Thoughts on this boat welcome, please

NB DW2

Featured Posts

32 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

He wants a cassette loo not a composting loo.

Yes, but if buying at that price he would have funds left over to have it converted.

I'm struggling to find the link... is it the Aintree up at Frouds Bridge we're talking about?

What's wrong with a compost?  Surely they're the easiest to manage, with you just having to bag stuff up and throw it in the nearest CRT bin?  😉

5 minutes ago, NB DW2 said:

I'm struggling to find the link... is it the Aintree up at Frouds Bridge we're talking about?

What's wrong with a compost?  Surely they're the easiest to manage, with you just having to bag stuff up and throw it in the nearest CRT bin?  😉

No. I think that one would probably be too small for you. This one's in Cheshire if I remember aright.

The full title is something like 'Sub £50k 54 foot liveaboard boat in ready to go condition'. It was posted by member Tracy d'Arth.

Edited by Athy

53 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

You've done it now @matty40s The wife would like to know about that boat 😂 even if it’s just builder/size etc.

Norton Canes, gas free, 11kw genset, think it's got a 3 pot Lister(JP?),  called Kano, not for sale, out for the summer with another vintage bike enthusiast...

20210720_163306.jpg

I hate gas free boats, starting the engine for a brew at bedtime is just madness.

That 54 footer,  Evening Calm, is now at Venetian on brokerage @ £44.995, told you all he wanted a fast sale and no one bothered. I won't be there long.

21 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I hate gas free boats, starting the engine for a brew at bedtime is just madness.

That 54 footer,  Evening Calm, is now at Venetian on brokerage @ £44.995, told you all he wanted a fast sale and no one bothered. I won't be there long.

At least you are keeping the ugly boat thread going

• Unimpressed 1

6 minutes ago, Tonka said:

It's not got a proper engine, will dredge the canals, is a pig to fill the fuel tanks, has rusty rivets, is about to get in the front and back, and you have to walk sideways down the boat.

I know Nick loves his, but later Hudson's are not for living on, just for oneupmanship holiday cruising.

1 minute ago, matty40s said:

It's not got a proper engine, will dredge the canals, is a pig to fill the fuel tanks, has rusty rivets, is about to get in the front and back, and you have to walk sideways down the boat.

I know Nick loves his, but later Hudson's are not for living on, just for oneupmanship holiday cruising.

can i ask @matty40s, why is it a pig to fill the fuel tanks ?

Hudson had this idea that his boats should have balanced fuel tanks, one each side, unfortunately connected by a quite thin steel tube. 

To fuel a Hudson, generally has the owner inside, shouting instructions at you when to fill and when to stop, if you dont follow either his, or his butlers instructions, the fuel backs up and spurts out the filling hole, even when the tanks are only half full. It generally takes double the filling time of an inferior boat to fill the superior Hudson

17 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Hudson had this idea that his boats should have balanced fuel tanks, one each side, unfortunately connected by a quite thin steel tube. 

To fuel a Hudson, generally has the owner inside, shouting instructions at you when to fill and when to stop, if you dont follow either his, or his butlers instructions, the fuel backs up and spurts out the filling hole, even when the tanks are only half full. It generally takes double the filling time of an inferior boat to fill the superior Hudson

My Dave Harris likes to spurt out like that. The filler is on the walkway and the tank goes across the boat under the boatman's cabin.

3 hours ago, matty40s said:

With a big Woolwich the connecting pipe is bigger, but you fill up on one side until it looks full, then the fuel disappears and you have to fill again if you want completely topping up. And again!

23 minutes ago, David Mack said:

With a big Woolwich the connecting pipe is bigger, but you fill up on one side until it looks full, then the fuel disappears and you have to fill again if you want completely topping up. And again!

My boat can be a bit of a 'slow filler' as it is set up with a 1000 litre keel tank and 900 litre wing tanks on each side. The three tanks are connected by 32mm piping.

Ensure all stop-cocks between the tanks are open.

The filler goes into the first wing-tank, which then runs thru and fills the keel tank, once the keel tank is full the fuel entering from the filler goes into both wing-tanks and they both start to fill together.

I must admit I try to avoid filling from empty as few marinas have ~3000 litres 'to spare', it takes ages to fill and the invoice is frightening.

I generally just keep topping it up with 200 or 300 litres at a time. It costs the same but you can kid yourself its not really as bad.

With our previous boat, we called in at Dun Laoghaire and wanted 1000 litres but the marina didn't have that sort of quanitity to spare so we had to arrange for a fuel tanker to come down onto the harbour wall to fill us up. Even on the slowest pumping rate (it seemed like a 100 litre a second - but wasn't) we had problems with frothing and blow back and ended up having to wash the decks down to get rid of the diesel froth that 'boiled' up out if the air vent and filler.

We do have fun.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

• 1 month later...
On 20/07/2021 at 19:19, Tracy D'arth said:

Why would you have to start the engine to boil a kettle? Any gas-free boat should have a big enough inverter and batteries to cope...