Another "Oh dear, my boat has sunk"

Tam & Di

Featured Posts

I don't know if this link will work, but it not a "I need to get my wellies on and see what I can do" job. It a 38m péniche lived on by a 90 year old English guy at Liége on the Belgian Meuse, and you can only hope he is well insured - there is no mention of where he is, but I assume he managed to escape. The commentary is expressing the hope that it will not cause damage to the next bridge, which is quite a realistic possibiity of course.

https://www.sudinfo.be/id405926/article/2021-07-16/une-peniche-vient-de-couler-liege-et-ete-emportee-par-la-meuse-video

Tam

Edited by Tam & Di

That’s really bad. We’ve stopped on that wall overnight in the past as they wouldn’t let us inside where the cruisers are. Biggest problem than was the wash from the big barges which run at night. There’s an awful lot of water coming down the Meuse .

Another series of 4 videos from the same source shows a young couple who have been forced to leave their 38m ship on the quay at Namur for safety. You see them on the quay doing what little they can, and the water level is visibly rising while they are filmed. At the last video the quay is well below water but their ship looks to be OK as it has plenty of long strong lines out, but there is always the possibility of it floating over the quay and getting into trouble when the waters drop off as there was not much they could do to avoid that chance.

Tam

3 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Blimey 😲

I wonder where they will eventually find that one 🤔

If it gets through the bridge it’s a long way to the deep lock at Lanaye but there’s lots of wharfs which will have big barges on them

Blimey, poor guy, how frightening is that.

If it's the one in the photo we stayed in the haven overnight. (We had to reverse out because we couldn't turn.)

There was some fresh water about (30th April '09) but boy, oh boy, what a sight that is now.

The bridge is close by downstream.

liege 2 sm.jpg

Edited by Boaty Jo

40 minutes ago, cobaltcodd said:

That looks to be the video I linked to with my opening post! The rain does appear to have stopped here in Burgundy but it will still be a few dayes for the water to run off.

Tam