Thoughts on this boat welcome, please

NB DW2

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, MPR said:

Food grade plastic water cans are not expensive and a rinse out with Milton at the end of the season saw ours last at least 10 years.

I've got a 10 litre one and a 25 litre one, both bought about 4 years ago. The 25L one was used while I went through the long process of sorting out the integral water tank but not since as it's too cumbersome.

I do use the 10L one but mainly for refilling the milk bottles as they are much more convenient in daily use.

Viewing booked tomorrow morning for Elidir tomorrow AM.

Thanks for the honest feedback and encouragement on the engine front.

Any questions you'd ask during the viewing even if they seem obvious?  

Edited by NB DW2
  • Greenie 1

40 minutes ago, NB DW2 said:

Viewing booked tomorrow morning for Elidir tomorrow AM.

Thanks for the honest feedback and encouragement on the engine front.

Any questions you'd ask during the viewing even if they seem obvious?  

Are you seeing the owners or just the broker ?

So, round about now, DW2 is either being seduced by the siren sound of the Gardner, or holding his hands up in horror and saying "Ugh, I couldn't live with THAT!"

Come to think of it, "DW2" sounds as if it ought to be a type of traditional engine. Perhaps that's a portent.

Edited by Athy

Not had much time to update as I'm back at work having viewed the boat first thing and it's 120 miles in the wrong direction to work!

It's a lovely boat.  Obviously well cared for and kept immaculately.  I understand the owners' used it a lot but kept on top of it.  Nothing alarming found - false bottoms of cupboards etc pulled out, everything's dry.  Paint is in very good order for the year.

Negatives are the galley.  It's smaller than it appears on the photos and not a lot of cupboard space.  Same with storage in general for liveaboard use, it's lacking but I'm sure fine for leisure.  And although it seems trivial, there's nowhere for a washing machine to go.  I got one of the guys from the workshop over and he had a proper good look - the only place he reckoned on was removing the pretend stove at the stern but even then, not ideal and no obvious route for the water.

Unfortunately it's a no go I'm afraid and the search continues.  Certainly not put off by a Gardener 2LW though.  I did smack my head numerous times in the engine room cos I'm 6ft.

Was good to meet Bumble in the flesh though too.

• Greenie 3

I agree about the lack of cupboard space in the galley and I thought that cupboard under the gunwale opposite the sink was pretty useless but could be improved by the addition of a couple of shelves. 

A much nicer boat though than the other one you mentioned.

Haggis

Could the small cupboard behind the cooker be extended and the dinette moved to accommodate a washing machine? Overall its what we found - the needs and so layout for mainly a boat for holiday use is rather different to a liveaboard. They can all be shifted around of course, though often at a cost  and some boats are used for months of holiday at a time . 

7 minutes ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Could the small cupboard behind the cooker be extended and the dinette moved to accommodate a washing machine? Overall its what we found - the needs and so layout for mainly a boat for holiday use is rather different to a liveaboard. They can all be shifted around of course, though often at a cost  and some boats are used for months of holiday at a time . 

Probably not, if Bob from the workshop said no, it's pretty much a real no. He used to build the Stowe Hills, and we fit washing machines on boats regularly.

Thanks for the advice, all.

I do still like the other Stowe Hill boat despite it being the boat equivalent of a Toby Jug in it's exaggerated appearance!

The search is feeling like hard work now and knocking the enjoyment out of things.  I'm largely restricted to weekend viewings so miss out on anything decent that goes up for sale midweek but will keep on goin'.  There's still not much coming to market either.  

3 minutes ago, NB DW2 said:

There's still not much coming to market either.  

There is but you are not seeing it.

Boats are selling having never been advertised, folks are registering with ALL the brokers they can find, &, as a broker gets notification of a boat 'coming in' they will send out the details to people who have registered with them saying (something like) "new boat coming tomorrow at 10:00, it looks like it meets your requirements, first here gets the chance to buy it, it probably won't still be for sale by midday".

Are your registered with all the brokers ?

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

There is but you are not seeing it.

Boats are selling having never been advertised, folks are registering with ALL the brokers they can find, &, as a broker gets notification of a boat 'coming in' they will send out the details to people who have registered with them saying (something like) "new boat coming tomorrow at 10:00, it looks like it meets your requirements, first here gets the chance to buy it, it probably won't still be for sale by midday".

Are your registered with all the brokers ?

I'm registered with the lot of them.  I took a week off work last week to go at it.  In fairness I had some success with a few brokers, getting the details of boats they were just about to put to market and viewings ahead of anyone else.  But they just weren't what I was looking for.  This was with Boatfinder Brokerage, Calcutt and Lakeland Leisure.  

I'm registered with just about everyone and get the usual email updates.  But I guess they're not needing to be in a position where they're having to proactively call people.  Boats are selling regardless.

3 minutes ago, NB DW2 said:

I'm registered with the lot of them.  I took a week off work last week to go at it.  In fairness I had some success with a few brokers, getting the details of boats they were just about to put to market and viewings ahead of anyone else.  But they just weren't what I was looking for.  This was with Boatfinder Brokerage, Calcutt and Lakeland Leisure.  

I'm registered with just about everyone and get the usual email updates.  But I guess they're not needing to be in a position where they're having to proactively call people.  Boats are selling regardless.

Is there a max size in your mind or will you go to 70ft. I know Calcutt have Iris Rose which was a live aboard and is owned by the engineer and I know Great Heywood have a Dave Harris 70ft for sale

10 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Is there a max size in your mind or will you go to 70ft. I know Calcutt have Iris Rose which was a live aboard and is owned by the engineer and I know Great Heywood have a Dave Harris 70ft for sale

Cheers.

Up to 60ft ideally but as little as maybe 50ft.

I'm not to keen on the Dave Harris but do like the Colecraft that Calcutt have up for sale - the only thing is that it's gas free and that's something I'd really not do without. 

I've around £75k.  The only stipulations are:

Must be spray foamed

No owner fit-outs

Ideally a trad or semi trad or a tug deck

Prefer stainless steel tank but not essential

Must have gas

Prefer a cassette loo but not the end of the world

Open to most layouts types and bed types

Decent storage

Obviously, condition and provenance help too!

Edited by NB DW2

12 minutes ago, NB DW2 said:

Cheers.

Up to 60ft ideally but as little as maybe 50ft.

I'm not to keen on the Dave Harris but do like the Colecraft that Calcutt have up for sale - the only thing is that it's gas free and that's something I'd really not do without. 

I've around £75k.  The only stipulations are:

Must be spray foamed

No owner fit-outs

Ideally a trad or semi trad or a tug deck

Prefer stainless steel tank but not essential

Must have gas

Prefer a cassette loo but not the end of the world

Open to most layouts types and bed types

Decent storage

Obviously, condition and provenance help too!

I hadn't realised that Iris Rose was gas free which surprised me as he had the boat built to cruise apparently.