Crane out near Preston Brook & Surveyor

EnglishRose

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, EnglishRose said:

Anyone have any idea on the closest place we can get a boat craned out for a survey on a boat close to Preston Brook Marina?

Also surveyors you'd recommend in Cheshire.

There's Dutton dry dock the other end of Preston Brook tunnel. Or perhaps Hesford Marine at Lymm.

5 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

Welcome to the world of boatyards and boatbuilders.

Timetables and customer service seem to be an alien concept to many of them.

Dutton is fully booked until end of October. The next closest one is Hesfords around 3 hours cruising from where it is now but they don't open til Monday and neither do Northwich Dry Dock which is even further so we can't do anything til then. So far not having any luck with surveyor either. I suspect the boat will be sold by someone willing to take a chance on it long before we could get it taken out of the water for a survey. I'll take it as fate if it sells.

Edited by EnglishRose

8 minutes ago, EnglishRose said:

Dutton is fully booked until end of October. The next closest one is Hesfords around 3 hours cruising from where it is now but they don't open til Monday and neither do Northwich Dry Dock which is even further so we can't do anything til then. So far not having any luck with surveyor either. I suspect the boat will be sold by someone willing to take a chance on it long before we could get it taken out of the water for a survey. I'll take it as fate if it sells.

I'm not making any suggestion that you should do this, but reports from Brokers are indicating that more and more boats are being sold without a survey, as a quick decision and quick payment are the only way to secure the boat.

Boats are even selling 'unseen' over the telephone.

It is unfortunately for buyers (or fortunately for sellers) the state of the current market. Any half decent boat marketed at a fair price will sell within a couple of days.

Good luck.

7 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I'm not making any suggestion that you should do this, but reports from Brokers are indicating that more and more boats are being sold without a survey, as a quick decision and quick payment are the only way to secure the boat.

Boats are even selling 'unseen' over the telephone.

It is unfortunately for buyers (or fortunately for sellers) the state of the current market. Any half decent boat marketed at a fair price will sell within a couple of days.

Good luck.

Yep and I'm sure this one will and having seen lots of paperwork etc and checked our as much as we can and negotiated a price I feel was very competitive subject to survey that doesn't seem to be inflated compared to pricing I've seen over the past 18 months or so. It's a lovely 26.5ft boat and someone will take the risk.

The only thing I can try and do is offer a lower price without survey but it's a chance.

Or just hold our guns and keep looking for a small boat and hope things calm down in the future.

Edited by EnglishRose

7 minutes ago, EnglishRose said:

Yep and I'm sure this one will and having seen lots of paperwork etc and checked our as much as we can and negotiated a price I feel was very competitive subject to survey that doesn't seem to be inflated compared to pricing I've seen over the past 18 months or so. It's a lovely 26.5ft boat and someone will take the risk.

The only thing I can try and do is offer a lower price without survey but it's a chance.

Or just hold our guns and keep looking for a small boat and hope things calm down in the future.

Had you considered paying a deposit (say 10%) and purchase subject to survey and him / her immediately taking it off the market ?

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

Had you considered paying a deposit (say 10%) and purchase subject to survey and him / her immediately taking it off the market ?

They won't do it as they have a new boat and are paying two lots of mooring fees and in the current market they think it may sell quicker than potentially having to wait til October which may be the earliest it can be taken out of the water for a survey. With them not having a survey they seem a bit perplexed on why we want one as they bought it from someone who they knew, they then had it out of the water and it had anything it wanted etc - receipts and history seem to suggest they literally have just had done whatever it's needed e.g.new annodes, sand blasting, epoxy 2 pack etc in 2019.

Everytime they do viewings have to move it out of the marina so the marina don't see them showing people round as they want a cut.

16 minutes ago, EnglishRose said:

Perhaps you should take the risk. A survey isn't a guarantee of problem-free boat. You may not get a boat otherwise. (And you will at least save the cost of the docking and survey, which are probably significant compared with the cost of a 26 ft boat).

9 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Note that Runcorn dry dock isn't the same as Dutton dry dock, it's turn right out of Preston Brook not left then right.

Dutton has nothing til end of October. Runcorn I'm trying to get hold off. Northwich has nothing either for months.

Dutton dry dock

Runcorn dry dock

Hesfords slipway

ABC (Anderton) floating dry dock

Uplands Marina (Anderton) slipway

Wincham Wharf crane and (I think) dry dock

Middlewich dry dock (in the lock flight)

Kings Lock slipway

Orchard Marina dry dock is no more.

• Love 1

52 minutes ago, AndrewIC said:

Dutton dry dock

Runcorn dry dock

Hesfords slipway

ABC (Anderton) floating dry dock

Uplands Marina (Anderton) slipway

Wincham Wharf crane and (I think) dry dock

Middlewich dry dock (in the lock flight)

Kings Lock slipway

Orchard Marina dry dock is no more.

Wincham is straddle crane, very easy and Tom is very obliging.

Middlewich dry dock is not available for any use other than the hire fleet owner.

I would take the plunge, offer a little less and buy it whilst you can.But then I don't like surveys, there are so many get out clauses that they tend to be almost worthless.

• Greenie 3

On 17/07/2021 at 13:11, Tracy D'arth said:

Wincham is straddle crane, very easy and Tom is very obliging.

Middlewich dry dock is not available for any use other than the hire fleet owner.

I would take the plunge, offer a little less and buy it whilst you can.But then I don't like surveys, there are so many get out clauses that they tend to be almost worthless.

Lymm Marina also have a straddle crane. 4/5 hours sail from Preston Brook

On 18/07/2021 at 21:44, Pie Eater said:

Lymm Marina also have a straddle crane. 4/5 hours sail from Preston Brook

Not for public use though unfortunately, many have asked but have been refused.

7 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

What do think a survey will show up that you can't see for yourself ? 

If you have good evidence that the Hull is OK / been looked after not sure what you will get from an out-of water survey ? 

Probably moral support that it is the right decision, or, the false sense of security that it it all goes pear shaped then you can sue the surveyor (as if ........................)

9 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

What do think a survey will show up that you can't see for yourself ? 

If you have good evidence that the Hull is OK / been looked after not sure what you will get from an out-of water survey ? 

What evidence can he have that the hull is OK?

Unless he has X-Ray vision, and can measure the hull thickness with his superpower, an out of the water survey will give him lots of reassuring information that he currently doesn't have - whether or not he can sue the surveyor for things missed.

31 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

What evidence can he have that the hull is OK?

Unless he has X-Ray vision, and can measure the hull thickness with his superpower, an out of the water survey will give him lots of reassuring information that he currently doesn't have - whether or not he can sue the surveyor for things missed.

True but the OP states the Hull was shot blasted and epoxied in 2019 and he's seen the receipts so coupled with the evidence of his mk 1 eyeballs he can make a decision on the risk he's taking. The seller appears have a genuine reason for sale so to me all adds up but then neither of us is buying it....

I'm with Alan and Tracy and would only bother with a survey if I was concerned about the Hull soundness and if I was I'd probably walk away anyway.