Crane out near Preston Brook & Surveyor

EnglishRose

Featured Posts

Do we know if this is a first-time buyer? I agree the boat sounds good but surely we cannot advocate a newbie buyer skips having a survey done? If an experienced buyer I would agree that it might be worth the risk but we know how quickly things can change. What if the boat has suffered damage or MIC since 2019? A survey is no firm guarantee of a sound buy but surely it is better than nothing!

Just now, MrsM said:

Hi. Will this be your first boat? Marianne

It is, and although we are new to this we have also had some good advice and have some lovely neighbours who are experienced boaters owning a historic narrowboat and family members who previously owned narrowboats.

1 minute ago, EnglishRose said:

It is, and although we are new to this we have also had some good advice and have some lovely neighbours who are experienced boaters owning a historic narrowboat and family members who previously owned narrowboats.

That sounds good. Have they seen the boat and what is their advice re the survey/lift out? I have been very much erring on the side of caution as I'm a new owner myself. An experienced boater would obviously know better. Good luck. M

18 minutes ago, MrsM said:

That sounds good. Have they seen the boat and what is their advice re the survey/lift out? I have been very much erring on the side of caution as I'm a new owner myself. An experienced boater would obviously know better. Good luck. M

I would be surprised if Hesfords couldn't accommodate you fairly soon, with a lift out and a few days on the hard.

1 hour ago, Richard10002 said:

I would be surprised if Hesfords couldn't accommodate you fairly soon, with a lift out and a few days on the hard.

Nope, Hesfords was our first choice as that's where it was blasted and epoxy/serviced recently. No availability til October.

11 minutes ago, EnglishRose said:

Nope, Hesfords was our first choice as that's where it was blasted and epoxy/serviced recently. No availability til October.

WoW! well that puts paid to my thoughts of three weeks there in September for a bit of painting, and a survey if one was available.

English Rose,if it was me looking at this boat and I really wanted it,then after satisfying myself that the interior was ok and the engine started easily without too much smoke and clatter,it leaves the most important part,the hull.You may be able to negotiate a discount without a survey.

I would get my overalls on roll up sleeves and lie beside the boat and run my hand along the hull as deep as possible along the full length.

Does it feel as rough as a bear's backside on a frosty night,or nice and smooth.It will probably be somewhere in between.The baseplate you will have to guess.

Without a survey,there is little else you can do.

Buying or not is your choice depending on how risk averse you are.

I know members of this forum will point out that all elderly boats feel rough below the waterline,but there is rough and really rough pitted hulls.

• Love 1