High pitch whine from gas fridge

blackrose

Featured Posts

I've got a very quiet high pitch sound coming from my Dometic gas fridge. It only makes this noise when running on gas, not mains. I thought I was developing tinitus at first until I switched it to electric and it stopped. Back on gas now and the high pitched noise is back.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing it?

1 minute ago, blackrose said:

I've got a very quiet high pitch sound coming from my Dometic gas fridge. It only makes this noise when running on gas, not mains. I thought I was developing tinitus at first until I switched it to electric and it stopped. Back on gas now and the high pitched noise is back.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing it?

The fridge?

Edited by nicknorman
  • Greenie 1

Bottle regulators whistle / whine sometimes, its's not that?

Is there a valve (non return?) within the fridge, maybe that.

Have you checked for leaks?

I would be looking at the burner in case a bit of rust from the flue or cremated spider is acting like a reed in the gas flow from the jet. I can't think of anything else in the fridge that can make that sort of noise. If it was a refrigerant leak you would be complaining about an ammonia smell and in any case the liquid does not circulate under pressure like a compressor fridge. It's done by convection.

Thanks. There are no leaks in the system.

I'm back at my mooring now and back on mains so I'll look at the burner and hoover it out. It might be be something to do with the burner because the sound stopped as soon as I switched the fridge back to mains. However it sounds more like an electrical high pitch whine.

Edited by blackrose