Ashby Canal vandalism.

pig

Featured Posts

15 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Discussed on another thread - it appears that whilst looking at risque stuff he has taken a 'bug' on board.

It may appear that way to you!:D. I never look at anything more risqué on the internet than old records, steam trains and cricket scores.

On my screen, my avatar shows correctly, i.e. a photo of my boat in front of my house. 

5 minutes ago, Athy said:

It may appear that way to you!:D. I never look at anything more risqué on the internet than old records, steam trains and cricket scores.

On my screen, my avatar shows correctly, i.e. a photo of my boat in front of my house. 

Well Athy your avatar is certainly not your house and is a little cheeky, don't let Mrs Athy see it!   Athy  This is what we see!

Has someone hacked your account? If so that could be serious. 

19 minutes ago, Athy said:

If you clear your browser cache for the forum website and then reload you should see the latest (cheeky) avatar instead of the one your browser has cached...

31 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Well Athy your avatar is certainly not your house and is a little cheeky, don't let Mrs Athy see it!   Athy  This is what we see!

Has someone hacked your account? If so that could be serious. 

But your picture does show the house and boat.

I don't see it as serious, just a harmless prank, but I do wonder (as a bear of little brain when it comes to I.T.) how it could be done, and indeed why. Apparently at least two other staff members have had the same thing happen to them - perhaps other members too, but people who don't post prolifically, so no one has noticed yet.

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

But your picture does show the house and boat.

I don't see it as serious, just a harmless prank, but I do wonder (as a bear of little brain when it comes to I.T.) how it could be done, and indeed why. Apparently at least two other staff members have had the same thing happen to them - perhaps other members too, but people who don't post prolifically, so no one has noticed yet.

Same image name, different image. To make things quicker for the user, browsers will save files from websites locally in whats called a cache, so when you return it merely loads that content from your machine (if certain details match like the name) so it doesn’t waste time re-downloading it. If you clear your cache it should force your device to re-acquire that image and you’ll see what the rest of us see (in theory). Occasionally you have to locate where your browser stores these files and manually delete them to force the change.

Sorry if you already know this and i’m teaching Athy to suck eggs ;) 

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

Sorry if you already know this and i’m teaching Athy to suck eggs ;) 

Not at all: as I said, I am far from being an I.T. boffin.

This morning I have reloaded my photo, by going to my profile, pressing "Cover Photo" and selecting a picture from the "Pictures" file in my computer. It's the same house-and-boat picture as before. So I hope I have "cured" the problem but, knowing my I.T. track record, I wouldn't place a bet on it.

9 minutes ago, Athy said:

This morning I have reloaded my photo, by going to my profile, pressing "Cover Photo" and selecting a picture from the "Pictures" file in my computer. It's the same house-and-boat picture as before. So I hope I have "cured" the problem but, knowing my I.T. track record, I wouldn't place a bet on it.

It could also be a server issue, get one of the Admins to delete “av-6877.jpg” from the forum uploads folder and try again (thats where it seems to be grabbing it from) not sure if the board itself uses a cache on its side of things as PHP and databases went over my head years ago.

EDIT: Cover photo is the wrong one to change, thats the big pic in your profile, its the Profile pic you change (go to profile and theres a small edit button in bottom left of profile pic)

E04D4828-E10D-489A-9EFD-1183766E7D90.jpeg

06051FF6-20E3-4121-AFB9-811B85DB4A23.jpeg

Edited by Hudds Lad
  • Greenie 1

8 hours ago, Athy said:

Yup. The picture of Trojan has been restored for me, however I view your avatar.

Edited by David Mack

On 15/07/2021 at 20:05, David Mack said:

Except that wasn't quite totally mindless vandalism. The farmers access road had been taken to bring the canal under the motorway, he had had a new bridge built, for access to his farm, but he still had a grudge, don't know why, as well as sawing the beams off he had previously dug a hole in the canal bank (best say allegedly). 

On 16/07/2021 at 10:20, Athy said:

It's still there in both Firefox and Microsoft Edge, also there on the ipad.

Edited by David Schweizer

34 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

It's still there in both Firefox and Microsoft Edge, also there on the ipad.

Looks like you are stuck with it Athy.  Close your account and start again?

PS Can you make it bigger? The guy next door can't see the details through the window and if he doesn't go away I am going to have to pin him.

• Haha 2

I've also been told that my avatar has reverted to its normal self (house and boat). That's what I ccan see on my screen, so i shan't let it worry me.

I do wonder how it happened though.

18 minutes ago, Athy said:

I've also been told that my avatar has reverted to its normal self (house and boat). That's what I ccan see on my screen, so i shan't let it worry me.

I do wonder how it happened though.

Ive never seen your changed avatar, other then when other members have posted screen shots of it.

Whatever the cause its pretty shite that the site owner @DHutch doesnt seem to have the 'were with all' to sort this.

Perhaps if he visited the forum more often he might even know it was an issue?