Marina facilities

Jporter

Featured Posts

26 minutes ago, Jporter said:

The facilities are not like those in coastal sailing marinas.

When we call into Plymouth for a day or two the marina actually has individual bathrooms for visitors, with full bath, shower, basin, toilet and loads of space. But I guess thats what £35 a night gets you.

Screenshot (333)_LI.jpg

41 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

When we call into Plymouth for a day or two the marina actually has individual bathrooms for visitors, with full bath, shower, basin, toilet and loads of space. But I guess thats what £35 a night gets you.

Well yes, but if we all paid CRT over a thousand quid a month they could probably afford a few more showers too!

9 hours ago, Jporter said:

Do all narrowboats have reasonable showers then?

Most do - ours is so reasonable it makes me smile every time I use it! :)

(It's nice to smile at Christmas and on your birthday though, isn't it?)

9 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Well yes, but if we all paid CRT over a thousand quid a month they could probably afford a few more showers too!

Anyone planning to spend a month moored up would not be paying a daily-rate.

Have you looked at the daily rate for NBs in inland marinas (typically £10-£20 a night) but I very much doubt that C&RT get any of that either.

On 16/07/2021 at 07:39, Sea Dog said:

Most do - ours is so reasonable it makes me smile every time I use it! :)

(It's nice to smile at Christmas and on your birthday though, isn't it?)

You shower twice a year??? that seems a bit excessive 🤣.

On 15/07/2021 at 22:31, Jporter said:

Taking the Kennet and Avon from Reading there are no CRT showers. Just 2 or the first 4 marinas on the route from Reading have showers. The facilities are not like those in coastal sailing marinas. Do all narrowboats have reasonable showers then?

Of course we have showers, civilised folk us. We also have central heating and real lavatories, no rough over the side for us.

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Of course we have showers, civilised folk us. We also have central heating and real lavatories, no rough over the side for us.

There is a dilemma here as only a trailer sailor type boat would function as a reasonable yacht and be used on the canal too. You won’t find much in the way of facilities in that league.

If I could afford to run a yacht the same length as your boat, I would probably have a crew too to clean the toilets and I certainly wouldn’t be able to bring it on the canal. 

On 15/07/2021 at 22:57, Alan de Enfield said:

Screenshot (333)_LI.jpg

Have you found a canal which will take that beast?

14 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Not in this country - the 60 foot mast (almost 3x telegraph poles) is a bit awkward.

Gloucester & Sharpness would be OK.

Getting there is easy enough if you like sailing around Cornwall and up the Severn ...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Gloucester & Sharpness would be OK.

Getting there is easy enough if you like sailing around Cornwall and up the Severn ...

That's not far - she is in Plymouth already.

It is 277nm from Plymouth to Bristol (nearest major Port) so could be fairly easily done in a weekend (2.3 days at 5knts)

Screenshot (491).png