornycroft and has blown and un-repairable.

I have been trying to help source a new engine but I am told that the Thornycroft 2 cylinder is impossible to find now and the 3 cylinders are too big for his boat.

I was told that a Yanmar 2 cylinder will fit. I have manged to find one with a gear box.

Can anyone confirm that the Yanmar will fit?

Is a Thornycroft 3 cylinder definitely too big?

Recommendations on a willing and able engineer to help him?

Just to get back to 'civilisation' can RCR not help / tow, or can he get a tow from another boater to get him somewhere a bit safer , maybe to a boat yard where he can leave the boat, or, get the boat repaired ?

(I don't know the current status, are the canals closed in that area ?)

51 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Just to get back to 'civilisation' can RCR not help / tow, or can he get a tow from another boater to get him somewhere a bit safer , maybe to a boat yard where he can leave the boat, or, get the boat repaired ?

(I don't know the current status, are the canals closed in that area ?)

Nearest boatyard I can think off is Portland Basin marina, but iirc Guy has Droyslden marina too, a few miles closer to Manchester. They should be able to help with local engineer types. Don't appear to be any closures on the Ashton at the moment. Was he planning on going up the locks or just come down? If the former, it may even be worth a few of you spending an early start bowhauling a 24' boat up and through the locks (~6 miles and 18 locks on the Ashton to the basin, but shouldn't be many boats moored on the towpath to negotiate and we've got some good weather this week. Hard day, but not an impossibility if quick swap/tow etc aren't possible. Getting someone to put in any new engine could take a bit of time to sort, if he just wants to get out of Manchester asap.

Edited by BilgePump

56 minutes ago, Nick-Now said:

My Father has a 24 foot springer water bug. He is currently stranded in Manchester on the Ashton canal  by the locks. (not a particularly safe place I would image?)

His engine is a 2 cylinder Thornycroft and has blown and un-repairable.

I have been trying to help source a new engine but I am told that the Thornycroft 2 cylinder is impossible to find now and the 3 cylinders are too big for his boat.

I was told that a Yanmar 2 cylinder will fit. I have manged to find one with a gear box.

Can anyone confirm that the Yanmar will fit?

Is a Thornycroft 3 cylinder definitely too big?

Recommendations on a willing and able engineer to help him?

Don't you just love such descriptive posts. Unless it's thrown a conrod through the block I have no idea what "blown" actually means, it could be a host of faults ranging from "I don't know this engine and don't want to get involved so I will yell you it's blown" to a simple air lock causing fast overheating.

While far from ideal, maybe an outboard would get him mobile, providing he appreciates the risks and limitations of petrol.

Edited by Tony Brooks

5 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

Nearest boatyard I can think off is Portland Basin marina, but iirc Guy has Droyslden marina too, a few miles closer to Manchester. They should be able to help with local engineer types. Don't appear to be any closures on the Ashton at the moment. Was he planning on going up the locks or just come down? If the former, it may even be worth a few of you spending an early start bowhauling a 26' boat up and through the locks (~6 miles and 18 locks on the Ashton to the basin, but shouldn't be many boats moored on the towpath to negotiate and we've got some good weather this week. Hard day, but not an impossibility if quick swap/tow etc aren't possible. Getting someone to put in any new engine could take a bit of time to sort, if he just wants to get out of Manchester asap.

Thinking a bit more - I've even seen people hanging an outboard off the back to enable them to move 'somewhere safer' be it a new area or a boat yard.

If he can borrow one, attach a plank across the stern to act as a transom and engine mount and you'd easily manage 6 miles and 18 locks in under a day.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

blown and urepairable as in shattered, bits of crank casing smashed.. hope this is descriptive enough. I did state that he is looking for a new engine, hence the original post.

6 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Don't you just love such descriptive posts. Unless it's thrown a conrod through the block I have no idea what "blown" actually means, it could be a host of faults ranging from "I don't know this engine and don't want to get involved so I will yell you it's blown" to a simple air lock causing fast overheating.

blown as in shattered, bits of crank casing smashed.. hope this is descriptive enough. I did state that he is looking for a new engine, hence the original post.

Edited by Nick-Now

Thanks, so it did throw a rod. You would probably be surprised how often people come on with a post like your original and it turns out to be something that is less serious.

The problem with any replacement engine will be getting the shaft lined up, you may or may not be lucky with that, but having never done it on a Waterbug I don't know about the levels and dimensions. Prepare for needing the beds cut about and welded, so if it does not need doing, it will be a bonus.

Grenaded then, needs a new one for sure.

If its a Thornycroft, chances are its Mitsubishi and there are still Mitzy engines made.

https://www.det-mitsubishi.com/en/mitsubishi-diesel-engines/mitsubishi-l-series-4-17-kw/mitsubishi-l2e

Edited by Tracy D'arth

8 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Grenaded then, needs a new one for sure.

If its a Thornycroft, chances are its Mitsubishi and there are still Mitzy engines made.

sorry, meant to say thank you

Edited by Nick-Now

Swapping like for like, i.e. Mitsubishi for another one could be a days work and you would not need a gearbox, just swap everything over. replacing with a different brand could be a weeks work and need mains electric to cut and weld bearers and things plus hard to get bits like wiring stuff, plumbing stuff and exhaust stuff. Definitely try for the same base engine.

If you can post the Thornycroft model number, or photos of the existing engine, then someone may be able to identify the base engine. Even though the model may well be out of production it is very likely that an identical base engine can be found, and the gearbox and other auxiliary components can be transferred across.

But whatever solution you eventually find, I agree with others that your first priority is to move the boat to a safer place where it can be left. And that means a tow, bow hauling, or a temporary outboard attachment.  Personally I would go for the bow hauling, especially if you can mobilise a couple of helpers, as it will be the quickest option.

• Greenie 2

There's a local engineer known as Giddy, Portland basin will have his number. I have never met him but his reputation suggests he is almost a local legend. He may well be able to supply and fit a suitable engine.

............Dave

8 hours ago, dmr said:

There's a local engineer known as Giddy, Portland basin will have his number. I have never met him but his reputation suggests he is almost a local legend. He may well be able to supply and fit a suitable engine.

............Dave

Good call. He has a Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/GID-Marine-Services-1502094416774594 but it hasn't been updated for a few years. Phone number on there is the same as one I've just found on a business card from him. The FB page does mention engine removal and fitting on water with picture of lifting gantry over boat. About five years ago he did some work on the rudder stock of the boat family had at the time when we were drydocked in Portland basin.  Very happy with the job and very reasonable rates. Knew other people who had had other work done around the same time and were similarly pleased.

22 hours ago, dmr said:

............Dave

He called him first off, but he's busy moving a dutch barge 

I doubt you will find anyone who is vailable to 'drop everything' and come and do the work.
Everyone is busy and has a 'waiting list' following all the movement restictions and backlog of work in the last 18 months.

This was why it was suggested that you either get an OB engine or a couple of mates and 'walk it' the 6 miles to a safe haven, where ,it can be left until you can find someone who can fit it in.

On 18/07/2021 at 13:28, David Mack said:

If you can post the Thornycroft model number, or photos of the existing engine, then someone may be able to identify the base engine. Even though the model may well be out of production it is very likely that an identical base engine can be found, and the gearbox and other auxiliary components can be transferred across.

But whatever solution you eventually find, I agree with others that your first priority is to move the boat to a safer place where it can be left. And that means a tow, bow hauling, or a temporary outboard attachment.  Personally I would go for the bow hauling, especially if you can mobilise a couple of helpers, as it will be the quickest option.

bowman.jpg