Passage planning

Jporter

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, Jporter said:

Is there a tool that can be used to estimate the time to travel from one point to another on the canal / river network?

Canal plan ac is a very good journey planner. Google will find it.

You can use its defaults, which are not far out for us, or adjust your speed etc to allow for things like having a mega crew.

N

• 3 months later...
On 17/07/2021 at 19:10, Tony Brooks said:

Between 3 and 4 lock miles per hour, but Canalplan AC will do it for you and you can alter the assumptions.

Does it allow for factors such as beam, draft / air draft?

6 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

No. You have to know your boat limits and the canal.

Thats a shame....I did find one site where you could select the canal and it told you the minimum depth, width and heights on the canal. Didn't play around with it much yet though. Combining that with a "route planner" would be handy. I'm currently boat shopping for first boat so very much reading everything i can find on this stuff 🙂 

18 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

No. You have to know your boat limits and the canal.

Actually, under the planning tab you can set the following using imperial or metric:

Boat length (feet😞  
Boat width (feet😞  
Boat height (feet😞  

Boat draught (feet😞

(Ignore the strange smileys, nowt to do with me, they just appeared when I copied the above from the web page, and editing them out does not work on my iPad).  

Edited by gbclive
  • Greenie 1

1 minute ago, gbclive said:

Actually, under the planning tab you can set the following using imperial or metric:

Boat length (feet😞  
Boat width (feet😞  
Boat height (feet😞  

Boat draught (feet😞

(Ignore the strange bug thing😏)

Thats great then, I did a quick route plan on the canalplan AC site when looking at a boat out near Bath....as i need it to be in london....but obviously didn't look hard enough for settings like that. Cheers for that.

5 minutes ago, gbclive said:

Boat length (feet😞  
Boat width (feet😞  
Boat height (feet😞  

Boat draught (feet😞

(Ignore the strange bug thing😏)

Never done that! I missed that option. Does it work?

11 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Yes - it will come up and say 'route not possible' if your settings do not fit the canal (assuming the canal dimensions are both listed and correct - and we know air-draft is regularly not known) You can also set tidal waters yes / no and all sorts of other things.

2 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Yes, but not faultlessly, as it is reliant on the data sources used for the program. For example it told me that I couldn't take a 70 ft boat from the Rochdale Canal to Salterhebble, despite the fact I had already done it in two different full length narrow boats. Turned out that as this section is part of the Calder and Hebble the maximum boat length was set to 57 ft, even though there are no locks on this section. I think that particular glitch has been fixed, but there may be others.

Edited by David Mack

14 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Yes, but not faultlessly, as it is reliant on the data sources used for the program. For example it told me that I couldn't take a 70 ft boat from the Rochdale Canal to Salterhebble, despite the fact I had already done it in two different full length narrow boats. Turned out that as this section is part of the Calder and Hebble the maximum boat length was set to 57 ft, even though there are no locks on this section. I think that particular glitch has been fixed, but there may be others.

There is still a lot of information missing.

https://canalplan.org.uk/cgi-bin/showstuff.cgi?mode=helpus

Shows just how patchy the data is....

19 minutes ago, David Mack said:

That is why I asked if it works. Does it allow wide beams on the North Oxford for example?

10 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

That is why I asked if it works. Does it allow wide beams on the North Oxford for example?

firefox_hfKg4XtXkP.png

But of course if you don't tell Canalplan you are 14 feet wide....

Edited by StephenA
  • Love 1